Jump to topic:

Does God have a purpose?

VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 9:28:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In one of an earlier forum I was going through today, I came across the definition of God as being omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent. I have read many debates on these properties of God such as omnipotence and if God is such, why can't he create something more powerful compared to himself. I am however not here to debate such properties of God. My question is, if there is a being with all 3 properties (omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent) as mentioned, does that being have a purpose for existence? If yes, what is that purpose and why? If no, why?

Note: I am not a religious person. So please include references or sources (eg. from other websites or the bible if you may). I hope we can have proper discussions and not just a forum on blind faith.
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 1:01:32 PM
His purpose is Love!

and it's his own self-realized purpose :)

- - -

don't expect me to explain this... It's just the answer you're going to get.
Burls
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 4:43:16 PM
Why be altruistic? Because an omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent entity would have an idea of what profit would come from it.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 7:32:24 PM
At 10/7/2014 9:28:31 PM, VelCrow wrote:
In one of an earlier forum I was going through today, I came across the definition of God as being omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent. I have read many debates on these properties of God such as omnipotence and if God is such, why can't he create something more powerful compared to himself. I am however not here to debate such properties of God. My question is, if there is a being with all 3 properties (omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent) as mentioned, does that being have a purpose for existence? If yes, what is that purpose and why? If no, why?

Note: I am not a religious person. So please include references or sources (eg. from other websites or the bible if you may). I hope we can have proper discussions and not just a forum on blind faith.

Omniscience alone rules out the idea of purpose. If you know everything that is going to happen then you are just going through the motions. Of course never mind the fact that God is supposed to be timeless so there are no motions. To theists that seems to be beside the point.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 8:34:43 PM
In one of an earlier forum I was going through today, I came across the definition of God as being omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent. I have read many debates on these properties of God such as omnipotence and if God is such, why can't he create something more powerful compared to himself.

God cannot create something more powerful than himself because that is impossible, as God is the most powerful being. Omnipotence, at least to most philosophers, simply means that God can do anything that is logically and metaphysically possible. Since creating a being more powerful than himself is logically impossible, then he can still be omniscient and omnipotent.

I am however not here to debate such properties of God. My question is, if there is a being with all 3 properties (omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent) as mentioned, does that being have a purpose for existence? If yes, what is that purpose and why? If no, why?

Who knows? I guess you would have to ask him lol

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 8:35:48 PM
At 10/8/2014 7:32:24 PM, Double_R wrote:

Omniscience alone rules out the idea of purpose. If you know everything that is going to happen then you are just going through the motions.

Seems like a non-sequitur.

Of course never mind the fact that God is supposed to be timeless so there are no motions. To theists that seems to be beside the point.

Theists like William Lane Craig actually believe God is not timeless, but in time. God would only be timeless without the universe in existence.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 5:03:12 PM

I don't subscribe to a classical conception of the Divine as a being possessed of almightiness or omnipotence, however in my neoclassical conception God's purpose is essentially to promote every occasion of creative experience's best, fullest & richest self-actualization and to bestow upon every occasion of experience objective immortality in God's own ever-evolving, interactive-with-the-universe self-actualization. In short, God's fundamental function in the grand metaphysical scheme of things is to inspire and immortalize every entity, i.e. to enrich every entity and to enrich Godself.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 5:42:33 PM
At 10/27/2014 5:03:12 PM, charleslb wrote:

I don't subscribe to a classical conception of the Divine as a being possessed of almightiness or omnipotence, however in my neoclassical conception God's purpose is essentially to promote every occasion of creative experience's best, fullest & richest self-actualization and to bestow upon every occasion of experience objective immortality in God's own ever-evolving, interactive-with-the-universe self-actualization. In short, God's fundamental function in the grand metaphysical scheme of things is to inspire and immortalize every entity, i.e. to enrich every entity and to enrich Godself.

I find your spiritual views surprisingly harmonious with my own : - )
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 8:43:00 PM

I suppose there really is no purpose per say, but that such a being simply has a necessary existence.

Nolite Timere
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 9:33:07 PM

Omniscience alone rules out the idea of purpose. If you know everything that is going to happen then you are just going through the motions. Of course never mind the fact that God is supposed to be timeless so there are no motions. To theists that seems to be beside the point.

How could that be when knowing everything is the only way to really choose your purpose or it would choose you due to ignorance.

