Jump to topic:

As we age, time accelerates in our mind's eye

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:42:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Have you ever heard someone say that time seems to fly by the older they get? I've heard that multiple times throughout my life, stated in one way or another. A few years ago I was pondering on why that is. I came to a conclusion back then and would like to run it through the DDO system of scrutiny.

I wouldn't be surprised if what I am about to say is already a theory, and if so, I'd appreciate being told the name of the theory.

Basically, I think we perceive time as passing faster as we age due to our advanced years not being as lengthy as our earlier years. When I was 3, that year of being the age of 3 was 1/3 of my entire life. Whereas at the age of 25, the year of being the age of 25 is 1/25 of my entire life. Hence my year of being 25 seems much shorter to me than the year of being 3. Thus, ultimately, I perceive this year as going by much faster than the year did when I was only 3.

This is the jist of my theory as to why time seems to pass by faster and faster as we age. Does this theory already exist somewhere? If not, do you find it sound and worthy of being viewed as an acceptable answer?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
peaceseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:16:15 AM
At 10/13/2014 12:42:24 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Have you ever heard someone say that time seems to fly by the older they get? I've heard that multiple times throughout my life, stated in one way or another. A few years ago I was pondering on why that is. I came to a conclusion back then and would like to run it through the DDO system of scrutiny.

I wouldn't be surprised if what I am about to say is already a theory, and if so, I'd appreciate being told the name of the theory.

Basically, I think we perceive time as passing faster as we age due to our advanced years not being as lengthy as our earlier years. When I was 3, that year of being the age of 3 was 1/3 of my entire life. Whereas at the age of 25, the year of being the age of 25 is 1/25 of my entire life. Hence my year of being 25 seems much shorter to me than the year of being 3. Thus, ultimately, I perceive this year as going by much faster than the year did when I was only 3.

This is the jist of my theory as to why time seems to pass by faster and faster as we age. Does this theory already exist somewhere? If not, do you find it sound and worthy of being viewed as an acceptable answer?

As we get older time goes faster because we get slower.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:20:24 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:16:15 AM, peaceseeker wrote:

How?
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:58:50 AM

I've heard the following before, and generally like to stick with it:

When we're young (ages 0-9 or so), our brains are very busy capturing and analyzing new information. Everything we do and everything we see is so new, so there is a lot for the brain to do.

When we're old (ages 10+, since I think that the speed at which "time flies" remains relatively stable after some point), our brains recognize and have already analyzed a lot of what needs to be analyzed.

Example: Say an adult and a child go through the same experience (grocery shopping, or going to the mall, etc.) Both go through the same events A, B, C, D, E, and F.

For the adult, his experiences may gloss over (the brain's activity) events A, B, C, and D, since they are very familiar and have been thoroughly experienced.

For the child, all events A-->F are new or somewhat new and much is being processed. Therefore, in the same amount of time, the child is going through a lot more, mentally, than the adult. Because a lot is processed (and perhaps over a long period of time), it could feel like time is longer, since you're doing more within a given period?

Just a theory.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:52:01 AM
At 10/13/2014 9:58:50 AM, ben2974 wrote:

I've heard the following before, and generally like to stick with it:

When we're young (ages 0-9 or so), our brains are very busy capturing and analyzing new information. Everything we do and everything we see is so new, so there is a lot for the brain to do.

When we're old (ages 10+, since I think that the speed at which "time flies" remains relatively stable after some point), our brains recognize and have already analyzed a lot of what needs to be analyzed.

Example: Say an adult and a child go through the same experience (grocery shopping, or going to the mall, etc.) Both go through the same events A, B, C, D, E, and F.

For the adult, his experiences may gloss over (the brain's activity) events A, B, C, and D, since they are very familiar and have been thoroughly experienced.

For the child, all events A-->F are new or somewhat new and much is being processed. Therefore, in the same amount of time, the child is going through a lot more, mentally, than the adult. Because a lot is processed (and perhaps over a long period of time), it could feel like time is longer, since you're doing more within a given period?

