Total Posts:262|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is the meaning of life?

Drake007
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 8:50:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The meaning of life is simply to live. Nothing more, nothing less. People like to over complicate questions like these.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 2:26:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

That's up for you to decide.

People talk about the "meaning of life" - an impossibly abstract and undefinable concept, anyway - as if it's out there somewhere, just waiting to be stumbled upon. In reality, you create your own meanings based on your passions and your pleasures, the people you love, the causes you want to devote yourself to, the things in life that make it worth it for you to get through the work day, be they simple or grand.

Everyone has aspirations. Even depressed people are often just cynical idealists who gave up on their goals and expectations for life. To have meaning in life is to have stuff to content yourself with and to have stuff to strive for, to have selfish pleasures for yourself and to give back to your loved ones - possibly even society as a whole. Lastly, in my experience, I've found that such questions are meaningless and often just the result of idle contemplation - one who goes with the natural flow of life.... and I do believe most of what I'm suggesting is just common sense living which we all do naturally... one who goes with the flow does not wonder about the meaning of life all that often because they're actively engaged in it. The depressed, thoughtful, cynical, and/or idealistic thinker often writes off such people as naive, simple minded, and so on; but being engaged with life is the way to go. That being said one should be engaged thoughtfully and passionately - which is a hard line to walk, not to overthink it all but still to retain a perspective which allows for pursuing the stuff that's really fulfilling.

True fulfillment generally comes from devoting yourself to external causes beyond your immediately selfish needs and somehow "giving back" to your family, society, or the world.

I don't even know what I'm saying. You're in charge of your own life, you create your own meaning, "meaning" is not some tangible thing that's waiting for you to find it under a rock or in a cave.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:49:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 2:26:51 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

That's up for you to decide.

People talk about the "meaning of life" - an impossibly abstract and undefinable concept, anyway - as if it's out there somewhere, just waiting to be stumbled upon. In reality, you create your own meanings based on your passions and your pleasures, the people you love, the causes you want to devote yourself to, the things in life that make it worth it for you to get through the work day, be they simple or grand.

Everyone has aspirations. Even depressed people are often just cynical idealists who gave up on their goals and expectations for life. To have meaning in life is to have stuff to content yourself with and to have stuff to strive for, to have selfish pleasures for yourself and to give back to your loved ones - possibly even society as a whole. Lastly, in my experience, I've found that such questions are meaningless and often just the result of idle contemplation - one who goes with the natural flow of life.... and I do believe most of what I'm suggesting is just common sense living which we all do naturally... one who goes with the flow does not wonder about the meaning of life all that often because they're actively engaged in it. The depressed, thoughtful, cynical, and/or idealistic thinker often writes off such people as naive, simple minded, and so on; but being engaged with life is the way to go. That being said one should be engaged thoughtfully and passionately - which is a hard line to walk, not to overthink it all but still to retain a perspective which allows for pursuing the stuff that's really fulfilling.

True fulfillment generally comes from devoting yourself to external causes beyond your immediately selfish needs and somehow "giving back" to your family, society, or the world.

I don't even know what I'm saying. You're in charge of your own life, you create your own meaning, "meaning" is not some tangible thing that's waiting for you to find it under a rock or in a cave.

So what is the meaning of life if you suddenly become paralyzed and unable to give back to your family, society, or the world? What is the meaning of life when you are not in charge of your life, such as should a time come when you are layng sick in a hospital bed and unable to create anything other than your own imaginations?

Life means what? What does life mean? What is the meaning of life? How can you say life has meaning if a person is lying in incurable pain with little time left? I know a woman now who is in such a condition, fully conscious and her body expected to expire before the end of this year. Lots of pain, wheelchair is she is allowed to get out of her bed at all. What do you say to a woman like this who asks "what is the meaning of life?"

A young man may find meaning and purpose in their endeavors, but we are not alll young men and we cannot be young men forever. Some people, like mentally handicapped people , never even really get to be a man at all, remaining a perpetual dependant child........but they are alive. What is the meaning of life to them? What is the meaning of life which applies to everybody at all times in all situations, good or bad?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:54:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/4/2014 8:50:00 PM, Drake007 wrote:
The meaning of life is simply to live. Nothing more, nothing less. People like to over complicate questions like these.

To live is something you do. The question is not overcomplicated. The question is simple. It is you who is complicating the question. The question is not what do you do....we all know you live, it is obvious by seeing that you write. The question is, what is the meaning of life?

