Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Are You Living the Good Life?

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 1:56:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The Good Life
The Fool: Ah, the good life. Something everybody wants, but not everybody gets.

Why not??

I have comprised a list of philosophical theories regarding the good life. Ideally we want to have it all. But "we can"t always get we want." (I always hated that song as a child.)

Now my question to you DDOers, is which life in the following list would you consider to be the best "good life"? And why?

The Contemplative Life
A life of assiduous, thought, questions, answers, and wisdom.
One where the unexamined life, is not worth living.

The Active life
A life in motion. A life of emotionally driven action. A life where many things happen. A life where one is so caught up, in the day-to-day, that a reflection about what happened, or why it happened is not worth a moment.
Is the unexamined life not worth living?

The Fatalist Life
A life with realistic hopes and desires. A life which realizes the possibility that all one"s efforts may in the end turn out to be fruitless. Cancer may claim us tommorow get cancer tomorrow or be struck by lightning. Therefore all we can really do, is give life a good-go and see how things turn out.

The Hedonist Life
A life focused one general pleasures. Good times, good-food, good sex, and a good laugh"

The Saintly Life
A selfless life. A supererogatory moral life. A life lived with selfless conscious for the sake of others. A life perhaps with little pleasures, but yet of great achievements.

The Illusionary Life
An intentional life lived in illusion. Perhaps as a brain of vat, where all your dreams appear to come true, but never really do.

Another way you can answer this, is to simply give a ranked list, from the best type of good life, to the least best. (A minimum of three)

E.g.
Illusionary
Contemplative
Active

Choose, and choose wisely. For you only get one life, and goes by faster than you think!
Yes, it does hurt sometimes.

<(86)
Against The Ideologist

But you may find"".
<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 2:36:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Edit
The Fatalist Life
*: A life with realistic hopes and desires. A life which realizes the possibility that all one"s efforts may in the end turn out to be fruitless. Cancer may claim us tomorrow, or we may be soon struck by lighting. Therefore all we can really do, is give life a good-go and see how things turn out.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 8:56:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 1:56:56 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Good Life
The Fool: Ah, the good life. Something everybody wants, but not everybody gets.

Why not??

I have comprised a list of philosophical theories regarding the good life. Ideally we want to have it all. But "we can"t always get we want." (I always hated that song as a child.)

Now my question to you DDOers, is which life in the following list would you consider to be the best "good life"? And why?

The Contemplative Life
A life of assiduous, thought, questions, answers, and wisdom.
One where the unexamined life, is not worth living.

The Active life
A life in motion. A life of emotionally driven action. A life where many things happen. A life where one is so caught up, in the day-to-day, that a reflection about what happened, or why it happened is not worth a moment.
Is the unexamined life not worth living?

The Fatalist Life
A life with realistic hopes and desires. A life which realizes the possibility that all one"s efforts may in the end turn out to be fruitless. Cancer may claim us tommorow get cancer tomorrow or be struck by lightning. Therefore all we can really do, is give life a good-go and see how things turn out.

The Hedonist Life
A life focused one general pleasures. Good times, good-food, good sex, and a good laugh"

The Saintly Life
A selfless life. A supererogatory moral life. A life lived with selfless conscious for the sake of others. A life perhaps with little pleasures, but yet of great achievements.

The Illusionary Life
An intentional life lived in illusion. Perhaps as a brain of vat, where all your dreams appear to come true, but never really do.

Another way you can answer this, is to simply give a ranked list, from the best type of good life, to the least best. (A minimum of three)

E.g.
Illusionary
Contemplative
Active

Choose, and choose wisely. For you only get one life, and goes by faster than you think!
Yes, it does hurt sometimes.

<(86)
Against The Ideologist

But you may find"".
<(89)


A life where you both accomplish great things and is also very active and adventurous. Of course, this life is not one that most people can hope to achieve.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 10:32:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Are You Living the Good Life? Yep, 6 unfinished money pit projects and enough money to complete them all, but very little time to work on them. Doesn't get any better than that.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 10:32:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Are You Living the Good Life? Yep, 6 unfinished money pit projects and enough money to complete them all, but very little time to work on them. Doesn't get any better than that.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Material_Girl
Posts: 264
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 12:53:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The best life is an indescribable one.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 12:29:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 12:53:09 PM, Material_Girl wrote:
The best life is an indescribable one.

The Fool: I'm not quite sure what you mean, can you clarify that little bit?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 12:53:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sadolite: Are You Living the Good Life? Yep, 6 unfinished money pit projects and enough money to complete them all, but very little time to work on them. Doesn't get any better than that.

The Fool: What you said was actually quite clever, but you know what? I put in a lot of effort trying to make them as different as possible, equally good, but essentially incomplete,to make the decision challenging, and worthwhile.
<(8O)

I give you "the good life", and this is what I get in return?
<(86)

Now, I"m going to be quite frank with you and tell you what"s really on my mind. Personally, I think you"re being a negative Nancy right now. Ok!

Against The Ideologist

And no one likes a negative Nancy.
<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Material_Girl
Posts: 264
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 5:43:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 12:29:31 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 8/13/2014 12:53:09 PM, Material_Girl wrote:
The best life is an indescribable one.

The Fool: I'm not quite sure what you mean, can you clarify that little bit?

A life that's such a complex web of interwoven actions and thoughts and emotions, so seemingly inexplicable and random, that it's impossible to define or classify. To me, the essence of life is its contradictions. I think the mysterious element there is to life, that we can't always make sense of it or we don't know why it makes sense, is what makes it so good.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 12:15:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 5:43:54 AM, Material_Girl wrote:
At 8/14/2014 12:29:31 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 8/13/2014 12:53:09 PM, Material_Girl wrote:
Material_Girl: The best life is an indescribable one.

The Fool: I'm not quite sure what you mean, can you clarify that little bit?

Material_Girl: A life that's such a complex web of interwoven actions and thoughts and emotions, so seemingly inexplicable and random, that it's impossible to define or classify. To me, the essence of life is its contradictions. I think the mysterious element there is to life, that we can't always make sense of it or we don't know why it makes sense, is what makes it so good.

The Fool: That sounds very mysterious. Are you mystic by any chance?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 3:47:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 12:53:26 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Sadolite: Are You Living the Good Life? Yep, 6 unfinished money pit projects and enough money to complete them all, but very little time to work on them. Doesn't get any better than that.

The Fool: What you said was actually quite clever, but you know what? I put in a lot of effort trying to make them as different as possible, equally good, but essentially incomplete,to make the decision challenging, and worthwhile.
<(8O)

I give you "the good life", and this is what I get in return?
<(86)

Now, I"m going to be quite frank with you and tell you what"s really on my mind. Personally, I think you"re being a negative Nancy right now. Ok!

Against The Ideologist

And no one likes a negative Nancy.
<(89)

HUh
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%