Jump to topic:

Can you refute this proposition?

Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 2:51:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is it possible to reasonably refute the proposition: "Something exists." I see no reasonable justification for arguing against this disregarding semantic confusion. I think this proposition is special because it is seemingly irrefutable and can be known to be true with absolute certainty, it is not a counterfactual, and it is not a truth by it's own definition (like all bachelors are unmarried). Do you know of any other propositions like this that are absolutely true?
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 8:09:27 PM
I doubt it.

You have to start some here. I think "something exists" is the first move. Everything after that is debatable.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 9:44:56 PM
When I see stuff like this I wonder to myself, what is the point of pointlessness. What knowledge is to be gained arguing pointlessness. Asking people to refute existence? What is it an exercise in wanting to hear yourself talk for the sake of hearing yourself talk. in this case in the form of the written word. What if any intellectual value could be passed on? Does one think they have some new perspective on all of existence that every generation before them didn't already think about. What "hasn't" already been said about existence since the dawn of man is a better question and a better challenge.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 11:51:11 PM
At 8/8/2014 2:51:11 PM, Orangatang wrote:
Is it possible to reasonably refute the proposition: "Something exists." I see no reasonable justification for arguing against this disregarding semantic confusion. I think this proposition is special because it is seemingly irrefutable and can be known to be true with absolute certainty, it is not a counterfactual, and it is not a truth by it's own definition (like all bachelors are unmarried). Do you know of any other propositions like this that are absolutely true?

This is an easy one; of course it is not possible to refute it! A refutation is something, ergo, the very act of trying to refute it presupposes that something exists (it would be a self-refuting argument). If one tries to claim that a refutation is nothing, then there is literally nothing to combat the proposition "something exists".

So, no it is not possible to reasonably refute the proposition.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 11:51:50 PM
At 8/8/2014 9:44:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
When I see stuff like this I wonder to myself, what is the point of pointlessness. What knowledge is to be gained arguing pointlessness. Asking people to refute existence? What is it an exercise in wanting to hear yourself talk for the sake of hearing yourself talk. in this case in the form of the written word. What if any intellectual value could be passed on? Does one think they have some new perspective on all of existence that every generation before them didn't already think about. What "hasn't" already been said about existence since the dawn of man is a better question and a better challenge.

I am genuinely interested in some reasonable argument against this proposition because I failed to do it in my first ever debate on this site regarding absolute certainty, and I still have not come up with an answer. I did not think there it was possible to know something with absolute certainty, until I came unto this proposition, counterfactuals, and perhaps some basic axioms of logic. This is just philosophical curiosity not some thread for me to boast about. I am asking for some other propositions that perhaps I am not aware about that is true and can be known with absolute certainty. I do this because I am extremely curious and passionate about what truth actually is.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 11:52:11 PM

Sadly, none but the greatest philosophers come up with new questions and areas to explore. Luckily many people don't posses the knowledge that already exists, so I see no problem with someone repeating it.

The question is not pointless, for it serves the purpose of proving objectivity and existence, two things that are extremely important to philosophy are those two things.
Nolite Timere
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 11:53:12 PM
At 8/8/2014 11:51:11 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

This is an easy one; of course it is not possible to refute it! A refutation is something, ergo, the very act of trying to refute it presupposes that something exists (it would be a self-refuting argument). If one tries to claim that a refutation is nothing, then there is literally nothing to combat the proposition "something exists".

Good way to put it.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 11:57:36 PM
At 8/8/2014 8:09:27 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
I doubt it.

You have to start some here. I think "something exists" is the first move. Everything after that is debatable.

I think that, more fundamentally (and specifically), is the mental world that is the starting point and first move. To hold any belief and to have any idea to argue anything; a mental world must exist. It just so happens to be in the generally category of "something that exists", but that is vague terminology in my opinion when discussing the true first move.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 1:01:28 AM
If I were in a debate, I would say that there is no way to objectively prove existence. And if there is no way to prove that something exists, then the default position would be nonexistence.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 1:47:14 AM
At 8/8/2014 11:57:36 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I doubt it.

I think that, more fundamentally (and specifically), is the mental world that is the starting point and first move. To hold any belief and to have any idea to argue anything; a mental world must exist. It just so happens to be in the generally category of "something that exists", but that is vague terminology in my opinion when discussing the true first move.

