Jump to topic:

"That's so gay" is inherently offensive

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 2:25:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
When someone says, in reaction to an action/statement/event, "that's so gay," will that always be considered insulting (towards homosexuals, as labeling whatever it is we call gay as a homosexual trait)?

When we say that something's gay, are we always insinuating that it is characteristic of homosexuality? Or can we wholly separate the denotation of the word from its connotation? I mean that calling something gay could just signify a distaste and not necessarily linking that distaste with homosexuality (meaning that homosexuality is bad).

For example, if you were to state that something was "gay," ("that was so gay!") simply to mean that something was lame, or ridiculous, or annoying, are we insinuating that Gays (homosexuals) are lame, or ridiculous, or annoying? If we meant only to say that something was lame, or ridiculous, or annoying, should we simply use terms like "stupid," or "dumb," and not actually use the term "gay?"

Then again, we can simply use the term "gay" to describe something as such, without the intention of using the word to criticize. If one might think that another has a homosexual hairstyle, then stating that "his hairstyle is gay," is an observation, not a critique.

Another example that would target another demographic: "that's retarded."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 4:39:16 PM
At 8/30/2014 2:25:31 PM, ben2974 wrote:
When someone says, in reaction to an action/statement/event, "that's so gay," will that always be considered insulting (towards homosexuals, as labeling whatever it is we call gay as a homosexual trait)?

When we say that something's gay, are we always insinuating that it is characteristic of homosexuality? Or can we wholly separate the denotation of the word from its connotation? I mean that calling something gay could just signify a distaste and not necessarily linking that distaste with homosexuality (meaning that homosexuality is bad).

For example, if you were to state that something was "gay," ("that was so gay!") simply to mean that something was lame, or ridiculous, or annoying, are we insinuating that Gays (homosexuals) are lame, or ridiculous, or annoying? If we meant only to say that something was lame, or ridiculous, or annoying, should we simply use terms like "stupid," or "dumb," and not actually use the term "gay?"

Then again, we can simply use the term "gay" to describe something as such, without the intention of using the word to criticize. If one might think that another has a homosexual hairstyle, then stating that "his hairstyle is gay," is an observation, not a critique.

Political correctness, what could be more offensive to the mind
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 1:46:20 AM
Things are only offensive if a negative connotation is applied to them. Having said that, "gay," does have a negative connotation in society because society is full of bigots. As long as homosexuality isn't socially acceptable, saying "that's so gay!" is inherently offensive.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:00:51 AM

The answer to your question requires the scrutinization of a few premises. The first premise being who will find the term "gay" offensive? A homosexual man? Yes, but perhaps a heterosexual individual will not. Considering the premise above, what or whom is the term being described to? If the word is employed in context as an adjective towards a noun, specifically an item, such as a broom or a concept, such as math, then deriving a negative or patronizing connotation from the word may not be as profound as if the word was used to as an adjective to describe a person. "Billy is very gay". "Occasionally, Billy can demonstrate blatantly gay behavior". Albeit both sentences are portraying identical information, the former sentence would most likely be deemed as a condescending usage of the word, and conversely, the latter sentence most likely may be interpreted as an appropriate usage of the word, however as I stated the word interpret, this topic is subjective and I find no reason to conclude that utilizing the word gay is inherently offensive.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:07:38 AM
At 9/3/2014 1:46:20 AM, Material_Girl wrote:
Things are only offensive if a negative connotation is applied to them. Having said that, "gay," does have a negative connotation in society because society is full of bigots. As long as homosexuality isn't socially acceptable, saying "that's so gay!" is inherently offensive.

Little girls are supposed to be weirded out by homosexuality, wtf... Haven't you seen Interview with a Vampire?
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:08:25 AM
At 9/3/2014 4:58:52 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
F*ck gay people!

Fvcking gay people is one of those things that has great potential to indicate that you might also be gay since you'd probably have to be the same gender in order to receive their consent in the first place. I'm not saying I have any problem with you fvcking gay people, you can fvck all the gay people you want if they consent to being fvcked by you, I'm just saying that it could probably have indications towards your own sexuality. So, fvcking gay people is one of those things that we can look at and actually say,"That's so gay" because most (lawful) circumstances where a person was fvcking a gay person would indeed be a very homosexual act.

Unless, of course, you are simply expressing a desire for experimentation, in which case you may or may not actually be gay, depending on how you feel about it afterwards. Or you could be bisexual, in which case we would say,"That's so bi!" Either that, or you are just expressing your support for people in the gay community fvcking, (in which case you forgot the comma, and I personally would reiterate the statement for clarity. So, it would then be,"Fvck, gay people! Fvck all day long!"), and if that is what you are saying, then I say,"Right on, brother (or sister)! All the gay people should fvck until they just can't fvck any more!" Or maybe you intended your statement as an act of charity. Kinda like saying,"We should all fvck gay people just to let them know that they are loved!" In this case, I would leave you to it because I would rather just hug a gay person or something, but I don't really want to fvck them. But, nonetheless, I can support you wanting to express your support for the gay community if fvcking them is your way of going about it. Maybe you could start your own support group and call it "Fvck Your Way to Understanding, an LGBT Support Group" or maybe "Orgies for Human Connections and to Erase Homophobia" or something. I don't know how effective it would be, but at least you would be giving your support to the community.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:10:52 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:08:25 AM, neptune1bond wrote:
F*ck gay people!

Fvcking gay people is one of those things that has great potential to indicate that you might also be gay since you'd probably have to be the same gender in order to receive their consent in the first place. I'm not saying I have any problem with you fvcking gay people, you can fvck all the gay people you want if they consent to being fvcked by you, I'm just saying that it could probably have indications towards your own sexuality. So, fvcking gay people is one of those things that we can look at and actually say,"That's so gay" because most (lawful) circumstances where a person was fvcking a gay person would indeed be a very homosexual act.