To live is what happens or what you do. Life is what you have. What is the meaning of life? Why are you here? Is there meaning for your existence?

What is the meaning of life? I could give you the answer in three words. Take a guess.

Life means _________ ___________ _____________
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 5:23:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The meaning of life is to die.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
carriead20
Posts: 1,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 5:40:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

The meaning of life? That is a question that has been debated for many many years. For Christians it is to serve your God in any way, shape, or form. The same goes for any religion really. For atheists it is to be with the ones that you care for even if there is nothing else you can do. Even if you are paralyzed, can't talk, or anything like that. It is enough that you are there.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Because your parents had sex and your fathers sperm penetrated your mothers eggs.

If you mean, "what is the meaning behind my existence?" Then the answer is whatever you make it.

It's easy to align oneself with a religion since most religions provide "purpose" or "meaning" for someone's life. It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

Ultimately, there is no objective meaning to life. It's up to you to fill that void, be it by subscribing to the beliefs of a certain religion, or creating your own meaning through your own methods of justification.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:05:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 4:49:33 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

So what is the meaning of life if you suddenly become paralyzed and unable to give back to your family, society, or the world? What is the meaning of life when you are not in charge of your life, such as should a time come when you are layng sick in a hospital bed and unable to create anything other than your own imaginations?

Life means what? What does life mean? What is the meaning of life? How can you say life has meaning if a person is lying in incurable pain with little time left? I know a woman now who is in such a condition, fully conscious and her body expected to expire before the end of this year. Lots of pain, wheelchair is she is allowed to get out of her bed at all. What do you say to a woman like this who asks "what is the meaning of life?"

A young man may find meaning and purpose in their endeavors, but we are not alll young men and we cannot be young men forever. Some people, like mentally handicapped people , never even really get to be a man at all, remaining a perpetual dependant child........but they are alive. What is the meaning of life to them? What is the meaning of life which applies to everybody at all times in all situations, good or bad?

I have no problem conceding that "meaning" would be pretty hard to come by for someone in constant pain with virtually no use of their body and no ability to engage in any hobby, pleasurable activity, selfless "cause" related work, or social interaction with friends/family. That's pretty much what life is about, so it figures that life probably isn't very "meaningful" as a vegetable.

You've used the most extreme, isolated, and generally unapplicable example to show that the logical extension of what I'm saying is that under some circumstances, human beings can lead lives with little to no "meaning" involved. This may be shocking to you; to me it is self evident, much in the way we wouldn't refer to a baby as having the mental/physical capacities to create a "meaningful" life either, or really "leading" much of a life at all.

I think meaning and fulfillment in this world come from losing yourself completely in some field of art, work, hobby, devotion, etc. And also from transcending your own purely selfish materialistic needs to love and be loved by others. And in general by giving back to society in some way. I can't really envision a meaningful and fulfilling life independent of these things. But I also don't think your life has to be exclusively centered around these things, whatever they may be, for it to be meaningful - as long as you satisfy that strange human impulse to be worth something in one way or another. Because that's what it comes down to at the end of the day: feeling like you're worth something and feeling connected to your fellow man.

That's not to say without these things life isn't necessarily worth living. Nobody said suicide is a necessity in the absence of a meaningful life. Maybe life can be worth living for stuff like sex, movies, beautiful scenes of nature, and so on. But even those things often involve a sense of connection with other people and with the universe. And a sense of validation of your ego. So if that's what meaning is about, I'd say almost everyone in society has it in some degree or another, just to varying levels and degrees.
carriead20
Posts: 1,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 10:58:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 10:47:49 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Answer: Yes.

LMAO
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 11:39:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Good question, why are you here?
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,107
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:33:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 11:39:57 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Good question, why are you here?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,490
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 10:43:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 12:33:33 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/5/2014 11:39:57 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Good question, why are you here?
Never fart near dog
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 10:54:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 11:39:57 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Good question, why are you here?

same reason you are here... God brought us into existence. Duh. That does not answer the question "What is the meaning of life?" Life means ________ ________
____________
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 10:56:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 10:54:51 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 11:39:57 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Good question, why are you here?

same reason you are here... God brought us into existence. Duh. That does not answer the question "What is the meaning of life?" Life means God is good.

Joke
.
.
.
.
Your head

But I get what you mean. :D
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:08:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 5:23:19 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
The meaning of life is to die.

That does not make sense. To say "Life means to die." would be grammtically incorrectt and incoherent in attempting to say whatever it is you are trying to say.

