Jump to topic:

Is there a meaning to life?

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 5:59:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What if after all this time, life was actually meaningless? And that there is no meaning to life at all? I know Atheist don't believe in a god and all but do they believe in a meaning to life?

How would you feel if you found out for sure that the answer 42 was wrong and that life is meaningless?
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 6:16:11 AM
At 10/27/2014 5:59:12 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
What if after all this time, life was actually meaningless? And that there is no meaning to life at all? I know Atheist don't believe in a god and all but do they believe in a meaning to life?

How would you feel if you found out for sure that the answer 42 was wrong and that life is meaningless?

Life is meaningless, or at least objectively it is; subjectively, life's meaning is as one wills. My meaning of life is to live a moral life for the sake of anthropological development of the human race.
praise the lord Chin Chin
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 7:11:20 AM
At 10/27/2014 6:16:11 AM, 18Karl wrote:

Life is meaningless, or at least objectively it is; subjectively, life's meaning is as one wills. My meaning of life is to live a moral life for the sake of anthropological development of the human race.

I agree. Interesting perspective. Thanks for the reply.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 8:01:26 AM

I spent years searching for the meaning of life, and when I found the answer, I didn't like it. So now I ponder more important questions.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 8:38:33 AM
At 10/27/2014 8:01:26 AM, Envisage wrote:

I spent years searching for the meaning of life, and when I found the answer, I didn't like it. So now I ponder more important questions.

Important is what you like to be important?
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 8:49:15 AM
At 10/27/2014 8:38:33 AM, Dazz wrote:

I regard meaningless questions as unimportant. That is the answer to the question of "What is the meaning if life", the question is a meaningless one.
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 8:57:15 AM

Give me a synopsis of your 42 y-o inquiry.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 9:21:13 AM
At 10/27/2014 8:57:15 AM, 18Karl wrote:

I am not quite 42 :-p. Unless we include my 16 year trip at light speed towards alpha centauri...
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 9:24:54 AM
At 10/27/2014 9:21:13 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 10/27/2014 8:57:15 AM, 18Karl wrote:

I am not quite 42 :-p. Unless we include my 16 year trip at light speed towards alpha centauri...

Synopsis?
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 9:33:33 AM
At 10/27/2014 8:49:15 AM, Envisage wrote:

I regard meaningless questions as unimportant. That is the answer to the question of "What is the meaning if life", the question is a meaningless one.

The discovery was similar for me, but more positive. I found one day that I didn't care why I had a life. I found that the why didn't matter, not when life was this good. There was no need to ask why.
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 10:02:19 AM
What I have been noticing is that nowhere do we normally see replication. At some point the earth is said to have matter and energy in a system where it began replicating itself all of a sudden. I find that whole claim quite extraordinary, how and why life should need to do that and continue to the point of self reflection makes me think intent, no two ways about it. Intent for what, well far as I can tell life is striving to replicate and thus cheating death. The reason to intend for something to exist is to have love and desire and therefore life is given inherent value, and death is to be overcome, even billions of years later.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 1:43:09 PM

Meaningless or unimportant questions still have answers to them. And what was the answer that you found and didn't like?
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 2:05:25 PM
At 10/27/2014 1:43:09 PM, Dazz wrote:

Meaningless or unimportant questions still have answers to them.

What is the colour of jealousy?

And what was the answer that you found and didn't like?

That it was a meaningless question...
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 2:24:26 PM
At 10/27/2014 2:05:25 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 10/27/2014 1:43:09 PM, Dazz wrote:

Meaningless or unimportant questions still have answers to them.

What is the colour of jealousy?
Let me rephrase question: What is essence of jealousy or life?

And what was the answer that you found and didn't like?

That it was a meaningless question...
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 3:34:40 PM
At 10/27/2014 6:16:11 AM, 18Karl wrote:

I think that objectively "survival of the species" is at least one meaningful aspect for a / any living thing. This is not to say that each and every individual is driven to reproduce and parent a subsequent generation - but generally speaking (and objectively) it is at least one meaningful purpose for just about any living thing.

Isn't it?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 5:18:55 PM
Before attempting to answer this question, I think it's important that we address a preliminary question: could life have meaning?

I think in order for life to have objective meaning, it must be objectively meaningful according to reality as a whole. Otherwise, its "objectivity" could be relativized to a partial context and wouldn't be "objective". In the case of reality as a whole, no real distinction can be made between subjective and objective i.e., "according to reality" is synonymous with "real" or "objective". Thus, the criteria by which reality chooses one future over another would constitute objective morality.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 8:25:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago

The meaning of life is to instill or teach the human soul the wisdom to deal with inherent thoughts of evil while in their spiritual form so as to insure that none will defy God, as Satan has, by thinking one is better than God. Because duality is contingent on existence there had to be a way for all souls to experience what it is like without God so when being with God we will appreciate it with a higher sense of wisdom and knowledge of evil will no longer be hindrance to our spirit or minds or thinking or our behavior.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:35:53 PM
The meaning of life is happiness. Everything in the universe--and I do mean EVERYTHING!--pursues personal happiness. It's what makes things tick, it's what regulates the laws of physics at the most fundamental level. The problem, however, is that the persistent aim to be constantly happy isn't always a good thing for intelligent life. This driving factor is what contributes to many of the world's human ills. And so humans must learn in the variety of ways that they can that seeking constant gratification is not always a good thing!
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:12:04 AM
At 12/20/2014 10:35:53 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
The meaning of life is happiness. Everything in the universe--and I do mean EVERYTHING!--pursues personal happiness. It's what makes things tick, it's what regulates the laws of physics at the most fundamental level. The problem, however, is that the persistent aim to be constantly happy isn't always a good thing for intelligent life. This driving factor is what contributes to many of the world's human ills. And so humans must learn in the variety of ways that they can that seeking constant gratification is not always a good thing!

So learning that seeking self gratification causes the ills of humanity is the meaning to life. But wouldn't learning this be self gratifying?
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 2:27:24 PM
Yes, there is a rudimentary meaning to all of physics and natural law: this is to seek out pleasure/gratification/comfort. This is what drives everything in the universe to act. At least that's my philosophical belief.

We biological beings are driven by this same aim--to be gratified. The problem is that pursuing gratification isn't always beneficial to us, since we also value our lives and want to continue to live them.

As a result, a natural conflict develops. We want to be constantly gratified, but often gratification can injure us or our long-term prospect toward living. In other words, the driving forces with in us also kill us.

This actually makes sense when you think of the larger universe to. I, for example, believe that the universe is trying to achieve homogeneity, not just with the various regions within it, but also with what is external to it, but as it achieves this, energy becomes more diffuse and so different systems within it can no longer function like they use to.

The second law of thermodynamics indicates, as scientists well know and have written about in much detail already, that eventually biological life will be impossible in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

So you might say that the driving force behind the cosmos is also causing it to decay, because of increased energy distribution. As this happens, processes in the universe become less capable of performing work.
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 2:49:31 PM

There is no such thing as 'meaning' . Meaning is a human construct it only exists as a concept . It's humans who give meaning to the world because without us the concept wouldn't even exist . The meaning of life is whatever you want it to be and whatever you make it for yourself.
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
Shehrozalam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 4:39:34 PM

That really depends on how you define meaning.
For me the meaning of life is the driving force that gets you going.
So, considering that every voluntary action has a motivation, there is meaning to your actions.
Hence, the meaning of your life can be derived from several small reasons. Or a huge single reason.
But looking at it from another perspective, i believe everything in this universe is connected, from our actions to karma, from lielfeless things to an animal, everything. Hence everything serves its purpose as a part of a bigger narrative. Some believe our purpose should be to find our part in the story, while others believe they should go with the flow as the story unravels. Either ways, both live, and both die, both experience happiness and sadness, joy and pain, love and lust and several things.
If I didnt like the purpose of my life, i would go on to find another one till im satisfied or dead.