Jump to topic:

What is "nothing"?

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:35:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Many people try and understand how creation ex nihilo could be possible. The problem is, do we even know what "nothing" is? Is it possible for "nothing" to even exist?

So, to all the experts on nothing, what is nothing?

In my opinion, I agree with Lawrence Krauss. Nothing is the absence of something. This means that we need to understand what something is in order to understand what nothing is.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:43:13 PM
At 10/21/2014 4:35:24 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Many people try and understand how creation ex nihilo could be possible. The problem is, do we even know what "nothing" is? Is it possible for "nothing" to even exist?

In my opinion, I agree with Lawrence Krauss. Nothing is the absence of something. This means that we need to understand what something is in order to understand what nothing is.

The absence of something amounts to constraint (negation), which is something. Nothingness is the complete lack of information and constraint. In other words, nothingness is undefined.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:45:08 PM
At 10/21/2014 4:43:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

The absence of something amounts to constraint (negation), which is something. Nothingness is the complete lack of information and constraint. In other words, nothingness is undefined.

But, if nothing in undefined, then how can anyone support or refute creation ex nihilo?
If nothing is undefined, then can nothing exist?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 4:50:21 PM
At 10/21/2014 4:45:08 PM, SNP1 wrote:

But, if nothing in undefined, then how can anyone support or refute creation ex nihilo?

Since nothingness is undefined, there is nothing to prevent the potential of a self-actualizing universe from self-actualizing. The constraint required would amount to something.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:44:06 PM
At 10/21/2014 4:50:21 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Since nothingness is undefined, there is nothing to prevent the potential of a self-actualizing universe from self-actualizing. The constraint required would amount to something.

There is nothing to constrain, hence it is nothingness. Derp. If there were something to constrain it would assume somethingness in nothingness, but this is just a contradiction.
Nolite Timere
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:49:54 PM
At 10/21/2014 9:44:06 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

There is nothing to constrain, hence it is nothingness. Derp. If there were something to constrain it would assume somethingness in nothingness, but this is just a contradiction.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:53:21 PM
At 10/21/2014 9:49:54 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Is self-actualization could arise from nothingness, it would presume that nothingness really isn't nothing nothingness at all. Nothingness cannot have any potential or actuality of any sort. The ability to self-actualize is a potentiality in nothingness according to you, but this arises a contradiction since nothingness cannot posses any sort of potentiality.

...I'm actually not sure if I made that any clearer.
Nolite Timere
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:55:16 PM
At 10/21/2014 9:53:21 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Is self-actualization could arise from nothingness, it would presume that nothingness really isn't nothing nothingness at all. Nothingness cannot have any potential or actuality of any sort. The ability to self-actualize is a potentiality in nothingness according to you, but this arises a contradiction since nothingness cannot posses any sort of potentiality.

But that implies that it possesses constraint/ the ability to preclude contradiction.

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:58:38 PM
At 10/21/2014 9:55:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

But that implies that it possesses constraint/ the ability to preclude contradiction.

As if precluding contradiction is an active force? Contradiction is simply meaningless jargon since it does not reflect upon reality in anyway. Hence, it is a contradiction. Nothingness is still reality; it just doesn't posses any potentiality or actuality.

Nolite Timere
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:07:59 PM
At 10/21/2014 9:58:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:55:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

As if precluding contradiction is an active force? Contradiction is simply meaningless jargon since it does not reflect upon reality in anyway. Hence, it is a contradiction. Nothingness is still reality; it just doesn't posses any potentiality or actuality.

Precluding contradiction requires an existential (definitive) basis which nothingness obviously lacks. And you didn't address "But that implies that it possesses constraint". If nothingness is truly nothing, then there is no constraint and thus unlimited potential. The potential didn't "come from anywhere", it's merely a logical consequence of 0 constraint. The only potential which exists is reality's own potential (and there's nothing to prevent this potential from self-realizing).

mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:47:28 PM
what is nothing?

it's not anything.

don't worry too much about it... actually my calling it an "it" is a misnomer isn't it.

- - -

I suppose I should just say:

Don't worry :P
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 10:04:42 AM

If you're interested in a more in-depth explanation, read this:http://web.archive.org...
user_name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:08:00 PM

Nothing is something the the five senses and our knowledge cannot identify the existence of.
Best wishes,
user-name.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:36:28 PM

