Jump to topic:

is sexual orientation set in stone

ask21771
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 2:40:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
While many scientists today believe sexual orientation is determined by DNA (which is highly probable) does that mean we have to go along with our biological programming or are we capable of transcending it to have whatever sexual orientation we desire
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 3:33:59 PM
At 12/3/2014 2:40:26 PM, ask21771 wrote:
While many scientists today believe sexual orientation is determined by DNA (which is highly probable) does that mean we have to go along with our biological programming or are we capable of transcending it to have whatever sexual orientation we desire

Well can you transcend your programming? Go ahead and try and then you will know if its possible, why bother asking the question?
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 4:15:38 PM

I don't believe this to be the case, I thought science generally says genetic effects on sexual orientation are minor and that environmental effects, particularly in the early stages of development in the uterus, were significant.

That being said, I'm not sure we have much of a 'choice' regarding sexual orientation. Perhaps it is possible to condition ourselves to feel differently, but I can't imagine it being particularly easy, or helpful. I do not however, preclude the possibility that this might be the best approach for some circumstances. Perhaps someone has some experience?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 4:01:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yes and no.

The formation of our perceptions concerning sexual orientation is influenced largely by society through the conceptualization and thereby implementation of a slew of over-oversimplified gender roles, some inherited from traditions long past with a foot in evolutionary mechanisms, be they unnecessary in our postmodern age, while some are more recent inventions of ridonkulousness left over from the cultural permutations of this preceding modern age itself that has given rise to our current western understanding of sexuality.

The idea of sexual orientation itself hardly existed until recently(thanks Freud). Simply thinking that sexual orientation exists at all in a definable way has affected our sexual behavior. Men were more likely to engage in acts deemed "homosexual" before they learned that they could be called a homosexual for doing it.

The LGBTQ community chose the rainbow as it's symbol to represent the many different shades of sexuality and gender identity.

However, if the question is: Can you teach a gay person not to be gay or a straight person not to be straight? Then the answer in unequivocally "no".
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 4:03:16 AM
At 12/3/2014 4:15:38 PM, the_croftmeister wrote:
I thought science generally says genetic effects on sexual orientation are minor and that environmental effects, particularly in the early stages of development in the uterus, were significant.

Sorry, those textbooks are from the 80s. Time to upgrade.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:13:53 AM

Do we have to go along with our biological programming: No. Of course not. We are not slaves to our body. We can hold our breath till we pass out, freeze extremeties, and burn others. Our bodies might scream at us, but gosh darn it, we are the boss, not the simple flesh bag attached to us.

Now, without the tongue in cheeky-ness, no, we aren't, but why would we -want- to operate countermand to our wants, needs, and desires?

Sure, you can engage sexually with whomever you want, but the impetus hinges from something a little bit beyond our control, and I don't think going against the grain will scratch that internal itch. Heck, I would be willing to wager it might create more problems in defying it, in many cases.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:12:42 AM

While I, for one, do not believe that sexual orientation in the vast majority of people is as absolute as it is often made out to be--I think most people are probably bi-sexual--I do not think that DNA is the only factor in play when it comes to sexual orientation, one must also consider environmental factors, as well as social factors, but neither do I believe that one can, as it were, choose who one is attracted to.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.