Jump to topic:

Personality and Consciouness

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 1:48:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This question is particularly for Dualists, but anyone is free to answer.

Does personality exist as a part of one's consciousness (or for Christians, the word soul could even be used), or is personality dependent on one's brain?
Nolite Timere
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 9:09:32 PM
At 8/17/2014 1:48:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Does personality exist as a part of one's consciousness (or for Christians, the word soul could even be used), or is personality dependent on one's brain?

Well, personality is dependent on an brain extent (taking drugs and altering your brain can effect your personality) but not more than the brain is dependent on personality (If I am a hyper person then I will move more often and cause more brain activity with my conscious volition). However, I believe the brain to just be an aspect of mental experience at the end of the day anyway, not something that exists in a mind-independent reality.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 9:19:32 PM
At 8/18/2014 9:09:32 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 8/17/2014 1:48:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Well, personality is dependent on an brain extent (taking drugs and altering your brain can effect your personality) but not more than the brain is dependent on personality (If I am a hyper person then I will move more often and cause more brain activity with my conscious volition). However, I believe the brain to just be an aspect of mental experience at the end of the day anyway, not something that exists in a mind-independent reality.

Thanks for your input, that was a good response :)
Nolite Timere
black_88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:51:35 AM
I'm not a dualist, and I think that whatever you may call "personality" can only be interpreted as an aspect of brain activity and/or brain state.

As for this opinion:

However, I believe the brain to just be an aspect of mental experience at the end of the day anyway, not something that exists in a mind-independent reality.

Could you please elaborate on that? I think the brain is simply a material object that, if we believed material objects to have objective reality, does exist independent of our thoughts.

Take Albert Einstein's brain for example. The man is dead but his brain still exists as a form of matter.
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe