Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Is it better to be an emotionless thinker?

Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:52:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

Spock.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:53:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:52:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

Spock.

lol my thoughts exactly
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:54:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:53:03 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:52:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

Spock.

lol my thoughts exactly

"lol" ? vulcans don't laugh.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:55:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:54:17 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:53:03 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:52:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

Spock.

lol my thoughts exactly

"lol" ? vulcans don't laugh.

this one does :)
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:11:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

Interesting. Society could potentially function much better, with less unproductive emotion-based close-minded thinking then if people could always look at things logically, but if we didn't have emotions then who is to say we'd even form a society. You even said yourself that you are arrogant in your logical thinking which stems to emotional pride, which is the number one most useless emotion of humanity.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:22:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:11:42 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

Interesting. Society could potentially function much better, with less unproductive emotion-based close-minded thinking then if people could always look at things logically, but if we didn't have emotions then who is to say we'd even form a society. You even said yourself that you are arrogant in your logical thinking which stems to emotional pride, which is the number one most useless emotion of humanity.

Yea, i believe in balance. Balance is key to living in harmony. Eating a balanced diet, balancing your body when you exercise, balancing everything in your life. I think we cannot function as a society without emotions. I mean think about it: if people didn't have fear, imagine all the murders that would happen, the suicides, the accidents, etc. Imagine a world without happiness, you'd have sadness and negativity. I mean, what drives us as human beings? Emotions? Logic? Or both?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:29:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:54:17 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:53:03 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:52:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

Spock.

lol my thoughts exactly

"lol" ? vulcans don't laugh.

http://www.bigfishink.com...

Your argument is invalid.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:45:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?

How exactly do you do which part?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:48:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?

How exactly do you do which part?

overcome not having emotions?
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 11:03:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?

How exactly do you do which part?
I can do it willingly. You'd be surprised how productive you become when you don't care about people's lives or feelings.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 11:16:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 11:03:21 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?

How exactly do you do which part?
I can do it willingly. You'd be surprised how productive you become when you don't care about people's lives or feelings.

I actually thought about that. What are the pros of caring only for yourself? What would happen?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 12:27:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Truth seeker: My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us?

The Fool: I'm exactly sure myself, but I can tell you what a very wise woman once told me. She said that they "are necessary to meaning and purpose, and that without emotions we would not care about one thing or another." Thus, they are essential for the ability and/or even the concern for logic at all.

Emotions, allow for quick instinctive actions and decisions at a low energy processing. Unfortunately, it's at the cost of precision, accuracy, and balanced reasoning, since well, the higher the volume, the more errors, mistakes and degree of bias. For we are generally in favor of that which we love, and against that which we hate.

Truth seeker: What would happen if we had no emotions?

The Fool: Perhaps, no motivation, no cares, no worries, but also no joys.

Truth seeker:Thoughts?

The Fool: I don't think it's possible to reason without emotions, and that we are rather relatively more or less emotional, but never absolutely absent of. Or at least that's what I understood, when she said "reach in your heart and you will find your mind!"

Truth seeker: Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion.

The Fool: I believe arrogance is an attitude, and so isemotive in nature as expression "cold-calculating". To be honest, it sounds like something a highly emotional person would say. I'm not saying this is you, but it very might well be.

Against The Ideologist

Who knows these things anyway...
<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 7:38:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:48:38 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?

How exactly do you do which part?

overcome not having emotions?

It is about understanding the emotions in others. While having those emotions is a great way to understand them (like, having LSD is a great way to understand how it effects the mind), there are plenty of people that openly share their emotions to allow you to research and figure out how they work, what triggers them, what they do to people, etc (just like there is enough research on LSD to understand how it works without having to take it first hand).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 10:12:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 10:48:38 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?

How exactly do you do which part?

overcome not having emotions?

Most psychopaths actually hide themselves among us, faking emotions after learning how. It's a rare occurrence (not too rare) for psychopaths to take the risk and just act as they would without laws and such. It is pretty interesting to look at the list of top jobs psychopathic people tend to choose.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 10:14:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 7:38:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:48:38 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:44:50 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:42:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:38:01 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:34:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

It varies from emotion to emotion, but they all have their uses, most tied back to before technology and before we managed to dominate the food chain, back when we were still the prey. Logic, on the other hand, is incomplete by itself. It requires a goal and attempts to reach that goal (or conclusion). From a philosophical point, the goal is "truth," though applied logic gets more complicated.

