Jump to topic:

Materialism... and an infinite regress?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 7:36:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To begin with, I'd like to argue that sensation of X is not identical to X. Likewise, thought of X is not identical to X. My thought of the pyramids is not identical to the pyramids. This is perhaps even more obvious. Than the sensation aspect.

I think materialists would agree with the above. But they argue that while this IS the case, our thought of the pyramids is identical to certain neurons, which are physical.

So let's assume that our thoughts are identical to certain neuron firings in our brain.

This brings me to my question... What about my thought of the neuron pattern that makes this thought? Does this mean that when I think of the neuron pattern that happens in my head when I think this thought, that this thought is identical to those neurons? But this seems to lead to an infinite regress.

Let me try to elaborate.

Right now I am thinking of the neuron pattern that produces this thought. What thought is this? The thought that I am thinking of the neuron pattern that produces this thought.

In other words, it seems that if materialism is true, and thoughts = neurons, then it's impossible for me to even think about the neurons that are going through my head when I think this thought.

Or maybe I'm completely off my rocker.

But anyways, how does materialism explain thoughts about neurons? These thoughts are identical to neurons, correct? What happens if we think about those neurons?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 8:15:29 PM
Never mind this, it doesn't make any sense. I'm just exhausted and not thinking clearly. Sorry, guys.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:15:59 PM
At 8/15/2014 8:15:29 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Never mind this, it doesn't make any sense. I'm just exhausted and not thinking clearly. Sorry, guys.

I thought you may be on to something... What doesn't make sense?
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:44:57 PM

Lol at least it's clever thinking :D
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:56:16 PM
At 8/15/2014 9:15:59 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It seems more like a play on words of... "Thought of this thought. What is this thought? It's the thought of this thought." And that doesn't seem to be the problem with materialism exactly.

But I am curious as to what materialists think thoughts of neurons are.... I mean, are these other neurons? So other neurons are identical to others?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 10:01:20 PM
At 8/15/2014 9:56:16 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 8/15/2014 9:15:59 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It seems more like a play on words of... "Thought of this thought. What is this thought? It's the thought of this thought." And that doesn't seem to be the problem with materialism exactly.

But I am curious as to what materialists think thoughts of neurons are.... I mean, are these other neurons? So other neurons are identical to others?

Materialist: "Yo, dog, I just had a neurons about neurons" LMAO
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 9:46:35 AM
At 8/15/2014 7:36:21 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Right now I am thinking of the neuron pattern that produces this thought. What thought is this? The thought that I am thinking of the neuron pattern that produces this thought.

In other words, it seems that if materialism is true, and thoughts = neurons, then it's impossible for me to even think about the neurons that are going through my head when I think this thought.

Or maybe I'm completely off my rocker.

But anyways, how does materialism explain thoughts about neurons? These thoughts are identical to neurons, correct? What happens if we think about those neurons?

The neuron itself, or any part of the world in actuality, before I apply my faculty to it, is 'infinite' (meaning, it is nothing), and gains meaning, through becoming limited, when we apply our faculty to it and hence limiting it in its representation. When I think about the neurons in my brain, I do not gain a complete (infinite) picture of their workings, but limit the representation I produce of them to a finite series of images or ideas. These do not include every detail of what they are processing, hence it does not lead to the kind of 'loop' you're talking about.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 10:01:47 AM

Yeah, I'm taking philosophy for my senior year, hoping that I can start to understand you and we can talk about stuff....