Jump to topic:

Would you consider Philo a Philospher?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 1:06:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I hear of this Jewish Philosopher named Philo of Alexendria (who is said to have lived during the time of Christ, but was 13 or 12 when Jesus was said to have been crucified). I don't know much of his philosophy, but if any of you know of him, do you think he's worth checking his works out?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:37:48 PM
At 8/13/2014 1:06:16 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
I hear of this Jewish Philosopher named Philo of Alexendria (who is said to have lived during the time of Christ, but was 13 or 12 when Jesus was said to have been crucified). I don't know much of his philosophy, but if any of you know of him, do you think he's worth checking his works out?

Depends on what you are interested in of course.

Jewish Gnosticism predates Christianity, I believe both Jesus and Philo were Gnostic Jews, and that early Christian philosophical thought was strongly influenced, if not completely defined by the Hellenization of Jewish Gnosticism. If that makes you crazy, then don't read Philo, if it intrigues you and it's something you'd like to explore further, then by all means, dive right in because Philo is a central figure.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 10:08:11 AM
At 8/13/2014 7:37:48 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Jewish Gnosticism predates Christianity, I believe both Jesus and Philo were Gnostic Jews, and that early Christian philosophical thought was strongly influenced, if not completely defined by the Hellenization of Jewish Gnosticism. If that makes you crazy, then don't read Philo, if it intrigues you and it's something you'd like to explore further, then by all means, dive right in because Philo is a central figure.

What is the Hellenistic philosohy. I keep hearing of it.
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 4:23:59 AM
At 8/14/2014 10:08:11 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 8/13/2014 7:37:48 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

What is the Hellenistic philosohy. I keep hearing of it.

Classical Era Philosophy; Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, those dudes.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 9:10:26 AM

From reading, I can see most of his philosophy was a reinterpretation of the Jewish bible based on classical Greek philosophy.

This might help a little: http://en.m.wikipedia.org...