Jump to topic:

Arguments for an afterlife

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 10:25:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anybody have any ideas for the arguments of an afterlife?

It seems to me that most arguments would have to do with a God... thoughts?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 10:41:19 AM
At 9/22/2014 10:25:05 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I am guessing the following categories:

1. Argument for the existence of an eternal soul (fungability arguments)
2. Theodicies to PoE (You need to establish a benevolent God's existence first though)
3. Some form of idealism argument when the mind dies (non-reducability, or something of the kind)

At least that's how I would go about it.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 10:55:06 AM
At 9/22/2014 10:41:19 AM, Envisage wrote:

I am guessing the following categories:

1. Argument for the existence of an eternal soul (fungability arguments)
2. Theodicies to PoE (You need to establish a benevolent God's existence first though)
3. Some form of idealism argument when the mind dies (non-reducability, or something of the kind)

At least that's how I would go about it.

That's what I was thinking as well. However, I don't see nearly as many debates on this topic as I do about the existence of God, and other controversial metaphysical positions. I suppose it's because an afterlife is largely parasitic upon these other statements, which are highly debatable.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 10:59:10 AM

Since reality is self-contained, it must make and recognize its own choice to exist. Accordingly, it must self-select from an internally generated set of potentials or "possible futures". So long as our actions are in line with teleology (the will of God), when we die, we will be retracted upward along the mapping that created us and have the chance to reunite with God and thus participate in system timelessness.
1Credo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 10:59:16 AM
Going off of what Envisage said, I think that the argument for the soul would be one of the stronger arguments for an afterlife. Here's an interesting argument:

https://www.youtube.com...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 11:00:39 AM
At 9/22/2014 10:59:10 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Since reality is self-contained, it must make and recognize its own choice to exist. Accordingly, it must self-select from an internally generated set of potentials or "possible futures". So long as our actions are in line with teleology (the will of God), when we die, we will be retracted upward along the mapping that created us and have the chance to reunite with God and thus participate in system timelessness.

Define:

Self-contained
Self-select
internally generated set of potentials
mapping

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 11:08:22 AM
At 9/22/2014 11:00:39 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 9/22/2014 10:59:10 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Define:

Self-contained

Everything relevant to reality (God) is part of reality...that is, reality relies on no external structure in order to define and maintain its existence.

Self-select

This means that reality causes itself to adopt a configuration based on its self-defined utility i.e. what should be preserved.

internally generated set of potentials

A set of self-defined possible states that reality could choose to become.

mapping

When God projects himself into localized phenomena, such that God's structure distributes over said phenomena.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 11:58:04 AM
I once debated Spinko on the question. A really interesting, if problematic, debate. http://www.debate.org...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 2:11:33 PM
At 9/22/2014 11:58:04 AM, thett3 wrote:
I once debated Spinko on the question. A really interesting, if problematic, debate. http://www.debate.org...

Aha. I was wondering if someone would bring up NDEs as an argument.

a_drumming_dog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 8:16:08 PM
You could consider astral projection experiences as anecdotal evidence form people who had engaged in projection, but many skeptics dismiss these accounts as hallucinations. It's hard to tell if they are hallucinations or not though since many of the people who actually do project claim that it is spiritual and very real.
The truth will set you free
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 10:22:37 PM

I don"t think "most" arguments would have to do with a God because belief in a God is not nearly as universal as belief in an afterlife. Almost all known cultures have held some kind of belief in an afterlife, but that just isn"t the case with belief in a God. relevant examples would be the doctrines of Karma and reincarnation found in Buddhism, Jainism, and varieties of Hinduism that emphasize an impersonal Absolute rather than a God.

It seems to me that most religious arguments would have to do with belief in a physically transcendent moral order since that seems to be what they have in common.

Outside of religious considerations, I think most arguments will come down to metaphysical views concerning the nature of the mind / body problem, in general with dualism opposing materialism.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 2:39:00 AM

I will try thinking outside the box here.......

Infinite probability = this has happened before this will happen again ergo you will exist at some other point too

Thinking something like the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. All things that can happen will happen/parallel universes
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12