Jump to topic:

Question to any Atheist Philosophers?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 10:18:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you had a child and your discovered upon religion? What would you do?

I may not be an atheist, but if my son or daughter turned to Hinduism or Islam, I would ask why? I don't want somebody to say they are committed to something if they have no clue what it is they are following. I would even ask questions to see if my son or daughter can still obtain a form of logic and reason to not take things as literal in whatever religion they are a part of. Religion saved my life when I was going through a rough time in high school. Peer pressure and bullies were driving me to the point where I was into ICP and before I heard them, was writing a song about murdering smokers, drug heads and drinkers on a boat. I used to think in a philosophical, but sick, way, that if somebody committed one act in the past that was immoral or hurtful, then that person shouldn't be forgiven. I enforced this on myself and told people not to forgive me. When they did, I called them idiots and forced them away. I found Christianity around easter a year and a half ago. I began to learn more about it and eventually became a pacifist, anarchist, punk, free will enthusiast, LGBT rights supporter, and science nerd. However, I don't think Christianity is the only view that offers an enlightment. I just haven't seen other people obtain their testimonies yet I guess.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:44:16 AM
At 8/16/2014 10:18:45 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

I may not be an atheist, but if my son or daughter turned to Hinduism or Islam, I would ask why? I don't want somebody to say they are committed to something if they have no clue what it is they are following. I would even ask questions to see if my son or daughter can still obtain a form of logic and reason to not take things as literal in whatever religion they are a part of. Religion saved my life when I was going through a rough time in high school. Peer pressure and bullies were driving me to the point where I was into ICP and before I heard them, was writing a song about murdering smokers, drug heads and drinkers on a boat. I used to think in a philosophical, but sick, way, that if somebody committed one act in the past that was immoral or hurtful, then that person shouldn't be forgiven. I enforced this on myself and told people not to forgive me. When they did, I called them idiots and forced them away. I found Christianity around easter a year and a half ago. I began to learn more about it and eventually became a pacifist, anarchist, punk, free will enthusiast, LGBT rights supporter, and science nerd. However, I don't think Christianity is the only view that offers an enlightment. I just haven't seen other people obtain their testimonies yet I guess.

"pacifist, anarchist, punk, free will enthusiast, LGBT rights supporter," You appear to be a walking contradiction.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:46:17 AM
At 8/17/2014 9:44:16 AM, sadolite wrote:

"pacifist, anarchist, punk, free will enthusiast, LGBT rights supporter," You appear to be a walking contradiction.

Why is that?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:10:49 AM
At 8/17/2014 10:46:17 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:22:12 AM
At 8/17/2014 11:10:49 AM, sadolite wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

Yeah, if your assuming Christianity doesn't allow these, then why are there people who can get that message from the Christian texts and philosophy?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:55:13 AM
At 8/17/2014 11:22:12 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

Yeah, if your assuming Christianity doesn't allow these, then why are there people who can get that message from the Christian texts and philosophy?

Christianity makes suggestions on how to lead a good life and to receive gods forgiveness. You are free to be as depraved or god fearing as you want. But rationalizing things that go against the word of god will work with man but it wont work with god.

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 12:50:12 PM
At 8/17/2014 11:55:13 AM, sadolite wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

Christianity makes suggestions on how to lead a good life and to receive gods forgiveness. You are free to be as depraved or god fearing as you want. But rationalizing things that go against the word of god will work with man but it wont work with god.

What goes against the word of God? I hear people saying that vegetarians and vegans are waging a war with God, but the bible claims that originally, people were vegetarians.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 7:38:46 PM
At 8/17/2014 12:50:12 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

What goes against the word of God? I hear people saying that vegetarians and vegans are waging a war with God, but the bible claims that originally, people were vegetarians.

