Ethical Dilemma

medv4380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 3:48:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have a bit of a problem.

I have come in possession of proof, and sound logical reasoning that explains a social issue this is important to many people. This information if acted on rationally could improve the quality of life for many people, but the lives of the people involved are not in eminent threat of life, and death.

However, bringing this to light has a potential to harm my family. The information is of the nature that it could make many political enemies. I could easily find myself dragged into a spot light I'd rather avoid if the information was taken seriously.

Furthermore, in a worst case scenario my employer could be harmed. Association with me could cause them to loose work, or potential work. This could harm the lively hood of a hundred or more. A best case alternative would involve me leaving my job to save theirs, but even that isn't a guarantee.

On the other side this involves societal issues that we've only been grasping at straws at, and haven't made any real progress on the issue. This would give the incite needed to properly address the issues. There is a possibility that the negatives wouldn't occur at all, and it could always be ignored.

My fathers advice is to do nothing. The risk is too high, and too volatile. The data is sound, but politics would destroy it, and me.

What would you do?
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 6:50:09 AM
At 11/12/2014 3:48:19 PM, medv4380 wrote:
I have a bit of a problem.

I have come in possession of proof, and sound logical reasoning that explains a social issue this is important to many people. This information if acted on rationally could improve the quality of life for many people, but the lives of the people involved are not in eminent threat of life, and death.

However, bringing this to light has a potential to harm my family. The information is of the nature that it could make many political enemies. I could easily find myself dragged into a spot light I'd rather avoid if the information was taken seriously.

Furthermore, in a worst case scenario my employer could be harmed. Association with me could cause them to loose work, or potential work. This could harm the lively hood of a hundred or more. A best case alternative would involve me leaving my job to save theirs, but even that isn't a guarantee.

On the other side this involves societal issues that we've only been grasping at straws at, and haven't made any real progress on the issue. This would give the incite needed to properly address the issues. There is a possibility that the negatives wouldn't occur at all, and it could always be ignored.

My fathers advice is to do nothing. The risk is too high, and too volatile. The data is sound, but politics would destroy it, and me.

What would you do?

If the politicians would destroy you, why do you think they would implement your idea?
medv4380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 10:17:37 AM
At 11/13/2014 6:50:09 AM, s-anthony wrote:
If the politicians would destroy you, why do you think they would implement your idea?
It's not actually an idea, or something that by itself could be implemented. It's actually a point of fact that's been overlooked.

For example. Lets say you go to the doctor. His diagnosis is that you're dying, and he doesn't know why. It could be any number of things so he gives you a couple of options of what it might be to try to see if it fixes it.

That is were we are now with this issue. My point of fact would change the diagnosis from an unknown to a known cause. If I were to extend the example lets say the Doctor says that your leg has a damaged artery that if not dealt with would kill you. From there you and the doctor could decide if cutting off the leg, treating the artery, or some medication would be the best option.

I also wouldn't need to rely on politicians to fix the problem. As long as the people affected by the issue are aware of the actual cause they could attempt to fix it themselves. However, this wouldn't keep me out of danger of a political spot light. Politicians would be the most likely source of every issue in bringing the fact to light.