I see "something exists" as more fundamental, thus that's your starting point.

Sure from that you might make further argument to support some kind of mental argument, but your starting point before that is still something exists or the more classic why is there something rather than nothing.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 7:42:50 AM

This is a use-mention fallacy.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 7:52:01 AM
At 8/8/2014 11:52:11 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Sadly, none but the greatest philosophers come up with new questions and areas to explore. Luckily many people don't posses the knowledge that already exists, so I see no problem with someone repeating it.

The question is not pointless, for it serves the purpose of proving objectivity and existence, two things that are extremely important to philosophy are those two things.

Go break a mans arm and then argue his broken arm doesn't really exist with him.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 12:47:05 PM
At 8/9/2014 1:47:14 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
I doubt it.

Sure from that you might make further argument to support some kind of mental argument, but your starting point before that is still something exists or the more classic why is there something rather than nothing.

But the "something" that we are saying must exist as the starting point is a mental world to be specific.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 12:48:19 PM
At 8/9/2014 7:42:50 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

This is a use-mention fallacy.

This is a bare-assertion fallacy. Unless you can explain how I committed the fallacy, then just naming fallacies is useless.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 12:50:28 PM
At 8/9/2014 1:01:28 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
If I were in a debate, I would say that there is no way to objectively prove existence.

Of course there is.

P1: If there is no existence, then this argument does not exist
P2: This argument exists
C: Therefore, there is existence (follows Modus Tollens)

And if there is no way to prove that something exists, then the default position would be nonexistence.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 2:34:45 PM
At 8/9/2014 12:50:28 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
If I were in a debate, I would say that there is no way to objectively prove existence.

Of course there is.

And if there is no way to prove that something exists, then the default position would be nonexistence.

There's no proof that the argument exists.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 4:55:18 PM
At 8/9/2014 2:34:45 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Of course there is.

Then there's no proof you've refuted it. So it stands.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 6:59:38 PM
If I were in a debate, I would say that there is no way to objectively prove existence. And if there is no way to prove that something exists, then the default position would be nonexistence.

First of all why is the default position non-existence? I can't prove that I exist to you, but if you are thinking right now then clearly something must exist. It is the problem of solipsism, but even solipsists agree that something exists.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 9:56:27 PM
At 8/9/2014 2:34:45 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Of course there is.

Even if the argument is an illusion; an illusion is still something. Ergo, "something" has to exist. There is your proof.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 10:08:02 PM

Isn't your own proposition that there is no way to prove something exists, something that exists in of itself? In other words, you can't argue that you cannot prove existence without proving existence.
Nolite Timere
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 1:28:50 AM
At 8/9/2014 12:47:05 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I doubt it.

But the "something" that we are saying must exist as the starting point is a mental world to be specific.

That's debatable.

What is less debatable is that.....................something exists.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 6:58:23 AM
At 8/10/2014 1:28:50 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/9/2014 12:47:05 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I doubt it.

That's debatable.

It's not even close to debatable. Debates stem from ideas in minds, so the mental world must exist for a debate to even occur. The mental world must exists before anything can be posited as existing. It is the "something" that must exist before we can even try to claim anything else exists

What is less debatable is that.....................something exists.

Nope; they are both just as debatable. You cannot doubt a mental world, because "doubt" itself is a mental state! Just like how you cannot doubt something exists, because doubt is itself something. It is JUST as absurd to doubt the mental world, as it is to doubt that something exists. I don't see how it is "less" debatable. The reason why we have to admit something exists, is because a mental world exists.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 4:32:55 PM
Is it possible to reasonably refute the proposition: "Something exists."

One could refute the contention that it actually constitutes a proposition on several levels.

1) Concrete facts are not normally considered a proposition in most logical systems.

2) , A proposition must be a bearer of truth or falsity, and It's poorly constructed because it's opposite, "something does not exist" can also be considered true.

3) The terms are poorly defined, it's not really clear what "something" and "exists" are meant to designate.

4) It's a useless and therefore meaningless statement, unworthy of the term proposition in logic.

I see no reasonable justification for arguing against this disregarding semantic confusion.

It already contains semantic confusion.