Well lawless anarchy and homosexuality to name two if I must

Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:14:00 PM
At 8/17/2014 7:38:46 PM, sadolite wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

Off f*cking topic a$$hole.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:16:19 PM

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

Haven't found a single verse that forbids homosexuality. Just verses people twist and abuse to make it their modern day view, but fail to understand the culture and meaning behind the words.

Anarchy isn't lawless itself. It's disobedience from the earthly government that forces you to do things. Christ has offered a philosophy of free will which I chose on my own at the age of 18. The bible may have verses that says "respect" government, but there is a verse where Jesus says you can't obey two masters. Plus, anybody we look up to, is our master because they inspire a whole lot in us that make us who we are.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 4:22:35 PM
At 8/17/2014 10:16:19 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

Haven't found a single verse that forbids homosexuality. Just verses people twist and abuse to make it their modern day view, but fail to understand the culture and meaning behind the words.

Anarchy isn't lawless itself. It's disobedience from the earthly government that forces you to do things. Christ has offered a philosophy of free will which I chose on my own at the age of 18. The bible may have verses that says "respect" government, but there is a verse where Jesus says you can't obey two masters. Plus, anybody we look up to, is our master because they inspire a whole lot in us that make us who we are.

You can make your arguments to God. You need not attempt to rationalize to me, for I am not the one you will answer to. Like I said, you have free will to be as good fearing or depraved as you want.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 4:25:37 PM
At 8/17/2014 10:14:00 PM, Jedi4 wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

I was asked a question and I answered it. It is you who doesn't know what the topic is at the current moment in this thread. Buy a clue.

Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 11:38:48 AM
At 8/18/2014 4:25:37 PM, sadolite wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

I was asked a question and I answered it. It is you who doesn't know what the topic is at the current moment in this thread. Buy a clue.

You didnt ask sh1t. You throw out accusations derailing the topic.
The_Immortal_Emris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 11:58:37 AM

Accept my child's informed decision, which they came to not because of cultural indoctrination, but an intrinsic examination of what they desire spiritually.

I may not be an atheist, but if my son or daughter turned to Hinduism or Islam, I would ask why? I don't want somebody to say they are committed to something if they have no clue what it is they are following.

I would hope if you raised your child in a specific belief, and they later turned to a new belief, it would be due to an examination of the tenants of that faith. Any religious belief based on blind faith and ignorance, isn't a belief at all, but a methodology of control.

I would even ask questions to see if my son or daughter can still obtain a form of logic and reason to not take things as literal in whatever religion they are a part of.

And that is your duty as a good parent. But what if their religion is your own religion, and they still lack the logical and critical thinking skills to examine the world objectively? Do you break their faith, even if you share it, to prevent them from being blinded by zeal? Just curious.

Religion saved my life when I was going through a rough time in high school. Peer pressure and bullies were driving me to the point where I was into ICP and before I heard them, was writing a song about murdering smokers, drug heads and drinkers on a boat.

Damn, son. That's hardcore. I'm sorry folks picked on you, you certainly didn't deserve that. Don't judge all the smokers based on your high-school experience. Most kids in high school are ignorant. They haven't seen enough of the world to be otherwise. I know I was very ignorant in high school.

I used to think in a philosophical, but sick, way, that if somebody committed one act in the past that was immoral or hurtful, then that person shouldn't be forgiven. I enforced this on myself and told people not to forgive me.

That sounds like Calvinism, and that sucks. I'm glad you found a religion that allowed you to forgive yourself and others. We should all be forgiving in life, as we only have one.

When they did, I called them idiots and forced them away. I found Christianity around easter a year and a half ago. I began to learn more about it and eventually became a pacifist, anarchist, punk, free will enthusiast, LGBT rights supporter, and science nerd.

You're literally the best kind of Christian. Probably one of the few "true" followers of The Way. Props to you, friend.

However, I don't think Christianity is the only view that offers an enlightment. I just haven't seen other people obtain their testimonies yet I guess.

