Jump to topic:

does darkness exist?!

Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:26:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think no, because it is absence of light. what does the science tell about it? what is philosophical point?!

p.s: do not conclude that I will use it for the existence of god. I am not believer, I just wanna know. I do not support that Einstein's alleged story about proving the existence of god. that has discrepencies.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:01:39 AM
At 10/30/2014 9:26:24 AM, Artur wrote:
I think no, because it is absence of light. what does the science tell about it? what is philosophical point?!

p.s: do not conclude that I will use it for the existence of god. I am not believer, I just wanna know. I do not support that Einstein's alleged story about proving the existence of god. that has discrepencies.

The absence of light is called darkness. Thus since the absence of light exists, darkness exists..
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 3:11:11 AM
The absence of light is called darkness. Thus since the absence of light exists, darkness exists..

do you know phenomenology?! darkness is said in phenomenology, IMO. there is no something like darkness, it is just absence of light.

we can have light, in order to have light we need to turn something on, switch something on. but can we have darkness?what do we need to do? and how?

we need to destroy light, that is why there is something like darkness. all we have is the lack of light.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 9:19:08 AM
At 10/31/2014 3:11:11 AM, Artur wrote:

do you know phenomenology?! darkness is said in phenomenology, IMO. there is no something like darkness, it is just absence of light.

we can have light, in order to have light we need to turn something on, switch something on. but can we have darkness?what do we need to do? and how?

we need to destroy light, that is why there is something like darkness. all we have is the lack of light.

do you know semantics?! darkness is said in semantics; IMO. there is something like darkness, it is the absence of light.

we can have light, in order to have light we need to turn something on, switch something on. but we can have darkness. we just need to remove the light. by switching the something off.

we need to remove light, that is why there is something like darkness. darkness is the absence of light.
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 10:30:11 AM
At 10/31/2014 9:19:08 AM, VelCrow wrote:
At 10/31/2014 3:11:11 AM, Artur wrote:

do you know semantics?! darkness is said in semantics; IMO. there is something like darkness, it is the absence of light.

we can have light, in order to have light we need to turn something on, switch something on. but we can have darkness. we just need to remove the light. by switching the something off.

we need to remove light, that is why there is something like darkness. darkness is the absence of light.

well tried. But illogical.

We say "sunrise" but the does not rise, this is the way we call it phenomenologically.

Darkness is the same, darkness does not exist, it is just absence of light. Phenomenologically, we call it darkness.

Light is caused to exist but darkness is not caused to exist. We destroy the light and the result is: absence of light, not darkness.

How can we have light? By switching the light on in a room. Or with a sun, with a lamb, with fire.

Can we have darkness by using something? As far as I know, NO. We destroy light, then the result is darkness. We cant have darkness, we can destroy the light. And the result is: absence of light.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 12:46:14 PM
At 10/30/2014 9:26:24 AM, Artur wrote:

No it doesn't. Darkness is not actually even the absence of light. There can be much light and there still be what we call darkness. Darkness is what we call the situation where WE cannot see. A room full of intense infra red light would still be darkness to us.

Darkness, rather than being a description of the real world, is really a comment about what we are experiencing in our heads. The real world is always full of light, and has been so since the Big Bang.

Just like evil, darkness is not a thing, it isn't created, and it isn't real. Its a word we cooked up to describe a sensory experience.

Imagine what the concept of "darkness" would mean to a being who could not detect any spectrum of light.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 3:06:19 PM
Does the concept exist? Then darkness exists.

Based on your logic, you can argue that light doesn't exist, and that there is only electromagnetic waves.