Doesn't it still work the same way today? With all the logical possibilities (sudden death, economic crisis, global warming, etc.) Don't our emotions still help us thrive as a species?

It is "ignorance is bliss" that helps us survive most of those (or it is about taking safety precautions that are in line with the degree and likelihood of risk, depending on the person). Emotions were far more important back then, since not being part of the community meant being eaten by a mountain lion (or whatever their ancestors were) in the next few days. They were, of course, much smaller communities than now. But yes, emotions are still key (or at least, understanding emotions and convincing others that you have them) to succeeding in this world.

Of course, you can over come not having them. Just like a someone can overcome almost any handicap, but they greatly help (so long as you don't lose control).

And how exactly can you do that?

How exactly do you do which part?

overcome not having emotions?

It is about understanding the emotions in others. While having those emotions is a great way to understand them (like, having LSD is a great way to understand how it effects the mind), there are plenty of people that openly share their emotions to allow you to research and figure out how they work, what triggers them, what they do to people, etc (just like there is enough research on LSD to understand how it works without having to take it first hand).

How can we if we have no emotions? I mean, if we were purely logical, we would only see a smile as just a smile, not evoking any happiness. Without emotions, how would we recognize them and thus be logical?
Dazz
Posts: 1,163
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 11:31:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

"If you can define emotions, you can control them too because you know about them,they are under the effect of your conscientiousness"
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 11:45:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 11:31:31 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

"If you can define emotions, you can control them too because you know about them,they are under the effect of your conscientiousness"

Very true, but how can I control them?
Dazz
Posts: 1,163
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 12:48:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 11:45:31 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/14/2014 11:31:31 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

"If you can define emotions, you can control them too because you know about them,they are under the effect of your conscientiousness"

Very true, but how can I control them?

By finding out what you're finding, that's you must define Emotions for yourself, firstly. Once you're able to distinguish your feelings, you can carry a weight for each of them. You see, being like a cold-calculator or arrogant or logical thinker is either a result of an emotion or is leading toward any state of mind, how that can happen emotionless. Specifically controlling anger or sadness is dependent upon your habit of recognizing the reasons/consequences and practicing over it regularly.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 9:49:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 12:48:43 PM, Dazz wrote:
At 8/14/2014 11:45:31 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/14/2014 11:31:31 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

"If you can define emotions, you can control them too because you know about them,they are under the effect of your conscientiousness"

Very true, but how can I control them?

By finding out what you're finding, that's you must define Emotions for yourself, firstly. Once you're able to distinguish your feelings, you can carry a weight for each of them. You see, being like a cold-calculator or arrogant or logical thinker is either a result of an emotion or is leading toward any state of mind, how that can happen emotionless. Specifically controlling anger or sadness is dependent upon your habit of recognizing the reasons/consequences and practicing over it regularly.

yea it's just a thought, but i agree with you. Emotions should be controlled at all times.
Dazz
Posts: 1,163
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 11:36:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/24/2014 9:49:58 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/14/2014 12:48:43 PM, Dazz wrote:
At 8/14/2014 11:45:31 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/14/2014 11:31:31 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 8/13/2014 9:49:44 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
My brother was actually talking about this with me. We tried to logically find the purpose in emotions. Philosophically speaking what do emotions do for us? I wonder. On one side, i find purpose in them to help us better survive as humans. On the other side, they cause me distress, pain, etc. When we are emotionally charged, we are driven by them and cease to be logical. Sometimes, i can be a cold-calculating, arrogant, and completely logical thinker void of any emotion. What would happen if we had no emotions? Thoughts?

"If you can define emotions, you can control them too because you know about them,they are under the effect of your conscientiousness"

Very true, but how can I control them?

By finding out what you're finding, that's you must define Emotions for yourself, firstly. Once you're able to distinguish your feelings, you can carry a weight for each of them. You see, being like a cold-calculator or arrogant or logical thinker is either a result of an emotion or is leading toward any state of mind, how that can happen emotionless. Specifically controlling anger or sadness is dependent upon your habit of recognizing the reasons/consequences and practicing over it regularly.

yea it's just a thought, but i agree with you. Emotions should be controlled at all times.

Precisely, it's not better to be an emotionless thinker, as it would be oblivious to ostracize emotions as they really works and prolific to real world.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~