Jump to topic:

Riddle

LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 7:19:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have a riddle that I have yet to see someone answer correctly on their first guess. There are some rules:
1. You cannot look this up. If you do I will know because there are 2 different answers and the one I don't use is plastered all over the internet.
2. You get 3 tries.
3. Whoever wins..I don't know..gets some major props.
4. Good Luck!

Here some background info for the riddle:
A sea captain recently sent his sons on a voyage and only one returned along with half the crew. They were hit by a storm and half the crew were killed and the cargo was destroyed. Also, the bird Albatross is inedible but not poisonous. It is like trying to eat a rock. You just don't eat it.

Now for the riddle:
A ship captain goes to a seaside restaurant and orders albatross. The cooks catch one and serve it to him. He tries to eat it but finds it inedible and so hangs himself until he is dead. Why?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 7:35:01 PM
At 10/9/2014 7:19:53 PM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:
I have a riddle that I have yet to see someone answer correctly on their first guess. There are some rules:
1. You cannot look this up. If you do I will know because there are 2 different answers and the one I don't use is plastered all over the internet.
2. You get 3 tries.
4. Good Luck!

A sea captain recently sent his sons on a voyage and only one returned along with half the crew. They were hit by a storm and half the crew were killed and the cargo was destroyed. Also, the bird Albatross is inedible but not poisonous. It is like trying to eat a rock. You just don't eat it.

Now for the riddle:
A ship captain goes to a seaside restaurant and orders albatross. The cooks catch one and serve it to him. He tries to eat it but finds it inedible and so hangs himself until he is dead. Why?

I am guessing he is stuck on a pacific island, and he send his cons to fetch supplies, which failed, so they have no food on the island.

On the pacific islands, albatross would be the only life there.

So, he would rather hang himself than die of starvation?
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 8:00:26 PM
The son that returned home is blind. let me know if you think my answer is right. or else pm me if you think my answer is wrong and I will tell you how I came to that conclusion.
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 8:14:18 PM
Did the Ship captain think it was poisonous, and then decide to hang himself after realizing it wasn't (since his sons died).
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 8:54:24 PM
At 10/9/2014 8:14:18 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Did the Ship captain think it was poisonous, and then decide to hang himself after realizing it wasn't (since his sons died).

The ship captain definitely thought it was edible (why else would he order it?), but if he didn't know it was in edible, then it seems implausible that he would think it was poisonous.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 8:59:54 PM
At 10/9/2014 8:54:24 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 10/9/2014 8:14:18 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

The ship captain definitely thought it was edible (why else would he order it?),

To try to kill himself.

but if he didn't know it was in edible, then it seems implausible that he would think it was poisonous.

Maybe all he knew about the bird was that people didn't eat it, so he assumed it was poisonous.
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 4:23:46 AM
These kinds of riddles are stupid, because they require ridiculous jumps to conclusion in order to reach the "correct" answer.

This article addresses this riddle, among others, and points out the obvious solutions.

http://qntm.org...
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 4:54:57 AM
The surviving crew had been faced with starvation and only had an albatross which would not feed everyone so they decided they must eat the dead to survive. To make it edible they all convinced themselves they ate albatross, even though most got human and only some got albatross. The captain ordered albatross to see what it tastes like, found out he had eaten human, and couldn't cope.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 6:17:20 AM
By the way, I didn't look it up, I just knew it because it's old. This is called a lateral thinking puzzle and "Albatross Sandwich" is one of the four most common, the answers to the others are:

1) He's a midget or dwarf and can't reach the 20th floor button, a variation is that on rainy days he can reach it with his umbrella.

2) She was sweeping snow off the window ledge and the end of the broom broke off an icicle that stabbed her in the back of the head.

3) John and Mary are goldfish, their tank broke.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 12:57:04 PM
At 10/10/2014 4:54:57 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
The surviving crew had been faced with starvation and only had an albatross which would not feed everyone so they decided they must eat the dead to survive. To make it edible they all convinced themselves they ate albatross, even though most got human and only some got albatross. The captain ordered albatross to see what it tastes like, found out he had eaten human, and couldn't cope.

If they are still stuck on the island, then why did the riddle include"A ship captain goes to a seaside restaurant and orders albatross." How would it be a restaurant?
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 3:33:10 PM
So far no one has it. So far very creative though on those answers. I will say this, however. There is no island involved.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 7:59:15 PM
At 10/9/2014 7:19:53 PM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:
2. You get 3 tries.
4. Good Luck!

Now for the riddle:

he tasted the soup and new the crew had served him his sons. It was the only food they could find, but lied to the captain telling him it was albatross.

Maybe you have hear this one:

A man gets up in the morning, while brushing his teeth he listens to the radio. Realizes the lights are off, and hangs himself. Why?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 8:00:34 PM
At 10/10/2014 4:23:46 AM, apb4y wrote:
These kinds of riddles are stupid, because they require ridiculous jumps to conclusion in order to reach the "correct" answer.

This article addresses this riddle, among others, and points out the obvious solutions.

http://qntm.org...

They are meant to be 21 yes or no questions to reach the conclusion. Which is probably why the O.P. gave some back ground.
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 8:08:12 PM
At 10/10/2014 7:59:15 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

A man gets up in the morning, while brushing his teeth he listens to the radio. Realizes the lights are off, and hangs himself. Why?

Autoerotic asphyxiation. He doesn't like jacking off with the lights on.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 4:40:19 AM
At 10/10/2014 12:57:04 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/10/2014 4:54:57 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

If they are still stuck on the island, then why did the riddle include"A ship captain goes to a seaside restaurant and orders albatross." How would it be a restaurant?

First three sentences happened before, it was after they were rescued that the Captain went to the restaurant to see what albatross tastes like.