The science shows that the initial singularity was in a state of timelessness, yet expansion did happen. It wasn't motionless either rather moving at the speed of light which is what causez the time dilation to begin with, so it was anything but motionless.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 11:09:22 PM
At 10/27/2014 5:42:33 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/27/2014 5:03:12 PM, charleslb wrote:

I find your spiritual views surprisingly harmonious with my own : - )

I'm very glad.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 8:53:30 PM
At 10/27/2014 9:33:07 PM, Karmanator wrote:

How could that be when knowing everything is the only way to really choose your purpose or it would choose you due to ignorance.

Your not making sense. Do you have a purpose to anything you do? Do you know everything?

The science shows that the initial singularity was in a state of timelessness, yet expansion did happen. It wasn't motionless either rather moving at the speed of light which is what causez the time dilation to begin with, so it was anything but motionless.

It is theorized and accepted by many scientists that time came into existence at the point if the big bang. If this is the case then motion also came into existence at that point. To say otherwise would be to assert that there was motion before the big bang, which is a nonsensical concept. There cannot be a before without time. That's like telling me who the world series champion was before there was a world series.
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:36:18 AM
At 10/28/2014 8:53:30 PM, Double_R wrote:

Your not making sense. Do you have a purpose to anything you do? Do you know everything?

It is theorized and accepted by many scientists that time came into existence at the point if the big bang. If this is the case then motion also came into existence at that point. To say otherwise would be to assert that there was motion before the big bang, which is a nonsensical concept. There cannot be a before without time. That's like telling me who the world series champion was before there was a world series.

The way time is relative to motion is that time slows down the faster they are moving. So in essence time came into play the moment things slowed down enough. The slower things slow from the speed of light is when time takes more of a hold. Thats physics so with that in mind it makes more sense the singularity would have had motion with at least speed of light speeds.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:00:20 AM

No. From what I have observed, God is not omnipotent (all-powerful) and omniscient (all-knowing). I also do not believe that God is omnipresent (all-pervasive); I believe there is a greater world external to himself that he knows nothing about.

My observations also force me to believe that God is not omni-benevolent (all-loving); there is nothing in real-life or even in any holy text to defend this view, even though certain theistic philosophers have tried to argue it.

Now to your primary question: Do I believe God has a purpose?

In all truthfulness, I do not. I believe God exist quite unpurposefully and this truth is evident in our world and in the universe. God exist, that I'm firmly certain of. But any purpose God has is fleeting (short-term), much in the same way that a human's purpose for life is short-term and ever-changing.

Just because God exist doesn't mean it has a great cosmic purpose. I think God is at the mercy of a greater underlying physical power that controls him and that restrains his capabilities and he exist only existentially and quite absurdly.

Now, just because something exist absurdly doesn't mean it life can be at least partially enjoyably and meaningful in the short-term, because I believe humans exist absurdly too; but we manage on and most of it even find a way to make live life happily.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:04:25 AM
Correction:

"Just because something exist absurdly doesn't mean its life can't be at least partially enjoyably and meaningful in the short-term, because I believe humans exist absurdly too; but we manage on and the majority of us even find a way to live life happily."
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 7:39:57 PM
At 10/29/2014 9:36:18 AM, Karmanator wrote:
At 10/28/2014 8:53:30 PM, Double_R wrote:

The way time is relative to motion is that time slows down the faster they are moving. So in essence time came into play the moment things slowed down enough. The slower things slow from the speed of light is when time takes more of a hold. Thats physics so with that in mind it makes more sense the singularity would have had motion with at least speed of light speeds.

Still not making sense. If motion and time are relative to each other then without time there is no motion.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:08:55 PM

For God to create something more powerful than Himself would be absurd. He is God, He cannot lie and He cannot create anything more powerful than Himself because it is not possible for anything to be more powerful than God. Can God make a square peg fit into a round hole? No, that would be absurd. the round hole would have to cease being round or the square peg would have to cease being square or both of them would have to cease being what they are. For God to make something more powerful than Himself, He would have to cease being God. By asking this kind of question , you are implying that you are smarter than or more powerful than God. Between you and God, can you guess who is going to lose that argument?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:14:40 PM

God is God, He does not need a purpose to exist. There never was a time when God was not God, and there never will be a time when God is not God.

The question you need to be concerned about it the purpose of your own existence, and you need to get the answer right or you are lost in existence not knowing where you are going...unless you know you are going to the devil's Hell and you don't care.

The references and sources included here are wwv. common sense