Jump to topic:

That Which Isn't Is

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 10:38:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
People speak of existence as though it alone exists. However, nonexistence must exist, also. If existence existed alone, and at no time could it be said, "This is not existence.", how could we know that which existence is, if we don't know that which it's not?

So, one may say it is a contradiction to say that which is not existence exists, or that which isn't is; to which I must agree. Yet, existence must be defined by contradiction, opposition, or duality, just as it's defined by agreement, and oneness. Meaning is defined not only by that which it is but, also, by that which it's not. For, how could we know that which something is, if we don't know that which it's not?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 9:28:16 AM
I think therefore I exist. Since I can't think when i don't exist, you are right I can't know that in the same context, but the inability to think by being in non-existence has no bearing on my ability to think and know my existence while I exist.

exist on that for a while.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 6:47:31 PM
At 8/22/2014 9:28:16 AM, slo1 wrote:
I think therefore I exist. Since I can't think when i don't exist, you are right I can't know that in the same context, but the inability to think by being in non-existence has no bearing on my ability to think and know my existence while I exist.

exist on that for a while.

We think, and we are ignorant; therefore we exist. If we were only aware, we would not exist; if we were only unaware, we would not exist either. Existence is found in being and not being.