Jump to topic:

Has this happened to someone else?

GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 4:38:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Have you ever become afraid when you realize you are breathing? I was listening to Alan Watts from a lecture on the present, and he spoke about the voluntary, and involuntary nature of breathing, and said all are just happenings. I hate that breath in, breath out hogwash, but I am shocked when I realize how scary it can seem when I really feel like it's happening to me and us all, I feel like we are all just ignoring how freaky this fish-like burden to breath is for us.. I try to be skeptical, but now have this shadow fear looming when thinking about breathing. Could anyone else see breathing for this frightening reality?
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 10:55:06 AM
At 8/7/2014 4:38:39 AM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:
Have you ever become afraid when you realize you are breathing? I was listening to Alan Watts from a lecture on the present, and he spoke about the voluntary, and involuntary nature of breathing, and said all are just happenings. I hate that breath in, breath out hogwash, but I am shocked when I realize how scary it can seem when I really feel like it's happening to me and us all, I feel like we are all just ignoring how freaky this fish-like burden to breath is for us.. I try to be skeptical, but now have this shadow fear looming when thinking about breathing. Could anyone else see breathing for this frightening reality?

Well we need to breath to live just as we need our hearts to beat. We shouldn't be able to control these things, because many would simply just die; either by simple ignorance or forgetting.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 7:15:21 PM
Can't say I have ever been scared of breathing, but on several occasions the inability to breath has almost caused me to die and scare the crap out of me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ArcTImes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 3:59:13 PM
Yeah, I felt scared some times when I realized I was breathing. I mean, sure, I know we breathe all the time, but when you notice it you feel like you are doing it voluntarily and if you forget you die lol.
But it seems to me that it's an irrational fear.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 3:30:52 AM
I don't think I've had the fear you are describing, but I have had a bit of a shock when I realized that I wasn't breathing and hadn't been breathing for a little while until I finally realized it and had to do it consciously. I wouldn't really call it "afraid", but it was a little surprise of,"Holy sh*t, I haven't been breathing for the last minute or so." I guess it's not all that unreasonable to become afraid at the contemplation of the weakness and vulnerability of all people, even the ones who like to indulge in their delusions of perceived strength and invulnerability. When it comes down to it, all human beings are pretty weak and die quite easily. It really doesn't take much to kill a man or woman, and no one is safe from the simplest of fatal little misfortunes. If you make a little mistake when driving (especially in bad weather that happens multiple times every year), you die. If you get bit by some poisonous tiny little insect found almost anywhere and everywhere, you die. You try to swallow a bit of food that catches in your throat just one of the many times you will have to eat each and every day of your life, you die. Deposits build in your arteries without your knowledge, you die. You misstep while climbing or descending stairs, you die. You simply trip while walking and hit your head, you die. You just happen to catch one of the many many possible deadly diseases, you die. You just didn't happen to win the jackpot when it comes to your genetics and develop any unnumbered problems that you can't change and can't fix, you die. You're at the wrong place at the wrong time and some crazy @sshole decides to start a killing spree for whatever reason, you die. The fvcking dog farts, you die. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

How many billions of ways can we die and we can't do a d@mn thing about it? It's a wonder that any of us are even still alive. Even the idea that our insignificant little planet has stayed in a perfectly balanced position in relation to our sun and all the other planets for billions of years without the slightest upset makes me wonder,"Are we just taking a gamble at this point (even if we have no choice in the matter)? Sure, our solar system has stayed balanced enough to sustain life on our tiny little rock up until now, but how long can that really last?" If our planet even had a collision with the wrong thing in space, we'd all die. What if we just started to get a little too close to the incredible gravitational force of a black hole? Here's a small number of the many ways we could all die (not to mention the 'who knows how many' ways that we may not even be able to think of in our limited little human capacity for understanding and what little learning humankind has been able to accomplish altogether).

http://discovermagazine.com...