Jump to topic:

What is morality

Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 5:21:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What is morality? It's a question that numerous philosophers have sought to understand, for all ethical arguments revert back to this question and we should endeavour to be able to answer it.
Questions that are encompassed by this include:
Is morality objective?
What does it mean to say something is 'good'?
Does morality have a source? If so, what source?
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 3:45:47 PM
If there is God, then yes one could Say Morality is objective.

If there is no God, then no, Morality is not objective. If it were, then what is it? Few cultures believe the exact same morality. Even fewer when all of history is included. Even in our own towns there is great difference. It only gets worse when history is included. 40 years ago they had massive differences in culture from today, even in our own towns. And people 40 years from now will have greatly different views from us (can we say their morality is wrong and ours right). Then there is our own changes in morality. No one over 20 today can say they believe exactly the same stuff today that they did 10 years ago, or that they believe the same stuff today that they will when their 40. We ourselves don't even maintain an objective morality.

Morality comes from the general consensus of the population.

As I have a life (consisting of other forums), I am unlikely to have time to reply to this today again, so I'll see yall later.

==Unitomic==
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 4:43:50 PM
At 11/26/2014 5:21:44 AM, Philocat wrote:
What is morality? It's a question that numerous philosophers have sought to understand, for all ethical arguments revert back to this question and we should endeavour to be able to answer it.
Is morality objective?

No. Morality is usually Relative.

That it is, as you see it, good. I see abortion has bad, while some see it as good.

God, if you believe in him. If you don't believe in God, than it's source-less... Merely an opinion you hold on to.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 5:46:07 PM
Is morality objective?

"What is morality" Last I checked being pro abortion ("Pro Choice" for the PC police) and pro gay marriage is the definition of morality and being moral.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
CorieMike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 10:49:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is morality objective?

My personal preference is ethical nihilism (which I don't see to be self contradictory whatsoever). Full of misconceptions which have been addressed. http://forums.philosophyforums.com...

To be objective, we need to scrutinize the premises below:
1. If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties do not exist.
2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.
3. Therefore, God exists.

p2. Appeals to intuition aren't very convincing or universally held. Nor am I sure they can always be reliable. http://www.utilitarian.net..., http://departments.bloomu.edu..., and http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com....

WLC and others also argue that arguments against this will be less obvious than premises for ethical scepticism ( I have yet to found good reason to believe this truth). It may be deemed rational in the absence of a defeater i.e. moral scepticism. It also doesnt address the is-ought problem. Normative claims also don't imply ethical claims, only vice versa. Eg. one can have a normative view of what it means to know or to be a knower, but there seems to be absolutely no ethical commitment there whatsoever. Also, it cannot be argued that something is good without attaching a goal to it.

I (subjectively) understand good to be attached to one's preference. Self flourishing (mainly) which may entail Group human flourishing to achieve this. However, group flourishing may have adverse effects like the Prisoner's dilemma.

p1. Moral Realism could be based on nature (like a survival mechanism or genetic adaptation to relate to other conscious entities) if it had a source, which I dont think it does.
****Wisdom Begins In Wonder - Socrates****
The path of sound credence is through the thick forest of skepticism - George Jean Nathan
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 1:17:39 AM
In my perception, happiness, contentment, morality, etc., is within us. When people give credit and/or responsibility for these qualities to an outside source, they give up both their individual choices AND responsibility. We are the keeper of our own conscience.
Pfalcon1318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 4:43:13 PM
Is morality objective?

I think the term "objective" is slightly problematic, but if by "objective" you mean:

1. Morality expresses propositions - say,The statement "Murder is bad" is a proposition - and
2. Some moral propositions are true

I would have to say that yes, morality is objective, primarily because I've read about Gewirth's argument for the Principle of Generic Consistency (PGC), and it is based on a claim that an entity considering itself an agent must make: "I do X for purpose E".

Based on the PGC, X is good if it upholds or protects someone's rights. X is bad if it violates their rights.

Presumably, the source of morality would be either action itself or else us as agents.