It's not. Sadly it often leads to a dark and twisted place which is actually a perversion of the belief. I feel the perverted form of Christianity is so much more represented on the web (and in the media) than the true followers are.

I'm glad to see you're here sharing your stances and beliefs.

As for me, I am not so much of an atheist as I am a neo-pagan deist.

My "gods" are not personified deities, and I do not pray to them. I simply believe I am a small sack of meat on a small pebble floating in a cosmic soup of radiation, wavelengths, matter and energy so vast, that it would be arrogant to assume we are the supreme beings.

There are powers greater and more terrible than we can fathom in this universe, but I am no so arrogant as to claim I know and understand them. I find a sense of humility in my surrender to the mysteries of the universe, and through that humility I find purpose in aiding in alleviating the suffering of my fellow man.

My enlightenment came from a desire to leave only a positive impact on the lives of those I come into contact with.

I can't always live up to that standard, just as you cannot live without "sin", but I forgive myself my imperfections and carry on doing what brings me joy. Bringing joy to others.

Enlightenment isn't something we achieve and pin to our chest like a medal. It's a path we walk everyday. One can stray from that path, and can lose sight of it through the miasma of day to day life. It's a struggle and a battle to remain objective, think critically and examine the world from a perspective of empathy.
The_Immortal_Emris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 12:01:23 PM

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

I believe I know several verses which say thou shall not judge.

So, I suppose you have the free will to be depraved as well, seeing as you refuse to adhere to your own religious teachings. Hypocrisy in it's purest form.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 8:41:58 PM
At 8/21/2014 12:01:23 PM, The_Immortal_Emris wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

So, I suppose you have the free will to be depraved as well, seeing as you refuse to adhere to your own religious teachings. Hypocrisy in it's purest form.

It is a given that I am not perfect, god knows that. The difference between you and me is repentance. You challenge god and the word of god.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 8:43:36 PM
At 8/21/2014 11:38:48 AM, Jedi4 wrote:
At 8/18/2014 4:25:37 PM, sadolite wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

You didnt ask sh1t. You throw out accusations derailing the topic.

Again you don't have a clue, I answered a question, I didn't ask one.

The_Immortal_Emris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 9:35:50 AM
At 8/21/2014 8:41:58 PM, sadolite wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

It is a given that I am not perfect, god knows that. The difference between you and me is repentance. You challenge god and the word of god.

You failed to capitalize His name. You're going to burn in hell forever now. Congratulations sinner. This is why America has gone to the dogs. Woe is us, woe is us.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 4:16:25 PM
At 8/22/2014 9:35:50 AM, The_Immortal_Emris wrote:
At 8/21/2014 8:41:58 PM, sadolite wrote:

Why is that?

I'll let you ponder it.

You failed to capitalize His name. You're going to burn in hell forever now. Congratulations sinner. This is why America has gone to the dogs. Woe is us, woe is us.

Did you even read my last post or do you just make up what you want it to say because you can make no coherent argument.

Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 6:05:15 PM
I don't think my children would be religious. I would make it clear that they don't need religion to be happy, moral, or wise. If they still want to be religious then so be it, but I find it unlikely.
PinValentine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:04:13 AM
Isn't it obvious? Any rational person would talk to their child. By the time they discover some religion or other, it is assumed they would be an adult. If you raise them correctly, as if there is a correct, then they should have logical and rational thinking minds themselves. You speak with them. Find their reasoning. Assuming they have logical thinking minds developed to question every thing, and they still find religion, then they have a logical reason. In which case let them be. If they do not have a logical reason, disagree with them, and still let them be. They are adults, or teenagers, and frankly their religion is none of your business child or not. Sorry I posted in the older version of this topic originally.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 12:20:27 PM

Man if you're not going to justify your opinions then what you're communicating is not an argument but you're just projecting a personal issue you have. You're not trying to actually address the argument you just want people to see the fact that you have an emotional issue with something that was brought up.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 1:02:33 PM
At 8/21/2014 11:58:37 AM, The_Immortal_Emris wrote:

Accept my child's informed decision, which they came to not because of cultural indoctrination, but an intrinsic examination of what they desire spiritually.

