Jump to topic:

Philosophy is stupid/useless/makes you dumber

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 8:53:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think that smart people with great understanding of a subject are able to able to dumb down complex ideas and simplify them so it makes sense to all.

I find often philosophy is the exact opposite. Often, philosophers use verbose language and abstract complex arguments about pointless thing that need not be debated about. I believe that philosophy is just a pointless exercise, so mediocre minds can feel good about themselves and feel smart.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:19:41 AM
At 9/7/2014 8:53:16 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
I think that smart people with great understanding of a subject are able to able to dumb down complex ideas and simplify them so it makes sense to all.

I find often philosophy is the exact opposite. Often, philosophers use verbose language and abstract complex arguments about pointless thing that need not be debated about. I believe that philosophy is just a pointless exercise, so mediocre minds can feel good about themselves and feel smart.

This is an effect of democracy. We all have an equal vote; the opinion of a person who has thought through their position thoroughly is considered no more valuable than someone who just guesses in the moment. So opinions and ideas are considered nothing; only 'work' is valuable. This seems to be the most widespread ideology in a democratic country.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:22:52 AM

I am inclined to agree. The first thing philosophical people say is "it's complex and not that easy" It is people's unwillingness to make unpopular decisions and take responsibility that makes everything "Complicated"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:27:12 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:22:52 AM, sadolite wrote:

I am inclined to agree. The first thing philosophical people say is "it's complex and not that easy" It is people's unwillingness to make unpopular decisions and take responsibility that makes everything "Complicated"

Yeah. "it is complex and you cannot understand it" is what a lot of risk analysts said about mortgages/loans prior to the 2008 financial crisis. Turns out, all of their abstract math was useless/pointless and society paid because of it.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:29:24 AM

Philosophy being irrelevant is the status quo at this point. "Shut up and work" is the dominant paradigm.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:35:17 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:29:24 AM, sdavio wrote:

Philosophy being irrelevant is the status quo at this point. "Shut up and work" is the dominant paradigm.

I think that philosophy does not add value to society. I mean, do philosophy if it makes a feel good. But I think you are kidding yourself if you think philosophy is useful.

I think people are better off studying something of value than doing philosophy. I can't think of how philosophers adds value to society. I am more thinking of people who study philosophy.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:36:04 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:19:41 AM, sdavio wrote:

This is an effect of democracy. We all have an equal vote; the opinion of a person who has thought through their position thoroughly is considered no more valuable than someone who just guesses in the moment. So opinions and ideas are considered nothing; only 'work' is valuable. This seems to be the most widespread ideology in a democratic country.

I think usefull ideas are considered valueble. But, I don't think philosophy generates many useful ideas.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:39:30 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:35:17 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

I think that philosophy does not add value to society. I mean, do philosophy if it makes a feel good. But I think you are kidding yourself if you think philosophy is useful.

I think people are better off studying something of value than doing philosophy. I can't think of how philosophers adds value to society. I am more thinking of people who study philosophy.

Imagine if instead of science being decided by what theory works, we simply got everyone to fill in a form of what they 'think' the solution is. Some people might vote that E=mc6 just because they like the sound of that better, and so on. Then science would be a useless thing to study, because even if you figure out the right answer, your opinion still comes down to the same input as the guy who's guessing. That is where morality and philosophy are at today.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:40:41 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:36:04 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

I think usefull ideas are considered valueble. But, I don't think philosophy generates many useful ideas.

If by philosophy you just mean philosophy courses at Uni then maybe you're right.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:54:16 AM
I both agree and disagree. While I think there is quite a lot of bullsh*t (the theory of forms, for example), I regard philosophy first and foremost as soul.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:47:56 PM
At 9/7/2014 9:39:30 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 9/7/2014 9:35:17 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

Imagine if instead of science being decided by what theory works, we simply got everyone to fill in a form of what they 'think' the solution is. Some people might vote that E=mc6 just because they like the sound of that better, and so on. Then science would be a useless thing to study, because even if you figure out the right answer, your opinion still comes down to the same input as the guy who's guessing. That is where morality and philosophy are at today.

I'd say that is where philosophy is today. And, that is where philosophy in general has always been. There just was not enough science to prove the old philosophers wrong so people regarded their BS as something intelligent.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:50:24 PM
At 9/7/2014 9:40:41 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 9/7/2014 9:36:04 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

If by philosophy you just mean philosophy courses at Uni then maybe you're right.

