Define Belief.

Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 6:25:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
First give a definition.
The make a connection of belief with truth and knowledge.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Rok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 7:01:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/29/2014 6:25:10 AM, Dazz wrote:
First give a definition.
The make a connection of belief with truth and knowledge.

Belief would be one's acceptance of something as the truth. I can believe in whatever I want; however, that does not make it true (objectively). Knowledge, I would say, is information you've obtained through study/experience. I can believe in something that is false, meaning I have knowledge of something untrue. So knowledge isn't limited to the truth.

The truth, generally, would be something that can be observed by many people who come to a similar conclusion/result about it. Most people are able to answer what 2+2 is equal to so we can say that the answer is true. But sometimes the majority may believe in falsehoods. I assume the best definition for truth is: in accordance with fact.

People once believed the Earth was flat and there was no reason they shouldn't have. The Earth is so large compared to we humans that we can't tell that it's actually a sphere. But when it was common thought no one assumed that everyone was wrong- at least for a while. Though we were wrong, many people believed the notion of the Earth being flat to be true. Most people believe they know things we in reality, the only thing we can know is that we believe things.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -Socrates