Jump to topic:

"meant to be"

discomfiting
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 12:22:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I saw talking with a co-worker the other day about "meant to be" and I stumbled into a question. Disregard your opinion of homosexuality and religion, this is not what the topic is, just a pre-story. There was a woman that came into the store and she began to talk about her dislike for homosexuals because homosexuality wasn't meant to be-- since women and men had opposing sex organs in order to reproduce. I began to think after discussing it with my co-worker, if something is not meant to be, how could something come to be if the world and our fate are controlled by a deity? Wouldn't that mean that either a.) nothing is meant to be and a deity isn't controlling fate or b.) it was meant to be and a deity allowed it.

Opinions? Thoughts? Alternative solutions?
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 10:10:28 PM
At 8/23/2014 12:22:19 PM, discomfiting wrote:
I saw talking with a co-worker the other day about "meant to be" and I stumbled into a question. Disregard your opinion of homosexuality and religion, this is not what the topic is, just a pre-story. There was a woman that came into the store and she began to talk about her dislike for homosexuals because homosexuality wasn't meant to be-- since women and men had opposing sex organs in order to reproduce. I began to think after discussing it with my co-worker, if something is not meant to be, how could something come to be if the world and our fate are controlled by a deity? Wouldn't that mean that either a.) nothing is meant to be and a deity isn't controlling fate or b.) it was meant to be and a deity allowed it.

Interesting post!

If something is meant to be, or is allowed, I'd argue it probably has little bearing on its acceptability. For instance, a character in a novel murders another character. That's what's meant to be, according to the author, but it doesn't indicate anything about the nature of murder itself. Or even how the author feels about murder.

So I don't think the question here is how something not meant to be can come to be (where the existence of deities are concerned), but rather if something's existence can reflect its nature. Or perhaps why a deity would allow something against its wishes. Is that right? Or did I misread this post? XD

For the record, I'm not against homosexuality in any way and I wasn't comparing homosexuality to murder ^_^'
Skikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 12:00:09 PM

1) If nothing is meant to be, then everything simply is.

2) If everything that is meant to be is, then everything that is, is meant to be to be, for nothing could happen if it was meant to not to be.

3) If not everything that is, is meant to be, then what is meant to be is not everything that is.
If not everything that is, is meant to be, then what is is not meant to be.
If what is is not meant to be, then what is meant to be has less authority than what is.
If what is meant to be has less authority then what is, then what is is what is meant to be.

Ergo, everything either just is, or everything is as it is meant to be. But nothing is as it is not meant to be.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 1:31:47 AM

I think first we must ask, "What is the meaning of 'meant to be'?". In looking at the two words, we see the first has as its base "to mean". What is meaning...? Meaning, as I see it, is something that has been objectified; it is set off by definition, and contrast. As in saying it is this but it is not that; it has a determinant value. Secondly, we must ask, "What is being?". Being is something that is; if we are able to mention it, then, it is. What are things we can mention...? We can mention those things that have definition, contrast, and meaning. We can say it is this but it is not that. So, meaning and being are equivalent. For, in defining something, we are merely saying that which it is.

In saying that, I must say this: that which is, is meant to be; and, that which isn't is meant to be, also.