Jump to topic:

Take Heart!

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:47:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Vulnerability is a curious word; Wikipedia defines it as "(T)he state or condition of being weak or poorly defended." A bully who teases someone much smaller and weaker is not at risk of being called courageous; it is in going against a formidable foe which emboldens one in the eyes of his, or her, peers. Courage is not found apart from being vulnerable, and being vulnerable requires some degree of weakness.

Yet, this weakness is not for lack of heart; for, the root of courage is the Latin word cor, meaning heart. With the heart do we show true courage. An individual may have all the power and might in the world but if he, or she, is heartless, courage is nowhere to be found.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 5:58:24 PM
At 9/12/2014 11:26:55 AM, Garbanza wrote:
That's true. Love casts out fear.

For me, taking heart, or being courageous, is not about being fearless. It's about facing something even in the presence of fear.

The point I was trying to make is courage is not known apart from vulnerability, and vulnerability is not known apart from fear. If you were to pick a fight, knowing there was no possibility of losing, for me, that is not being courageous. Being courageous is being vulnerable, and being vulnerable is knowing there is a possibility you might lose. The heart that is courageous is not absent of fear and weakness; the heart that is courageous is courageous in the presence of fear and weakness.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 7:11:25 AM
At 9/12/2014 5:58:24 PM, s-anthony wrote:
For me, taking heart, or being courageous, is not about being fearless. It's about facing something even in the presence of fear.

The point I was trying to make is courage is not known apart from vulnerability, and vulnerability is not known apart from fear. If you were to pick a fight, knowing there was no possibility of losing, for me, that is not being courageous. Being courageous is being vulnerable, and being vulnerable is knowing there is a possibility you might lose. The heart that is courageous is not absent of fear and weakness; the heart that is courageous is courageous in the presence of fear and weakness.

I suppose so. On the other hand, you need motivation to do the courageous act in the first place, whatever it is. For example, you could be motivated to do something painful and scary because of a greater fear - getting an abortion so nobody finds out you're pregnant for example, or stealing money to pay off a bully. Even though you're vulnerable and afraid to get an abortion or steal money doesn't make it real courage, whereas both those acts could be brave if they were motivated differently.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 10:09:32 AM
At 9/13/2014 7:11:25 AM, Garbanza wrote:

I suppose so. On the other hand, you need motivation to do the courageous act in the first place, whatever it is. For example, you could be motivated to do something painful and scary because of a greater fear - getting an abortion so nobody finds out you're pregnant for example, or stealing money to pay off a bully. Even though you're vulnerable and afraid to get an abortion or steal money doesn't make it real courage, whereas both those acts could be brave if they were motivated differently.

That's a very good point. I had not looked at it from that angle.

I believe the motivation for being courageous is the heart, and for me, the heart is the seat of all emotions; and, I also believe we have value for that which we have feelings; in other words, our emotions color our values. If I love something, I'm going to place a value on it; and, this value leads to my desire for it. If I hate, or detest, something, the value is a negative value; nevertheless it's a value. If something has no value to me, whatsoever, then, I will have no feelings for it, one way or the other.

I said all that to say this: In the two scenarios, getting an abortion and paying off a bully, you are motivated by a greater fear; and, that fear represents a greater vulnerability or weakness; in the first scenario, it may be the fear of rejection; and, in the second scenario, it may be the fear of violence. However, all instances of courage are colored by these same dynamics. A soldier may fight valiantly in battle even though one's life is in danger for the greater fear of annihilation or oppression by the enemy. A man may reluctantly approach an attractive woman in a bar with the intention of getting to know her, even though he fears rejection, for the greater fear of spending his life alone.

Whether we interpret any act as a courageous act is a matter of subjectivity. Most people would view stealing to pay off a bully as an act of cowardice; however, the bully may see his, or her, action as being exhilarating and courageous. If he, or she, believes by conquering one fear (the act of stealing) another even greater fear is averted (violence), then, he, or she, may see that as being courageous. Remember the sense of courage comes from preserving the greater good (or value) in the face of fear and vulnerability.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:14:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago

Dead On.

A hero is not courageous because they have no fear, they are courageous in spite of the fear they have. If someone says they aren't afraid in a fire fight is a fool.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 5:24:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 2:14:33 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Dead On.

A hero is not courageous because they have no fear, they are courageous in spite of the fear they have. If someone says they aren't afraid in a fire fight is a fool.

I agree with you except I would replace the phrase "in spite" with the word "because". I believe without fear there is no courage.