Jump to topic:

Logic and Reason

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 1:14:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am not quite sure what these two terms mean? Can anybody explain what logic and reason mean in a layman's terms? I think i'm using both of them at times, but I could be wrong. I don't want to say these words at the wrong time when they mean something different than what I think?
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 5:28:35 PM
At 9/20/2014 1:14:03 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
I am not quite sure what these two terms mean? Can anybody explain what logic and reason mean in a layman's terms? I think i'm using both of them at times, but I could be wrong. I don't want to say these words at the wrong time when they mean something different than what I think?

In the context of Philosophy, "Logic" means to string words together in a way that laypeople can't follow, and "Reason" means to jerk off whilst admiring your own intellect.

If you're looking for a layperson's definition, I suggest you try Google.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 9:21:20 PM
At 9/20/2014 5:28:35 PM, apb4y wrote:

In the context of Philosophy, "Logic" means to string words together in a way that laypeople can't follow, and "Reason" means to jerk off whilst admiring your own intellect.

If you're looking for a layperson's definition, I suggest you try Google.

So Logic is saying things normal people can't understand and reason is to be a douche?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 10:42:01 PM

I would sum it up by referring to logic as set of rules for rational thought, which generally centers around consistency. Reason is more or less the application of logic. The two are difficult to distinguish in many contexts, which is why people often cite them together.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 5:59:16 PM

The Fool: "Reason" is a broader expression than the term "logic," and is used more loosely than logic.

In philosophy we generally speak of inductive and deductive reasoning, and synonymously inductive and deductive inferences. Logic tends to be reserved for deductive reasoning. (But we wouldn't necessarily call inductive reasoning illogical.)

An "Inference" is the process of arriving at a conclusion.

For an "inference" to be logical the truth must be preserved from the premises to the conclusion.

The "premises" are what's given or assumed, and the "conclusion" is the truth arrived at via the premises.

Truth Preservation
By "truth preservation" , I mean there cannot be new information added which was not inherent in the premises, or is not some kind of summary of those premises.

E.g
Think of a long tube which I'm passing "milk" through. The milk can show up at the other end of the tube as milk and/or as sour milk. But not orange juice.

It's stupid, but it's what came to my head immediately.
<(89)

The "premises" are what's given or assumed(in this case the milk) and the conclusion(Fresh or Sour milk) is the truth arrived at via the inference(tube),

If the premises are true(it really is milk), and the conclusion follows from the premises we call that a "sound" argument. (conclusion is by necessity true)

Against The Ideologist

But, don't cry over spilt milk.
<(XD)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 10:58:52 AM

I would think that logic would refer to the process of correct reasoning. Whereas reason is more like critical thinking abilities, which includes judgments of truths, etc.

So I'd say that all logic is reason, but not all reason is logic.

But then again, they're both used pretty co-extensively nowadays.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."