Jump to topic:

Which career should I choose?

TheMysticalEggplant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:47:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to decide between neurobiological researcher, a doctor, or a bioengineer. A researcher because I want to learn and think, a doctor because I want to help people, and a bioengineer because I want to engineer a microbe that will decompose and reduce the organic waste polluting our earth.
Each of these career paths contain certain elements of morality and my ideological preference.. I think learning is good in itself and I will be able to solve disorders from molecular perspective, I think becoming a doctor is good because I will be able to save lives directly, and I think conserving the environment is good because we as a specie, along with majority of living organisms on earth, will perish soon if we don't do anything about our situation.
What do you guys think about the virtue of each of these career paths? Which one is more virtuous than the other two?
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:33:11 AM
At 10/12/2014 8:47:54 PM, TheMysticalEggplant wrote:
I want to decide between neurobiological researcher, a doctor, or a bioengineer. A researcher because I want to learn and think, a doctor because I want to help people, and a bioengineer because I want to engineer a microbe that will decompose and reduce the organic waste polluting our earth.
Each of these career paths contain certain elements of morality and my ideological preference.. I think learning is good in itself and I will be able to solve disorders from molecular perspective, I think becoming a doctor is good because I will be able to save lives directly, and I think conserving the environment is good because we as a specie, along with majority of living organisms on earth, will perish soon if we don't do anything about our situation.
What do you guys think about the virtue of each of these career paths? Which one is more virtuous than the other two?

I'm halfway through studying molecular biology. First, I was doing Biomedical Science, because I liked the idea of being "Doctor Apb4y" and curing all the world's ills. Then, when I failed Physiology, I realised that I don't give a shiit about the medical side of things. So I switched to Biotechnology, in the hopes that I could use my limited skills to get rich. However, having almost completed (and probably failed) my first Biotech paper, I've realised that I don't give a shiit about marketing and ethics either. If I fail Biotech, I'll have to change my major to generic Biology, and try to get my post-grad prerequisites by picking and choosing among the courses instead of following a programme. If I'd just done that in the first place, I would have completed my degree by now, I wouldn't be on academic probation, and I might have actually enjoyed my time at university.

Moral of the story: Don't be idealistic. Don't try to be something. Just do what interests you and see where that takes you. If you find brains fascinating, go for option 1. If you like treating sick people, go for option 2. If you like inventing stuff, go for option 3. Don't go in with a preconceived idea of what you're going to accomplish, because you'll get sidetracked and set back by things beyond your control.
notyourbusiness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 8:16:34 AM
I suppose all three jobs contribute positively to the society; how much each job contributes actually depends on the person, rather than the post itself. All of the potential jobs are good and virtuous, so choose according to other factors, such as cost (some courses may be extremely expensive, but it all comes down to whether or not you can afford it), job availability (are there any spaces for such jobs in the job market) and, most importantly, interest. Choose the job which is most interesting to you, so you don't bore yourself out.