Jump to topic:

Question to any Atheist Philosophers

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 10:18:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you had a child and your discovered upon religion? What would you do?

I may not be an atheist, but if my son or daughter turned to Hinduism or Islam, I would ask why? I don't want somebody to say they are committed to something if they have no clue what it is they are following. I would even ask questions to see if my son or daughter can still obtain a form of logic and reason to not take things as literal in whatever religion they are a part of. Religion saved my life when I was going through a rough time in high school. Peer pressure and bullies were driving me to the point where I was into ICP and before I heard them, was writing a song about murdering smokers, drug heads and drinkers on a boat. I used to think in a philosophical, but sick, way, that if somebody committed one act in the past that was immoral or hurtful, then that person shouldn't be forgiven. I enforced this on myself and told people not to forgive me. When they did, I called them idiots and forced them away. I found Christianity around easter a year and a half ago. I began to learn more about it and eventually became a pacifist, anarchist, punk, free will enthusiast, LGBT rights supporter, and science nerd. However, I don't think Christianity is the only view that offers an enlightment. I just haven't seen other people obtain their testimonies yet I guess.
PinValentine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:02:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Isn't it obvious? Any rational person would talk to their child. By the time they discover some religion or other, it is assumed they would be an adult. If you raise them correctly, as if there is a correct, then they should have logical and rational thinking minds themselves. You speak with them. Find their reasoning. Assuming they have logical thinking minds developed to question every thing, and they still find religion, then they have a logical reason. In which case let them be. If they do not have a logical reason, disagree with them, and still let them be. They are adults, or teenagers, and frankly their religion is none of your business child or not.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts