Jump to topic:

Empiricists vs. Rationalists

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 11:00:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hypothetically speaking, if you were alive before Kant published his Critique of Pure Reason, which side would you choose?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 12:27:18 PM
At 10/28/2014 11:00:05 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, if you were alive before Kant published his Critique of Pure Reason, which side would you choose?

I choose epistemological anarchism.
praise the lord Chin Chin
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 12:55:16 PM

I would support an interplay between the two. Since truth is a mathematical concept, empiricism is fundamentally inadequate. Rationalism provides empiricism with a logical framework.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:03:23 PM
At 10/28/2014 12:27:18 PM, 18Karl wrote:

I choose epistemological anarchism.

Lol, that's amusing but an invalid response. I don't believe that was a philosophy at the time supported by either camp.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:05:35 PM
At 10/28/2014 12:55:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I would support an interplay between the two. Since truth is a mathematical concept, empiricism is fundamentally inadequate. Rationalism provides empiricism with a logical framework.

Would you have thought to marry the two at the time though? Seems like you would have beaten Kant to the punch had you been alive.

Look at this question as if you could only choose one side or the other. Which would you have favored? It seems like you would have been in the Rationalist camp.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 8:54:59 PM

I agree with Dylancatlow. It's hard to choose one over the other. In the end, rationalist knowledge comes from reason, which, if done correctly, must be true. Empiricism is based off of the senses, which is fallible (although human reason is inevitably fallible as well). If pushed, I'd have to go with rationalism, but just because of sensual fallibility.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 12:09:34 AM
At 10/28/2014 8:54:59 PM, Subutai wrote:

I agree with Dylancatlow. It's hard to choose one over the other. In the end, rationalist knowledge comes from reason, which, if done correctly, must be true. Empiricism is based off of the senses, which is fallible (although human reason is inevitably fallible as well). If pushed, I'd have to go with rationalism, but just because of sensual fallibility.

That's a well-reasoned response :) Thanks for sharing your opinion!
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:00:46 AM

I agree with Dylancatlow. It's hard to choose one over the other. In the end, rationalist knowledge comes from reason, which, if done correctly, must be true.

Sure, if the premises are true, the conclusion is true, but how does one know for certain that the premises are true? It seems like rationalism runs into the same problems that empiricism does.

Empiricism is based off of the senses, which is fallible (although human reason is inevitably fallible as well). If pushed, I'd have to go with rationalism, but just because of sensual fallibility.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:01:20 AM

Probably rationalism, just because empiricism seems absurd to me.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:06:47 AM
At 10/29/2014 8:00:46 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I agree with Dylancatlow. It's hard to choose one over the other. In the end, rationalist knowledge comes from reason, which, if done correctly, must be true.

Sure, if the premises are true, the conclusion is true, but how does one know for certain that the premises are true? It seems like rationalism runs into the same problems that empiricism does.

If we use deductive logic, then all conclusions would be based off of a number of self-evident axioms. And if the premises are true and the logic sound, the conclusion has to be true.
Empiricism is based off of the senses, which is fallible (although human reason is inevitably fallible as well). If pushed, I'd have to go with rationalism, but just because of sensual fallibility.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:08:58 AM
At 10/29/2014 8:06:47 AM, Subutai wrote:

If we use deductive logic, then all conclusions would be based off of a number of self-evident axioms. And if the premises are true and the logic sound, the conclusion has to be true.

How far can you get with that? Also, who says what is a self-evident axiom?

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:43:14 AM
At 10/29/2014 8:01:20 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

That's interesting. Does empiricism seem absurd due to sensual fallibility or for another reason?

So far, it seems safe to say that DDO would generally prefer the rationalist camp.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:00:20 AM
At 10/29/2014 10:43:14 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 10/29/2014 8:01:20 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

That's interesting. Does empiricism seem absurd due to sensual fallibility or for another reason?