I may not be an atheist, but if my son or daughter turned to Hinduism or Islam, I would ask why? I don't want somebody to say they are committed to something if they have no clue what it is they are following.

I would hope if you raised your child in a specific belief, and they later turned to a new belief, it would be due to an examination of the tenants of that faith. Any religious belief based on blind faith and ignorance, isn't a belief at all, but a methodology of control.

I would even ask questions to see if my son or daughter can still obtain a form of logic and reason to not take things as literal in whatever religion they are a part of.

And that is your duty as a good parent. But what if their religion is your own religion, and they still lack the logical and critical thinking skills to examine the world objectively? Do you break their faith, even if you share it, to prevent them from being blinded by zeal? Just curious.

Religion saved my life when I was going through a rough time in high school. Peer pressure and bullies were driving me to the point where I was into ICP and before I heard them, was writing a song about murdering smokers, drug heads and drinkers on a boat.

Damn, son. That's hardcore. I'm sorry folks picked on you, you certainly didn't deserve that. Don't judge all the smokers based on your high-school experience. Most kids in high school are ignorant. They haven't seen enough of the world to be otherwise. I know I was very ignorant in high school.

I used to think in a philosophical, but sick, way, that if somebody committed one act in the past that was immoral or hurtful, then that person shouldn't be forgiven. I enforced this on myself and told people not to forgive me.

That sounds like Calvinism, and that sucks. I'm glad you found a religion that allowed you to forgive yourself and others. We should all be forgiving in life, as we only have one.

When they did, I called them idiots and forced them away. I found Christianity around easter a year and a half ago. I began to learn more about it and eventually became a pacifist, anarchist, punk, free will enthusiast, LGBT rights supporter, and science nerd.

You're literally the best kind of Christian. Probably one of the few "true" followers of The Way. Props to you, friend.

However, I don't think Christianity is the only view that offers an enlightment. I just haven't seen other people obtain their testimonies yet I guess.

It's not. Sadly it often leads to a dark and twisted place which is actually a perversion of the belief. I feel the perverted form of Christianity is so much more represented on the web (and in the media) than the true followers are.

I'm glad to see you're here sharing your stances and beliefs.

As for me, I am not so much of an atheist as I am a neo-pagan deist.

My "gods" are not personified deities, and I do not pray to them. I simply believe I am a small sack of meat on a small pebble floating in a cosmic soup of radiation, wavelengths, matter and energy so vast, that it would be arrogant to assume we are the supreme beings.

There are powers greater and more terrible than we can fathom in this universe, but I am no so arrogant as to claim I know and understand them. I find a sense of humility in my surrender to the mysteries of the universe, and through that humility I find purpose in aiding in alleviating the suffering of my fellow man.

My enlightenment came from a desire to leave only a positive impact on the lives of those I come into contact with.

I can't always live up to that standard, just as you cannot live without "sin", but I forgive myself my imperfections and carry on doing what brings me joy. Bringing joy to others.

Enlightenment isn't something we achieve and pin to our chest like a medal. It's a path we walk everyday. One can stray from that path, and can lose sight of it through the miasma of day to day life. It's a struggle and a battle to remain objective, think critically and examine the world from a perspective of empathy.

Wow, well said T_I_E
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 3:53:14 PM
At 8/26/2014 12:20:27 PM, sdavio wrote:

Man if you're not going to justify your opinions then what you're communicating is not an argument but you're just projecting a personal issue you have. You're not trying to actually address the argument you just want people to see the fact that you have an emotional issue with something that was brought up.

So you think none of the things I listed are contradictory to the word of god. How I feel about anything is irrelevant. I am simply pointing out the blatantly obvious to the intellectually honest.