I think this proposition is special because it is seemingly irrefutable and can be known to be true with absolute certainty, it is not a counterfactual, and it is not a truth by it's own definition (like all bachelors are unmarried).

I suppose you could say an invalid proposition is a "special" proposition.

Do you know of any other propositions like this that are absolutely true?

I suppose there are a lot of other propositions like it that are absolutely useless, but for absolutely true, how about "Something does not exist".
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 4:59:14 PM

I think, therefore I am. The only existence that can be proven to no one other than the thinker. I can't prove my existence to you, can you can't prove your existence to me. But you prove it to yourself, and I prove it to myself. While that is the only thing that can be objectively proven to us, that still falls under that something exists.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 6:05:21 PM
At 8/10/2014 4:32:55 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
Is it possible to reasonably refute the proposition: "Something exists."

One could refute the contention that it actually constitutes a proposition on several levels.

1) Concrete facts are not normally considered a proposition in most logical systems.

Ok, I haven't actually studied logical systems. So "a tree is an organism" or "a triangle has three corners" aren't propositions?

2) , A proposition must be a bearer of truth or falsity, and It's poorly constructed because it's opposite, "something does not exist" can also be considered true.

Well if it was the case that there was absolutely nothing, then it would be false. Absolute nothingness is not something. I agree, something does not exist is also true, but it just happens to be the case because the term something is so general so as to include non-existent and existent entities.

3) The terms are poorly defined, it's not really clear what "something" and "exists" are meant to designate.

Colloquially I think most people understand what I am saying but here is how I would define them:

Something- An undetermined or unspecified thing.

Thing - some entity, object, and/or idea that may or may not exist.

Exist - to be actual or real rather than merely possible.

I can keep defining terms in these definitions but they are becoming more and more synonymous.

4) It's a useless and therefore meaningless statement, unworthy of the term proposition in logic.

Well, which is it? A fact which cannot be considered a proposition, or a meaningless statement? Or both? Did the definitions clear up some vagueness?

I see no reasonable justification for arguing against this disregarding semantic confusion.

It already contains semantic confusion.

Well yea, philosophy can make that true of anything.

I think this proposition is special because it is seemingly irrefutable and can be known to be true with absolute certainty, it is not a counterfactual, and it is not a truth by it's own definition (like all bachelors are unmarried).

I suppose you could say an invalid proposition is a "special" proposition.

Do you know of any other propositions like this that are absolutely true?

I suppose there are a lot of other propositions like it that are absolutely useless, but for absolutely true, how about "Something does not exist".

I never said it was useful, only absolutely true. This is interesting however because "something does not exist" is seemingly more true, it is a tautology. In the case that there is absolute nothingness, "something exists" would be false, but "something does not exist" would be true. In our actual thing-filled world, both propositions are true. However, I feel like I'm missing something, pun not intended.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:07:21 PM

When I see stuff like this I wonder to myself, if that's your take what are you doing in the philosophy section?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 8:01:42 PM
At 8/10/2014 7:07:21 PM, Double_R wrote:

When I see stuff like this I wonder to myself, if that's your take what are you doing in the philosophy section?

I have no problem with philosophy, There is no philosophical knowledge to be gained by refuting existence. refuting existence renders all philosophy moot.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 8:37:23 PM
I wouldn't say, like some people do, that you can "prove" axioms - that implies that, behind axioms, there is something else from which proofs can be extrapolated. Axioms are self-evidencies , that cannot be rejected. ANY statement or thought is based upon these axioms, and trying to refute them or to demand proof of them is, by definition, pointless and irrational, given that any such refutation or proof would have to first presuppose that the axioms are valid anyway.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 8:53:15 PM
At 8/10/2014 8:37:23 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I wouldn't say, like some people do, that you can "prove" axioms - that implies that, behind axioms, there is something else from which proofs can be extrapolated. Axioms are self-evidencies , that cannot be rejected. ANY statement or thought is based upon these axioms, and trying to refute them or to demand proof of them is, by definition, pointless and irrational, given that any such refutation or proof would have to first presuppose that the axioms are valid anyway.

So your saying that my proposition is an axiom and any type of refutation would vindicate it true? I agree. What other axioms do you have in mind? Law of identity?