A correct way of using your "to die" answer would be in answering the question, "What is the goal of life? " Then you could say "the goal of life is to die.", but that makes practically no sense either. Only people who are committing suicide are activly trying to reach that goal.

I think the only question which can fit your answer would be "What are you going to do in life?" Then you could answer, "I am going to die". In this I can see no grammatical or logical error, and I would add to it that you are lving in death now, since that is all you really know that you will have.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:17:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 5:40:50 PM, carriead20 wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

The meaning of life? That is a question that has been debated for many many years. For Christians it is to serve your God in any way, shape, or form. The same goes for any religion really. For atheists it is to be with the ones that you care for even if there is nothing else you can do. Even if you are paralyzed, can't talk, or anything like that. It is enough that you are there.

You did not answer the question, you only pointed out how different people may answer differently and none of them can be said to be a true answer because the answer for each of those people is subjective and when one person's answer is contadictory to another person's answer, they cannot both be true. They are either both wrong or one of them is wrong and the other right, but when they are opposite they cannot both be true.

"It is enough that you are there" does not answer the question: What is the meaning of life? We all know we are here (except maybe bornofgod who seems to think his flesh is not real), but what is the meaning of life? Life means _____________. ????
What does life mean? It means ____________. Can you come up with one answer as a statement of fact which is true for everybody and does not dodge the quesiton by saying "it is enough that you are there."?
carriead20
Posts: 1,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:19:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 11:17:09 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 5:40:50 PM, carriead20 wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

The meaning of life? That is a question that has been debated for many many years. For Christians it is to serve your God in any way, shape, or form. The same goes for any religion really. For atheists it is to be with the ones that you care for even if there is nothing else you can do. Even if you are paralyzed, can't talk, or anything like that. It is enough that you are there.

You did not answer the question, you only pointed out how different people may answer differently and none of them can be said to be a true answer because the answer for each of those people is subjective and when one person's answer is contradictory to another person's answer, they cannot both be true. They are either both wrong or one of them is wrong and the other right, but when they are opposite they cannot both be true.

"It is enough that you are there" does not answer the question: What is the meaning of life? We all know we are here (except maybe bornofgod who seems to think his flesh is not real), but what is the meaning of life? Life means _____________. ????
What does life mean? It means ____________. Can you come up with one answer as a statement of fact which is true for everybody and does not dodge the quesiton by saying "it is enough that you are there."?

That is my point exactly, the answer to your question is very subjective. There is no one universal answer.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:21:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Because your parents had sex and your fathers sperm penetrated your mothers eggs.

If you mean, "what is the meaning behind my existence?" Then the answer is whatever you make it.

It's easy to align oneself with a religion since most religions provide "purpose" or "meaning" for someone's life. It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

Ultimately, there is no objective meaning to life. It's up to you to fill that void, be it by subscribing to the beliefs of a certain religion, or creating your own meaning through your own methods of justification.

You worked too hard on that answer. It would have been a lot easier for you to simply and honestly say "I don't know".

Let me as you this... Why would you think anybody needs methods of justification?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:23:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 11:19:46 AM, carriead20 wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:17:09 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 5:40:50 PM, carriead20 wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

The meaning of life? That is a question that has been debated for many many years. For Christians it is to serve your God in any way, shape, or form. The same goes for any religion really. For atheists it is to be with the ones that you care for even if there is nothing else you can do. Even if you are paralyzed, can't talk, or anything like that. It is enough that you are there.

You did not answer the question, you only pointed out how different people may answer differently and none of them can be said to be a true answer because the answer for each of those people is subjective and when one person's answer is contradictory to another person's answer, they cannot both be true. They are either both wrong or one of them is wrong and the other right, but when they are opposite they cannot both be true.

"It is enough that you are there" does not answer the question: What is the meaning of life? We all know we are here (except maybe bornofgod who seems to think his flesh is not real), but what is the meaning of life? Life means _____________. ????
What does life mean? It means ____________. Can you come up with one answer as a statement of fact which is true for everybody and does not dodge the quesiton by saying "it is enough that you are there."?

That is my point exactly, the answer to your question is very subjective. There is no one universal answer.

You do not know the answer. That does not mean the answer is not there. Could it be that the answer is there but you do not like the answer so you pretend it is not there?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:34:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 10:05:18 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 12/5/2014 4:49:33 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

So what is the meaning of life if you suddenly become paralyzed and unable to give back to your family, society, or the world? What is the meaning of life when you are not in charge of your life, such as should a time come when you are layng sick in a hospital bed and unable to create anything other than your own imaginations?

