Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Do logical thinking and god go together?

chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 10:57:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There would appear to be a correlation between how a logical a person is and how unlikely they are to believe in god. Something over 90% of scientists are atheists, agnostic, deist or pantheist. I would imagine the same goes for philosophers.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 11:29:14 AM
At 9/23/2014 9:14:43 AM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Logical thinking is a quality of mankind done to understand what they can't.

Actually, logical thinking is a mathematically reasonable process by which you can use two or more premises to determine a conclusion. For example, it does not logically follow that:

P1 Humans cannot understand certain things
P2 Logic helps you understand certain things
C Logic helps you understand what you can't understand

It doesn't matter that logic helps you understand, because you cannot understand that which you do not understand.

There are plenty of reasonable people who believe in god, but I don't even know how you say "logical thinking and god go together" as if the two are either universally tied or mutually exclusive.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 12:39:36 PM
At 9/23/2014 11:29:14 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Actually, logical thinking is a mathematically reasonable process by which you can use two or more premises to determine a conclusion. For example, it does not logically follow that:

It doesn't matter that logic helps you understand, because you cannot understand that which you do not understand.

There are plenty of reasonable people who believe in god, but I don't even know how you say "logical thinking and god go together" as if the two are either universally tied or mutually exclusive.

I said they can but it is unlikely.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2014 12:58:12 PM
At 9/23/2014 12:39:36 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
At 9/23/2014 11:29:14 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

I said they can but it is unlikely.

I looked at the 20 other words you have in this forum topic, and I don't see what you're talking about or what you're referring to. Expand please.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Demetriuscapone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 2:36:19 AM
Nope. Basic logic appeals to conviction rising with evidence. It is fundamentally illogical to believe something to be absolutely true on insufficient evidence.