Unless, of course, you are simply expressing a desire for experimentation, in which case you may or may not actually be gay, depending on how you feel about it afterwards. Or you could be bisexual, in which case we would say,"That's so bi!" Either that, or you are just expressing your support for people in the gay community fvcking, (in which case you forgot the comma, and I personally would reiterate the statement for clarity. So, it would then be,"Fvck, gay people! Fvck all day long!"), and if that is what you are saying, then I say,"Right on, brother (or sister)! All the gay people should fvck until they just can't fvck any more!" Or maybe you intended your statement as an act of charity. Kinda like saying,"We should all fvck gay people just to let them know that they are loved!" In this case, I would leave you to it because I would rather just hug a gay person or something, but I don't really want to fvck them. But, nonetheless, I can support you wanting to express your support for the gay community if fvcking them is your way of going about it. Maybe you could start your own support group and call it "Fvck Your Way to Understanding, an LGBT Support Group" or maybe "Orgies for Human Connections and to Erase Homophobia" or something. I don't know how effective it would be, but at least you would be giving your support to the community.

Dude, it was a troll... I was playing with the connotations of words to create the ultimate in ambivalence...
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:12:44 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:10:52 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
F*ck gay people!

Dude, it was a troll... I was playing with the connotations of words to create the ultimate in ambivalence...

Dude, I was trolling you back...I was playing with the different literal interpretations of the phrase in order to joke around and have a little fun...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:15:31 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:12:44 AM, neptune1bond wrote:
F*ck gay people!

Dude, I was trolling you back...I was playing with the different literal interpretations of the phrase in order to joke around and have a little fun...

Yeah I figured, but instead of reading what you wrote I took the number of words you wrote as excuse to explain myself in a sort of trollception where you get trolled for taking me seriously even though I was being serious.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:21:25 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:15:31 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
F*ck gay people!

Yeah I figured, but instead of reading what you wrote I took the number of words you wrote as excuse to explain myself in a sort of trollception where you get trolled for taking me seriously even though I was being serious.

And thus you are trolled for seriously considering the trolling backtrollishness with which I trolled your trolling troll in the first statement of the troll conversation and thus the cycle continues and the circle is completedly......trolled......

......troll.....

......*cough*.......

*stares at you blankly*
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:23:18 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:21:25 AM, neptune1bond wrote:
F*ck gay people!

And thus you are trolled for seriously considering the trolling backtrollishness with which I trolled your trolling troll in the first statement of the troll conversation and thus the cycle continues and the circle is completedly......trolled......

......troll.....

......*cough*.......

*stares at you blankly*

No, no, I get the win with the "didn't read lol" troll: https://www.youtube.com...
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:30:24 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:23:18 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
F*ck gay people!

......troll.....

......*cough*.......

*stares at you blankly*

No, no, I get the win with the "didn't read lol" troll: https://www.youtube.com...

Ah, but the people who "did read" will realize that not reading the trolling argument and then claiming victory out of ignorance is a fail in itself and therefor indicates automatic loss. Even if you go back and "did read", you cannot fix the "didn't read" since everyone else will "did read" the thing you "didn't read" and then "did read" your admittance of "didn't read". It's o.k. though, I'll still be your friend if no one else will since generosity is always the ultimate win in life.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:36:48 AM
No, see, you failed there again - the appropriate troll response to that last post would've been to not respond at all.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:38:04 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:30:24 AM, neptune1bond wrote:
At 9/3/2014 6:23:18 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
F*ck gay people!

......troll.....

......*cough*.......

*stares at you blankly*

Ah, but the people who "did read" will realize that not reading the trolling argument and then claiming victory out of ignorance is a fail in itself and therefor indicates automatic loss. Even if you go back and "did read", you cannot fix the "didn't read" since everyone else will "did read" the thing you "didn't read" and then "did read" your admittance of "didn't read". It's o.k. though, I'll still be your friend if no one else will since generosity is always the ultimate win in life.

I think it's also essential to point out that the troll who supports the LGBT community automatically wins since the LGBT community TOTALLY needs trolls to defend them and their cause. Yessum, thems how that werks! *nods*
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:40:40 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:36:48 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
No, see, you failed there again - the appropriate troll response to that last post would've been to not respond at all.

The expected/desired response and the appropriate response are not always the same thing. Critiquing the fact that I responded rather than the responding response with which I responded is also not really a response to my trollish response and therefor responds with trolling failure and forfeiture.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:47:41 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:42:14 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
No!

;P. I know it burns for a little bit afterwards, but just give it time and it will die down. I just recommend that you don't sit for a couple of hours.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:51:44 AM
At 9/3/2014 6:49:19 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
See, you could've won there again just leaving it, but I knew you wouldn't.

I think we're all winners in this conversation, even the losers. It was a great philosophical debate and our lives have been enriched simply by having had it. :D
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 9:37:13 AM
At 9/3/2014 5:07:38 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Little girls are supposed to be weirded out by homosexuality, wtf... Haven't you seen Interview with a Vampire?

No. Actually, I think I might be lesbian.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 10:32:10 AM

The problem is that words in languages can take on different meanings depending upon the common usage. So to say that "that's gay" is inherently offensive is an equivocation of sorts, since the meaning is usually not referring to the thing or person's sexual orientation. It's saying "That's dumb" or "that's stupid." It's not saying that's the things sexual orientation.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 12:04:49 PM
At 9/3/2014 9:37:13 AM, Material_Girl wrote:
At 9/3/2014 5:07:38 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

No. Actually, I think I might be lesbian.

Lol, you're fun.