Jump to topic:

Psychology vs Philosophy

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 5:11:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Which subject would you consider to be superior or personally find more interesting or useful?

I find I love Philosophy more as a hobby. I find thinking to be enjoyable. I like Psychology because it's more based on facts and experiments, but there's still room for critical thinking. I think both are useful and can go well together. But if you could only learn one of these for the rest of your life, which would you pick?
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 12:34:08 PM
At 11/21/2014 5:11:03 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Which subject would you consider to be superior or personally find more interesting or useful?

I find I love Philosophy more as a hobby. I find thinking to be enjoyable. I like Psychology because it's more based on facts and experiments, but there's still room for critical thinking. I think both are useful and can go well together. But if you could only learn one of these for the rest of your life, which would you pick?
Firstly I would ask, there must be something related so as they both are always compared. Though Philosophy is interesting but it seems to more like a contention that is just to produce counter ideas. I've never encountered a person who really can explain the domain of Philosophy, nor I've seen any development through it. On contrast, psychology helped a lot in health sciences. So I may be missing the core of Philosophy, but vote goes to Psychology at least until now.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 10:45:18 PM
At 11/21/2014 12:34:08 PM, Dazz wrote:

Firstly I would ask, there must be something related so as they both are always compared. Though Philosophy is interesting but it seems to more like a contention that is just to produce counter ideas. I've never encountered a person who really can explain the domain of Philosophy, nor I've seen any development through it. On contrast, psychology helped a lot in health sciences. So I may be missing the core of Philosophy, but vote goes to Psychology at least until now.

I have to agree on that. Psychology seems to be more beneficial.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 6:03:48 AM

Philosophy.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 6:50:50 AM
At 11/22/2014 6:03:48 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

Philosophy.

Just because, or is there a reason?
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 6:56:36 AM

I would either pick Philochology or Psysophy.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 8:07:56 AM
At 11/22/2014 6:56:36 AM, Tweka wrote:

Which do you prefer?
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 8:50:39 AM
At 11/22/2014 8:07:56 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 11/22/2014 6:56:36 AM, Tweka wrote:

Which do you prefer?

I prefer philo followed by pys.
Psychology is more to understanding personality, mind, behaviours or so. It is more to human. It is an important thing for you to understand why you are different or others are different from you.
Philosophy whereas is to answer things that which science can't answer like what is life, god and so on. When the answers are found, then they will go to science.
No doubt, they all are great. I would love philosophy more than science. Because, they are interesting things to think of. Science is the discoveries of new things. So, it would be great to understand how nature works.

They both are great to me. I was just trolling you at my very first post on this thread. Sorry for that. Hope you can see the sincerity in this post.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 12:56:45 PM
At 11/22/2014 6:50:50 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 11/22/2014 6:03:48 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

Philosophy.

Just because, or is there a reason?

I bolded the reason, I personally find it more interesting, I guess I'm a bigger picture guy, always looking for a more comprehensive point of view and psychology has a rather narrow point of view.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 1:18:41 PM
Plus, if you're gonna deep dive into Psychology, you're gonna have to deal with Freud, and let's face it, he was downright creepy.

I'm sure the reason he invented psychoanalysis is because he so desperately needed it, if he hadn't invented it, I'm sure somebody who knew him would have.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:19:08 PM
At 11/22/2014 1:18:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
Plus, if you're gonna deep dive into Psychology, you're gonna have to deal with Freud, and let's face it, he was downright creepy.

I'm sure the reason he invented psychoanalysis is because he so desperately needed it, if he hadn't invented it, I'm sure somebody who knew him would have.

What's wrong with Freud or Psychology?
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:19:36 PM
At 11/23/2014 12:19:08 PM, Dazz wrote:

I'd answer if this was really a question, but it really just means you want to have sex with your mother.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 3:15:57 AM
At 11/23/2014 4:19:36 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

I'd answer if this was really a question, but it really just means you want to have sex with your mother.

I don't know about Freud, so I asked. "He was creepy" isn't a reasoning but the way you've responded is a reasoning that has explained me very well what your psychic is.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 7:02:10 AM
At 11/24/2014 3:15:57 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:19:36 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

I don't know about Freud, so I asked. "He was creepy" isn't a reasoning but the way you've responded is a reasoning that has explained me very well what your psychic is.

OK, I guess if you know nothing about Freud it's not a very funny reply.

The thing that was so creepy about Freud is that he interpreted almost everything in a sexual and creepy way, with a particular emphasis on wanting to have sex with your parent. Nursing was a highly sexual act for both mother and child, male children are practically born wanting to have sex with their mother, female children with their father. Male children want to kill, or at least castrate their father out of jealousy, fathers unconsciously want to castrate their male children, and everyone's lives are strongly influenced by the unconscious fear of castration, which all comes from wanting to have sex with your mother. Potty training was sexual, babies get a sexual thrill out of the feeling of waste against their bowels, there was a sense of loss when they go, they resent their parents because they take away the sexual thrill, and of course, they want to fill that void by, you guessed it, having sex with mom or dad, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum.

It was even worse for females, Freud was clearly a misogynous freak, he thought female babies felt they already had been castrated and spent their entire lives secretly hating men because of pen!s envy, almost all of societies ills were blamed on women, blah bah blah. He wrote a dream interpretation book where everything symbolizes either a womb, a pen!s, or some other naughty part, and almost every situation meant you secretly want to have sex with your mother (are you starting to get my unfunny reply?).

He was also a raging cocaine addict, and it shows in most of his writing, he prescribed it as if it was the solution to every psychic problem, and he took it as if it would cure all of his enormous psychological problems, he even secretly gave it to patients to help make them feel better during and after therapy.

Interestingly, your reply to my attempt at humor is very appropriate to what makes Freud so creepy, he was trying to interpret the unconscious mind scientifically, and that is a lot like looking down a well, what you see at the bottom is your own reflection, and so it was his manner of reasoning that shows very well what HIS psyche was, and the more you read, the more you see just how creepy this guy was.

So, sorry about the wise crack, it was meant to be a commentary about Freud, not you.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 8:28:48 AM
At 11/24/2014 7:02:10 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

So, sorry about the wise crack, it was meant to be a commentary about Freud, not you.
Thanks for clarification and sorry form my side for not perceiving the link of your wisecrack and that CREEPY Freud. I was familiar with that pathetic idea but never knew it was given by him. Anyhow Psychology's contribution is much different from Freud's creepy science.