Jump to topic:

Origin of swearing; sin or no sin.

CountCheechula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 5:34:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am wondering what the floor thinks about the origin of curse words, words that you can't use at DDO and more. Our opinion about it!
Also for all my theists out there:
SIN or NO SIN
*( we all know taking the name of the trinity into fowl discourse is a complete sin )*
Every man shall kneel and every tongue will confess.
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 1:28:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm no history buff, so I can't even begin to guess how swearing became taboo.

I have often thought about what swearing is and whether or not it is something I should care about.

There are a couple of questions I keep returning to.

When a person swears, what are they feeling?
In my case, it's usually anger, frustration, or malice.

When a person swears, what are their intentions?
In other words, why swear at all?
Usually, I swear because I am trying to communicate to others how I am feeling. Other times, it's used as a last-resort method to inflict pain on others.

In most situations there are better ways of communicating emotions than just swearing.
However, I do think that there are times when a four letter word can perfectly describe the way someone is feeling.

So what's society's problem with swearing?
I can't really tell. It seems like most people are more obsessed with the words themselves than the actual meanings behind them. I mean, the difference between "You Suck!" and "#$*% You!" is nonexistent in my mind, yet one is much more acceptable to society than the other.

It makes sense for society to want to condemn the kind of feelings and intentions that a person may have when they are using vulgarities to insult someone, but it doesn't make much sense to only condemn certain words that express those feelings.

Going back to whether or not it is something I care about, I tend to feel more like words are only as important as you want them to be. When other people swear it doesn't bother me. What concerns me is when people use them willy-nilly in situations that don't warrant them. How am I supposed to tell when that person is really upset if they use the same words as when they are perfectly calm?

Just my two-cents.