Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Relativism is wrong because i don't like it?

twighlighttrees
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 11:02:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I continue to see the same response being proposed by those against relativism. "If relativism is correct then, that would mean Hitler would be just as moral as someone like Gandhi and thus cannot be morally held accountable for his actions." I continue to hear such an argument and hear that it is a critical flaw of relativism however nobody explains why. The given argument doesn't disprove it more it just highlights what relativism says. It gives no real reason not to believe relativism is true rather than to say well that's a sukish way the world works therefore its not right. It seems to me people don't want to accept the fact we live in a sukish world. Perhaps i'm missing something and someone could give me more insight?
It is not enough to win
On the fields of battle,
A wise commander must rule
The empire of the mind.
-Prince of Macedon
Burls
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 8:13:15 AM
People without some sort of metaphysical grounding can deny Relativism. Concrete metaphysical experience is sporadic, therefore Relativism is under-appreciated.
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:38:07 AM
At 10/13/2014 8:13:15 AM, Burls wrote:
People without some sort of metaphysical grounding can deny Relativism. Concrete metaphysical experience is sporadic, therefore Relativism is under-appreciated.

Please explain in words a lay person could understand. Thank you :)
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:31:49 AM
At 10/12/2014 11:02:09 PM, twighlighttrees wrote:
I continue to see the same response being proposed by those against relativism. "If relativism is correct then, that would mean Hitler would be just as moral as someone like Gandhi and thus cannot be morally held accountable for his actions." I continue to hear such an argument and hear that it is a critical flaw of relativism however nobody explains why. The given argument doesn't disprove it more it just highlights what relativism says. It gives no real reason not to believe relativism is true rather than to say well that's a sukish way the world works therefore its not right. It seems to me people don't want to accept the fact we live in a sukish world. Perhaps i'm missing something and someone could give me more insight?

Probably becaise that's rightly seen as a reductio ad absurdum.

it's like saying some view boils down to external world skepticism. Sure, an external world skeptic would be like "Okay? What's the problem with that?" but most normal, properly functioning people will see that as a reductio ad absurdum and thus be given reason to reject that view.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:27:56 PM
At 10/13/2014 11:31:49 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

it's like saying some view boils down to external world skepticism. Sure, an external world skeptic would be like "Okay? What's the problem with that?" but most normal, properly functioning people will see that as a reductio ad absurdum and thus be given reason to reject that view.

All you are doing is proving his point and throwing a little ad hominem in there lol What you view as "absurd" is just what you "don't like"... I for one deny the existence of an external material world, I think only minds exist and nothing else. However, saying that believing in this means I don't function properly is an adhominem attack and nothing more. It is no better than Atheists calling people who believe in God irrational and not thinking properly.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:55:28 PM
At 10/13/2014 12:27:56 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 10/13/2014 11:31:49 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

All you are doing is proving his point and throwing a little ad hominem in there lol What you view as "absurd" is just what you "don't like"... I for one deny the existence of an external material world, I think only minds exist and nothing else. However, saying that believing in this means I don't function properly is an adhominem attack and nothing more. It is no better than Atheists calling people who believe in God irrational and not thinking properly.

Didn't say external material world, so...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Burls
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 2:01:48 PM
At 10/13/2014 9:38:07 AM, VelCrow wrote:
At 10/13/2014 8:13:15 AM, Burls wrote:

Please explain in words a lay person could understand. Thank you :)

I obviously failed. Wiki does it: http://en.wikipedia.org...