Jump to topic:

Strip away all of a person's senses.

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 9:39:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What would happen if a person were to lose their ability to feel, see, taste, smell, and hear? Would that person still feel like they were existing or would they just have a consciousness below that of a protozoa?

Discussion is encouraged.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 9:42:08 PM
At 10/16/2014 9:39:31 PM, SamStevens wrote:
What would happen if a person were to lose their ability to feel, see, taste, smell, and hear? Would that person still feel like they were existing or would they just have a consciousness below that of a protozoa?

I imagine they would only be with their thoughts.
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 9:48:52 PM

The answer may change a lot depending on one factor. Did they lose it? if so when? Or did they never had them to begin with?

Do you see the implications?
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:00:24 PM
At 10/16/2014 9:48:52 PM, VelCrow wrote:

The answer may change a lot depending on one factor. Did they lose it? if so when? Or did they never had them to begin with?

If they never had them to begin with, would they be more conscious than a protozoa?

If they lost them mid-life, would they still have some level of consciousness?

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:06:05 PM
At 10/16/2014 10:00:24 PM, SamStevens wrote:

If they never had them to begin with, would they be more conscious than a protozoa?

If they never had them to begin with I'd say they're not even humans and are not capable of thoughts at all.

If they lost them mid life than they could still think and have very rich lives inside of their own imagination.

Our thoughts are derived from our senses so to never have any sense is to never have any thoughts.
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:11:30 PM

Doubt it. Our mind evolves from external stimulus. Its like a seed with no water or sunlight. It just wont grow.

definitely yes. but they will go mad.
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:26:55 PM
At 10/16/2014 10:11:30 PM, VelCrow wrote:

Doubt it. Our mind evolves from external stimulus. Its like a seed with no water or sunlight. It just wont grow.

So they are effectively not experiencing anything but they are still physically alive?

definitely yes. but they will go mad.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:28:07 PM
Theists:

So since they are still alive, but not experiencing anything, are they with god, or just trapped in their own mind?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 6:53:19 AM

I doubt it. They would still have the ability to imagine, which apparently most animals lack. Senses are needed to be conscious about the exterior (or at least one of the ways to be conscious about the exterior), but consciousness also deals with being conscious about the interior, the self, etc. For those, senses are not needed.
user_name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:34:05 PM

Can they feel pain?
Best wishes,
user-name.
user_name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:34:31 PM
At 10/18/2014 10:21:26 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
They would have thoughts, and be consciously aware of those thoughts.

You think in sound. Deaf people think in images.
Best wishes,
user-name.
user_name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:35:39 PM
At 10/20/2014 6:53:19 AM, Otokage wrote:

I doubt it. They would still have the ability to imagine, which apparently most animals lack.

You cannot imagine without having any senses to simulate in the imaginary world.
Best wishes,
user-name.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:03:00 PM
At 10/21/2014 1:34:05 PM, user_name wrote:

Can they feel pain?

No, they are removed of their sense to feel any stimuli.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:13:20 PM

Sensory Deprivation is a popular form of torture. I imagine it would be similar to that... but constant.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Excript:
"Since I left Evin, I have not been able to sleep without sleeping pills. It is terrible. The loneliness never leaves you, long after you are "free." Every door that is closed on you ... This is why we call it "white torture." They get what they want without having to hit you. They know enough about you to control the information that you get: they can make you believe that the president has resigned, that they have your wife, that someone you trust has told them lies about you. You begin to break. And once you break, they have control. And then you begin to confess[16]"
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:19:49 PM
At 10/21/2014 1:35:39 PM, user_name wrote:
At 10/20/2014 6:53:19 AM, Otokage wrote:

I doubt it. They would still have the ability to imagine, which apparently most animals lack.

You cannot imagine without having any senses to simulate in the imaginary world.

I don't know if that's really true. But the OP stated "what would happen if a person were to lose...". So I supposed that the person in question had senses once, and therefore can imagine things.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:23:36 PM
Even if someone never had any perceptions, I still think someone could "sense" the neural firing patterns of their brain, but I'm not sure if such a person would be self-aware on the level of coherence with which we are familiar.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:27:54 PM
At 10/21/2014 4:13:20 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Sensory Deprivation is a popular form of torture. I imagine it would be similar to that... but constant.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Excript:
"Since I left Evin, I have not been able to sleep without sleeping pills. It is terrible. The loneliness never leaves you, long after you are "free." Every door that is closed on you ... This is why we call it "white torture." They get what they want without having to hit you. They know enough about you to control the information that you get: they can make you believe that the president has resigned, that they have your wife, that someone you trust has told them lies about you. You begin to break. And once you break, they have control. And then you begin to confess[16]"

That seems like a pretty good form of torture for criminals.