Just a theory.

I like this theory alot. It seems like it doesn't deny my own though, and rather, can be compounded into it to better explain the phenomenon of "time flying" as we get older even better. I'm just curious if any respected theorists have already come to the same conclusion I have. Same for yours, I wonder if it's already been established somewhere.

I'd really like to see a database where you can type in a theory you have, and the search engine will scan the records for similar language and match your theory with one that is already established. That'd be an awesome website.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 6:05:33 AM
It is much more to do with time mattering more in everyday life rather than time itself going faster due to lifespan proportion.

Kids have adults to organize their routine for them and will beg to stay up late all the time, time is something forced onto them which they hate to pay attention to.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 12:04:19 PM
Does this theory already exist somewhere? If not, do you find it sound and worthy of being viewed as an acceptable answer?

Yes:
peaceseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 12:34:03 PM
At 10/13/2014 1:20:24 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

How?

Good question....my wife made that observation...but does not know why. :)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 2:04:39 PM

I've heard this theory before on a cracked.com article talking about the pitfalls of immortality.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 4:53:50 PM
At 10/13/2014 1:47:08 PM, Double_R wrote:

LMAO, omg, he literally gives the same example!! Okay, so this confirms that I am correct in thinking that is a contributing factor. Thank you so much for sharing, I'm subscribing to the channel as I type this.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 4:56:01 PM
At 10/14/2014 12:04:19 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Does this theory already exist somewhere? If not, do you find it sound and worthy of being viewed as an acceptable answer?

Yes:

Yes, I just watched the Vsauce channel explaining the same thing! Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it. Feels good to know I'm not the only one that thought of that, even if I'm a little late to the party, lol.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 4:57:15 PM
At 10/14/2014 12:34:03 PM, peaceseeker wrote:
At 10/13/2014 1:20:24 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

How?

Good question....my wife made that observation...but does not know why. :)

That's interesting, and totally understandable :)

Some other guys have shared a few videos in this thread that are really good. You should show them to your wife!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 4:59:21 PM
At 10/14/2014 2:04:39 PM, Wylted wrote:

I've heard this theory before on a cracked.com article talking about the pitfalls of immortality.

Lol, I need to start checking out that site some more. Everytime a friend shares their articles I enjoy them. Some of the other responders in this thread have shared some solid videos. I'd be interesting in reading the pitfalls of immortality article though if you can share the link.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 7:02:33 PM
At 10/14/2014 4:59:21 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 10/14/2014 2:04:39 PM, Wylted wrote:

Lol, I need to start checking out that site some more. Everytime a friend shares their articles I enjoy them. Some of the other responders in this thread have shared some solid videos. I'd be interesting in reading the pitfalls of immortality article though if you can share the link.

It's annoying sometimes because everybody there is liberal and comes from that angle but how funny they are make up for it
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 7:03:03 PM
At 10/14/2014 4:53:50 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 10/13/2014 1:47:08 PM, Double_R wrote:

LMAO, omg, he literally gives the same example!! Okay, so this confirms that I am correct in thinking that is a contributing factor. Thank you so much for sharing, I'm subscribing to the channel as I type this.

Yea, awesome channel.
computertooter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 12:42:25 AM
Okay, listen up all you young whipper snappers. I am going to explain why time seems to go by more quickly as you age. In order for this to work you need to do 2 things. First I want you to stand for 1 full minute. Just stand there doing nothing. Notice how long the minute seems to be? Next I would like for you to get 500 tealights and stack as many as you can in stacks of 5 in 1 minute. Notice how fast time seems to pass?

As we get older we have so much more occupying our time. I run a computer repair business now that I am 61 years old. When I was 18 years old I worked in a factory. I had fewer responsibilities. Time goes by faster because we are busier, not because we are slower, for crying out loud! Sheesh.
computertooter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 1:08:30 AM
I just remembered another saying - time flies when you are having fun! Retired people finally have the time to do what they want and not what they have to do. Perhaps time seems to go by faster simply because they are happier. Just something for you young ones to look forward to...