Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Do logical thinking and god go together?

chui
Posts: 511
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 10:57:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There would appear to be a correlation between how a logical a person is and how unlikely they are to believe in god. Something over 90% of scientists are atheists, agnostic, deist or pantheist. I would imagine the same goes for philosophers.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 11:29:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/23/2014 9:14:43 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Logical thinking is a quality of mankind done to understand what they can't.

Actually, logical thinking is a mathematically reasonable process by which you can use two or more premises to determine a conclusion. For example, it does not logically follow that:

P1 Humans cannot understand certain things
P2 Logic helps you understand certain things
C Logic helps you understand what you can't understand

It doesn't matter that logic helps you understand, because you cannot understand that which you do not understand.

There are plenty of reasonable people who believe in god, but I don't even know how you say "logical thinking and god go together" as if the two are either universally tied or mutually exclusive.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 12:39:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/23/2014 11:29:14 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 9/23/2014 9:14:43 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Logical thinking is a quality of mankind done to understand what they can't.

Actually, logical thinking is a mathematically reasonable process by which you can use two or more premises to determine a conclusion. For example, it does not logically follow that:

P1 Humans cannot understand certain things
P2 Logic helps you understand certain things
C Logic helps you understand what you can't understand

It doesn't matter that logic helps you understand, because you cannot understand that which you do not understand.

There are plenty of reasonable people who believe in god, but I don't even know how you say "logical thinking and god go together" as if the two are either universally tied or mutually exclusive.

I said they can but it is unlikely.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 12:58:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/23/2014 12:39:36 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 9/23/2014 11:29:14 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 9/23/2014 9:14:43 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Logical thinking is a quality of mankind done to understand what they can't.

Actually, logical thinking is a mathematically reasonable process by which you can use two or more premises to determine a conclusion. For example, it does not logically follow that:

P1 Humans cannot understand certain things
P2 Logic helps you understand certain things
C Logic helps you understand what you can't understand

It doesn't matter that logic helps you understand, because you cannot understand that which you do not understand.

There are plenty of reasonable people who believe in god, but I don't even know how you say "logical thinking and god go together" as if the two are either universally tied or mutually exclusive.

I said they can but it is unlikely.

I looked at the 20 other words you have in this forum topic, and I don't see what you're talking about or what you're referring to. Expand please.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Demetriuscapone
Posts: 152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 2:36:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Nope. Basic logic appeals to conviction rising with evidence. It is fundamentally illogical to believe something to be absolutely true on insufficient evidence.