Yeah, I am in general talking about university philosophy courses and things along those lines. Like people who get into Kant and Descartes and those kind of guys.

I mean, I am sure you could say anyone with ideas is a Philosopher like Warren Buffett or Barrack Obama. But, I mainly talking about university philosophy courses and things like that.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:51:42 PM
At 9/7/2014 9:54:16 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I both agree and disagree. While I think there is quite a lot of bullsh*t (the theory of forms, for example), I regard philosophy first and foremost as soul.
]
Yeah, I have no issue with people who do philosophy for fun or other reasons. Like how people read poetry or paint. But, I don't think it is useful in today's society.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:55:41 PM
At 9/7/2014 12:51:42 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
]
Yeah, I have no issue with people who do philosophy for fun or other reasons. Like how people read poetry or paint. But, I don't think it is useful in today's society.

I personally like the idea of society becoming more soulful.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:56:18 PM
At 9/7/2014 12:55:41 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
]

In fact, if I can conceive of any point to all this at all, it's that.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:59:09 PM
]

Yeah, but people can find "soul" in a plethora of activities. People find soul in whatever they are passionate about. People can find soul in poetry, arts, music, sports, building things ect. It probably is better if people find "soul" in something that is also useful. But, people do not really choose their passions.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:01:34 PM
At 9/7/2014 12:59:09 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
]

Yeah, but people can find "soul" in a plethora of activities. People find soul in whatever they are passionate about. People can find soul in poetry, arts, music, sports, building things ect. It probably is better if people find "soul" in something that is also useful. But, people do not really choose their passions.

You seem to have agreed your way into your own silliness, friend.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:02:07 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:01:34 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
]

OH!! Was that what the thread title was about? Damn, good troll dude!
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:05:04 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:02:07 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
]

I am not following.

I know some people like doing philosophy. But, I was saying that people should not fool themselves into thinking philosophy is intelligent and producing useful ideas.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:05:44 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:05:04 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
]

I am not following.

I know some people like doing philosophy. But, I was saying that people should not fool themselves into thinking philosophy is intelligent and producing useful ideas.

I disagree and also you are wrong.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:07:37 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:05:44 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
]

I am not following.

What do you disagree with and why?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:09:30 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:07:37 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
]

I am not following.

I am really not up to this right now dude, but to keep it short: a person's philosophy is their soul--it's politics, psychology, and science all rolled into one--and I think it important to know each other.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:11:17 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:09:30 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
]

I am not following.

I am really not up to this right now dude, but to keep it short: a person's philosophy is their soul--it's politics, psychology, and science all rolled into one--and I think it important to know each other.

Ohh okay. Yeah, I said that I know technically any belief can be a philosophy. I was just saying that in general university philosophy and things like Kant, Descartes ect are useless/stupid and make you dumber.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:14:09 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:11:17 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
]

I am not following.

Ohh okay. Yeah, I said that I know technically any belief can be a philosophy. I was just saying that in general university philosophy and things like Kant, Descartes ect are useless/stupid and make you dumber.

And I disagree. Certain philosophers are marvellously insightful as to the world around you--that is, as to the human condition. Let's keep the STEM/Philosophy debate off DDO dude, it's one of the pettiest there is.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:10:33 PM
At 9/7/2014 1:14:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
]

I am not following.

And I disagree. Certain philosophers are marvellously insightful as to the world around you--that is, as to the human condition. Let's keep the STEM/Philosophy debate off DDO dude, it's one of the pettiest there is.

OKay, well philosophers do not produce anything of value. I don't think they produce intelligent thought, just abstract nonsense and pointless mind exercises.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:13:42 PM
At 9/7/2014 2:10:33 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 9/7/2014 1:14:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
]

I am not following.

OKay, well philosophers do not produce anything of value. I don't think they produce intelligent thought, just abstract nonsense and pointless mind exercises.

Shush now, you're being ridiculous.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:19:09 PM

Well, if you disagree you could start by giving an example of something of value that philosophy has produced?

The bottom line is that all these abstract philosophy arguments may make people feel smart, but it is a bunch of useless stupid thought.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:20:55 PM
At 9/7/2014 2:19:09 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Well, if you disagree you could start by giving an example of something of value that philosophy has produced?

The bottom line is that all these abstract philosophy arguments may make people feel smart, but it is a bunch of useless stupid thought.

And this thread is much better I suppose?--to save the world from that monstrous Philosophy!