Jump to topic:

Guide for studying Philosophy

Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 5:38:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I need help from Philosophy Degree Holders (for they've experience of grabbing the material content during their studies). As a beginner, if someone want to cover these topics (listed below), how much time and study material do you think it would require to get command on it, if one goes with the speed to give 2 hour per day? [or suggest the best way to go through content, by preparation perspective]
(Specifically how much books do I need and which one?)

1."Formal and informal arguments: Elements of deductive reasoning; validity and truth: Proposition and syllogism.
2."Definition with special reference to Aristotle, Criticism of Aristotle; Relativity of definition: Ambiguity; vagueness and emotive use of language as impediments in clear thinking: Fallacies " formal, material and linguistic
3."Symbolic Logic: value of special symbols, symbols for conjunction, Negation, Disjunction and Implication, Method of Deduction: Formal proofs of validity, Rules of Replacement.
4."The nature of scientific theory: Scientific method; Inquiry at common sense level and scientific level; Scientific explanation; The grounds of belief: induction, probability and functional analysis.

Thanks in advance.
Nice day.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 1:20:31 PM
Will anyone help me out?
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 2:18:18 PM
Oh I badly need an answer.........
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 5:34:42 AM
At 8/20/2014 5:38:25 PM, Dazz wrote:
I need help from Philosophy Degree Holders (for they've experience of grabbing the material content during their studies). As a beginner, if someone want to cover these topics (listed below), how much time and study material do you think it would require to get command on it, if one goes with the speed to give 2 hour per day? [or suggest the best way to go through content, by preparation perspective]
(Specifically how much books do I need and which one?)

1."Formal and informal arguments: Elements of deductive reasoning; validity and truth: Proposition and syllogism.
Get a good Logic textbook. If you want to learn Logic in general, including Modal, Quantificational, and Fuzzy Logic (basically a base throughout) then there is no better text than Introduction to Logic by Harry J. Gensler. The first two chapters focus on Syllogistic Logic. If you want in depth analysis of Syllogistic Logic, and very basic knowledge of Propositional Logic then go with Intro. to Logic by Irving Copi. Gensler's book is available in pdf over the internet though. It will be harder to find the modified Copi.

If you give two hours a day, learning syllogistic logic (basic command) should take up to a week or so. Do all the exercises and use LogiCola software which you can download.

Gensler contains a lot about Truth, Statements, Inference et cetera, and if you go through his book you can easily move on to Quine and Boole.

2."Definition with special reference to Aristotle, Criticism of Aristotle; Relativity of definition: Ambiguity; vagueness and emotive use of language as impediments in clear thinking: Fallacies " formal, material and linguistic

Gensler's book contains a lot about fallacies, though Copi beats him here. Copi teaches each and every fallacy made.

As for criticisms of aristotle, just read German Philosophy and you will see how the thought has evolved. As in Hume criticizes Aristotle's Five Causes, and Kant his materialism. However I doubt there is a systematic critique (worth reading) of any of Aristotle's works. Read Aristotle first: his philosophy can be understood by reading his Physics, Metaphysics, and The Politics, his works on Art include Poetics, and Art of Rhetoric.

3."Symbolic Logic: value of special symbols, symbols for conjunction, Negation, Disjunction and Implication, Method of Deduction: Formal proofs of validity, Rules of Replacement.

See my answer to number 1.

4."The nature of scientific theory: Scientific method; Inquiry at common sense level and scientific level; Scientific explanation; The grounds of belief: induction, probability and functional analysis.

This should be found in number one, however for more go through Karl Popper. The Logic of Scientific Discovery is not bad.

Thanks in advance.
Nice day.

My account was closed, and I plan to leave it so. I wrote this out of pity since no one else was answering. :P You can message me at abu lajab @ o utlook . co m (without the spaces) if you have any questions. Not a degree holder but I am good in Philosophy.

I would suggest not reading Russell, read the Story of Philosophy by Will Durant if you want a history of pure philosophy. Russell is good in Logic though. Well then. :P

Bye ddo.