If nothing is the absence of something, what happens when there is something else? Then there is no more nothing? Isn't there always something else? Isn't nothing the absence of everything and anything, not simply the absence of something which could be one thing that is nothing while something else is something, and there is only at least one thing, and never nothing? Does it all add up to zero, or does it all add up to on infinite number of something?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:54:12 PM
In absolute zero, the temperature measures something like -460 degrees celcius. (I forget the exact number, easy to find on the web). This would be the temperature of total absence of heat, total absense of anyting. Nothing present at one spot would be absolute zero. Why is it that we can determine the temperature of nothing, but we cannot determine the temperature of an absolute for heat which cannot go any higher? There is no apparent end to the temperature heat can potetntially reach, but nothing can be measured at absolute zero. And then, why is it impossible to find or acheive absolute zero in phyics or science? Does it have something to do with entropy, the tendency of something to spread out into space where there is nearly nothing, but something is there that is preventing absolute zero from being measurable? Does the fact that all systems break down mean the all turn into nothing evventually, or will something always be there? If you fell into a container full of liquid nithrogen and freeze like a rock, wouuld I then be nothing? If I fall into a fire,, would I be something or would I be something else or would i be smoke particles or would I be nothing at all? Are we nothng or are we something? or are we somehing else? Does anybody really know what we are? Does it matter if we know or not? Can anybody tell me? Does life have any meaning at all, since apparently it all adds up to who knows what?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 4:03:09 PM

"'Nothing' is what rocks dream about." ~popularly attributed to Aristotle, although I've never been able to find where Aristotle said that and it may be a summary of Aristotle's thought on the subject rather than a direct quote.

Oh wait. You were talking about experts. Sorry.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 4:07:36 PM
At 10/22/2014 2:36:28 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

If nothing is the absence of something, what happens when there is something else? Then there is no more nothing? Isn't there always something else? Isn't nothing the absence of everything and anything, not simply the absence of something which could be one thing that is nothing while something else is something, and there is only at least one thing, and never nothing? Does it all add up to zero, or does it all add up to on infinite number of something?

As long as it's true that "Something exists," it is false that "Nothing exists." But that doesn't mean "nothing" can't be used meaningfully in a world where many things exists. All of these are meaningful statements.

Nothing is better than pizza.

Nothing can cause the reversal of a Custer decision.

There is nothing that rocks dream about.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:06:11 PM
At 10/22/2014 4:07:36 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 10/22/2014 2:36:28 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

As long as it's true that "Something exists," it is false that "Nothing exists." But that doesn't mean "nothing" can't be used meaningfully in a world where many things exists. All of these are meaningful statements.

Nothing is better than pizza.

Nothing can cause the reversal of a Custer decision.

There is nothing that rocks dream about.

So why did I suddenly feel hungry when Ithought about pizza? And I have do disagree with "nothing is better than pizza" . I would much rather have pizza than nothing now. Pizza is much better than nothing when you are hungry.

If nothing can be used meaningfully, then it is not nothing, it is something that can be used meaningfully.

I have to agree with you on the Custer decisions and the dreams of rocks. The Custer decisions are history and cannot be changed. Everything you do, say, think, or imagine is a historical fact that you did it or said it, and you can't change history. You can lie about history, but you cannot change it.

The comment about the dreams of a rock is rock solid logic. Very good. In that case, I would have to say the "nothing' is absolutely nothing.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:12:24 AM
See in reality, there should be no responses. So this thread is an epic failure.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:30:13 AM
At 10/26/2014 10:12:24 AM, sadolite wrote:
See in reality, there should be no responses. So this thread is an epic failure.

Does a vacuum exist?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:20:05 PM

This implies that you have some understanding of "nothingness" (otherwise, it's merely an assumption). So what about nothingness makes this so?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 1:33:55 PM
At 10/26/2014 12:20:05 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This implies that you have some understanding of "nothingness" (otherwise, it's merely an assumption). So what about nothingness makes this so?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 1:34:24 PM
At 10/26/2014 10:30:13 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Does a vacuum exist?

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 1:41:20 PM
At 10/26/2014 1:33:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

What?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 1:54:39 PM
At 10/26/2014 1:34:24 PM, sadolite wrote:

Does a vacuum exist?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 3:00:57 PM
At 10/26/2014 1:54:39 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Does a vacuum exist?

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 3:01:23 PM
At 10/26/2014 1:41:20 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/26/2014 1:33:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

What?

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 4:41:27 PM
At 10/26/2014 3:00:57 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/26/2014 1:54:39 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Does a vacuum exist?
Zeno2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:05:14 PM
Zeno here again,

Well in my opinion "nothing" is complete oblivion. This means, let's say in the context of one apple, that there is no trace of the apple, the apple's seeds, the apples nutrients, the tree that the apple came from, the water in the apple, the sugar in the apple, and pretty much everything that was related to or had contact with that apple. That is when the apple becomes "nothing". When one cannot find a single clue about that apple, whether it be DNA or it's bacteria, everything about that apple is erased. That is "nothing". This can be applied to humans too. When no records of their ancestors, family, friends, education, achievements, bones, feces, anything cannot be found, then that human is "nothing" to this world. He/She had their impact on the world completely removed from the world and the memories of other beings. If, let's say Justin Beiber in the next 100 years, had all of his music, his records (birth certificate, death certificate), his family's records, his friends records, his pictures, and his bones erased, or destroyed then he is technically "nothing" to the world. But a human being, can only be completely obliterated from this world if they are completely gone from the memories of the current generation. That is when a human being can finally become "nothing". Even someone dead is "something", but a man forgotten is "nothing".
These are the words of Zeno.