Because it's really impossible to know if your senses are working. And in addition to that, it would seem that there some things like numbers, logical reasoning, etc. that do not come from senses.

However, while I think that the knowledge we know which does not come through our senses is more fundamental and certain, it really isn't complete without taking into account the knowledge we do get from our senses.

So far, it seems safe to say that DDO would generally prefer the rationalist camp.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:13:04 AM
At 10/28/2014 5:05:35 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 10/28/2014 12:55:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Would you have thought to marry the two at the time though? Seems like you would have beaten Kant to the punch had you been alive.

Look at this question as if you could only choose one side or the other. Which would you have favored? It seems like you would have been in the Rationalist camp.

I'm primarily a rationalist, because again, truth is ultimately a mathematical concept. Logic and reason determine the form that empirical truth must assume.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:15:09 AM
In the words of Chris Langan:

In theoretically (cognitively) connecting perceptual reality in an explanatory causal network, one can't always progress by short obvious steps; sometimes one must plunge into an ocean of non-testability in order to come up with a superior testable description on the far shore (think of this kind of insight as analogous to irreducible complexity, but often followed by a simplificative "refolding stage"). In other words, it is not always easy to distinguish (empirically fruitful) science from nonscience as science progresses; one must rely on logic and mathematics in the "blind spots" between islands of perceptibility.
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 3:32:10 PM
I tend do be more a rationalist, there are times to speculate but not to the level of being blindly optimistic, so I can understand the empiricists need to be grounded in something more than just logic and reason. We make the judgments that we can with what we know and has allowed us to make predictions on the reality we expect to find with great accuracy and precision. Only with the knowledge we have could we ever even know what we are looking for and where to look.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:41:58 PM
At 10/29/2014 8:08:58 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

That depends on your definition of "self-evident". But if your going to ask that, well then there goes logic...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:04:01 AM
At 10/29/2014 10:41:58 PM, Subutai wrote:

That depends on your definition of "self-evident". But if your going to ask that, well then there goes logic...

Well some people think the PSR is self-evident, and other don't even believe in the law of non contradiction...

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 8:08:31 AM

Probably, the side I choose now... neither. Sorry. I'm not a camper.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:08:31 AM
At 10/30/2014 12:04:01 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Something "self-evident" is analytically "true" in the same sense that "truth" is true. In other words, it's an extension of truth.

Well some people think the PSR is self-evident, and other don't even believe in the law of non contradiction...

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:09:31 AM
At 10/30/2014 10:08:31 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Something "self-evident" is analytically "true" in the same sense that "truth" is true. In other words, it's an extension of truth.

Alright. So what statements are self-evident?

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:11:01 AM
At 10/30/2014 10:09:31 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

All logical tautologies.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:12:25 AM
At 10/30/2014 10:11:01 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

All logical tautologies.

So how far can you get with that?

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:15:42 AM
At 10/30/2014 10:12:25 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 10/30/2014 10:11:01 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

All logical tautologies.

So how far can you get with that?

Farther than you'd think, mainly due to the fact that reality is tautologically self-contained and therefore must possess certain characteristics as a condition of its self-contained existence.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:46:46 AM
At 10/30/2014 8:08:31 AM, s-anthony wrote:

So what would have been the philosophy you agreed with if alive during that time?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:47:55 AM
At 10/30/2014 10:46:46 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

So what would have been the philosophy you agreed with if alive during that time?

Probably Plato's.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:07:08 PM
At 10/30/2014 10:46:46 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

My own. From here, I take a little; and from there, I take a little; and, I create myself. I am one, but I am many.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:25:40 PM
The skeptical Empiricism of Hume with pragmatic justifications as John Dewey explained :P
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:26:16 PM
At 10/30/2014 12:25:40 PM, mortsdor wrote:
The skeptical Empiricism of Hume with pragmatic justifications as John Dewey explained :P

Which is the same as what I would choose today.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 1:14:45 PM

Neither.