Views on caring for our future and beyond

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 12:39:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.nytimes.com...

This link provides dozens of commentaries discussing points of view on global warming from known scholars/scientists/clerics/academics.

One particularly interesting commentary:
"I have a lot more fears than hopes. One aspect that particularly troubles me is that economists tend to underprioritize efforts at mitigation of atmospheric carbon, because the really serious downside of inaction won"t be experienced until the 22nd century and beyond. If action is delayed, it may then be too late to avoid irreversible runaway changes.

We shouldn"t discriminate against our fellow humans on grounds of date of birth. The lifetime welfare of the newborn should rate as highly as that of the already middle-aged. Indeed, many philosophers would assign equal value to the rights of those not yet born.

For them, foreclosing the potentialities of all future generations would be so catastrophic that we should strive to reduce even the tiniest probability that this could happen."

Is this true, DDO philosophers? I think so.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 9:58:56 PM
At 9/28/2014 12:39:58 PM, ben2974 wrote:

This link provides dozens of commentaries discussing points of view on global warming from known scholars/scientists/clerics/academics.

"I have a lot more fears than hopes. One aspect that particularly troubles me is that economists tend to underprioritize efforts at mitigation of atmospheric carbon, because the really serious downside of inaction won"t be experienced until the 22nd century and beyond. If action is delayed, it may then be too late to avoid irreversible runaway changes.

We shouldn"t discriminate against our fellow humans on grounds of date of birth. The lifetime welfare of the newborn should rate as highly as that of the already middle-aged. Indeed, many philosophers would assign equal value to the rights of those not yet born.

For them, foreclosing the potentialities of all future generations would be so catastrophic that we should strive to reduce even the tiniest probability that this could happen."

You got way bigger fiscal problem coming your way that will make global warming look like a dirty hamster cage
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 10:07:10 PM
At 9/29/2014 9:58:56 PM, sadolite wrote:

You got way bigger fiscal problem coming your way that will make global warming look like a dirty hamster cage

No short term economic problems should marginalize efforts to protect the environment. Global warming and environmental protection is not just America's problem; it's the world's problem. It is a problem for economic, political, social, and moral reasons.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 10:23:41 PM
At 9/29/2014 10:07:10 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 9/29/2014 9:58:56 PM, sadolite wrote:

No short term economic problems should marginalize efforts to protect the environment. Global warming and environmental protection is not just America's problem; it's the world's problem. It is a problem for economic, political, social, and moral reasons.

Global warming ain't gonna mean a whole lot in about 5 years. Your going to wondering where your next meal is going to come from
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%