Life means what? What does life mean? What is the meaning of life? How can you say life has meaning if a person is lying in incurable pain with little time left? I know a woman now who is in such a condition, fully conscious and her body expected to expire before the end of this year. Lots of pain, wheelchair is she is allowed to get out of her bed at all. What do you say to a woman like this who asks "what is the meaning of life?"

A young man may find meaning and purpose in their endeavors, but we are not alll young men and we cannot be young men forever. Some people, like mentally handicapped people , never even really get to be a man at all, remaining a perpetual dependant child........but they are alive. What is the meaning of life to them? What is the meaning of life which applies to everybody at all times in all situations, good or bad?

I have no problem conceding that "meaning" would be pretty hard to come by for someone in constant pain with virtually no use of their body and no ability to engage in any hobby, pleasurable activity, selfless "cause" related work, or social interaction with friends/family. That's pretty much what life is about, so it figures that life probably isn't very "meaningful" as a vegetable.

You've used the most extreme, isolated, and generally unapplicable example to show that the logical extension of what I'm saying is that under some circumstances, human beings can lead lives with little to no "meaning" involved. This may be shocking to you; to me it is self evident, much in the way we wouldn't refer to a baby as having the mental/physical capacities to create a "meaningful" life either, or really "leading" much of a life at all.

I think meaning and fulfillment in this world come from losing yourself completely in some field of art, work, hobby, devotion, etc. And also from transcending your own purely selfish materialistic needs to love and be loved by others. And in general by giving back to society in some way. I can't really envision a meaningful and fulfilling life independent of these things. But I also don't think your life has to be exclusively centered around these things, whatever they may be, for it to be meaningful - as long as you satisfy that strange human impulse to be worth something in one way or another. Because that's what it comes down to at the end of the day: feeling like you're worth something and feeling connected to your fellow man.

That's not to say without these things life isn't necessarily worth living. Nobody said suicide is a necessity in the absence of a meaningful life. Maybe life can be worth living for stuff like sex, movies, beautiful scenes of nature, and so on. But even those things often involve a sense of connection with other people and with the universe. And a sense of validation of your ego. So if that's what meaning is about, I'd say almost everyone in society has it in some degree or another, just to varying levels and degrees.

The examples I gave and the questions raised are not extreme, rare, or isolated. They are common to pretty much everybody on the planet. I guess your parents have not passed away yet. I guess you have not had friends or loved ones who suffered terribly before they breathed their last. You probably will. I have seen some people die young, suddenly, so that while they were probably looking at life the way you are looking at it, they never had to face trying to understand life's meaning while they suffered and had no pleasure in living.

The question here is not "what makes a meaningful life". If we know the meaning of life, then it is meaningful simply because it has meaning and does not require anything we do or do not do in order to give it meaning. If there is a meaning to life, it does not matter if we suffer horribly for the duration of our time untill we draw our last breath, and it does not matter if we are totally dependent on other people to prolong the time in which we suffer. If we don't know the meaning of life, how can we know it means anything at all? What makes it worth living if we are unable to do anyting to give life meaning?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:39:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

So do you have an authority figure who gives you a meaning for life, or are you the authority figure? (or entity)? Do you face no massive void?
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:07:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 11:21:28 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Because your parents had sex and your fathers sperm penetrated your mothers eggs.

If you mean, "what is the meaning behind my existence?" Then the answer is whatever you make it.

It's easy to align oneself with a religion since most religions provide "purpose" or "meaning" for someone's life. It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

Ultimately, there is no objective meaning to life. It's up to you to fill that void, be it by subscribing to the beliefs of a certain religion, or creating your own meaning through your own methods of justification.

You worked too hard on that answer. It would have been a lot easier for you to simply and honestly say "I don't know".

I disagree. There is no such thing as working too hard when dealing with matters of the mind. It comes down to whoever has the dexterity to remain vs. those who walk away because the question is too difficult for their liking.

I know the meaning of life, the meaning I've come to realize is one that works for me. I cannot say whether the meaning I've given my life can work for you. Thus, my response was as accurate and honest as I could be. It's not that I don't know, but rather that you don't know and so I am telling you the means to answer your own question.

Let me as you this... Why would you think anybody needs methods of justification?

Everyone who has given meaning to their own life has a "reason" for accepting that meaning vs. any other meaning that's been presented to them. So, when I say justification, I really just mean reason. Justification is the action of showing something to be right or reasonable. So, when you create your own meaning for life, justifying it just means showing why you believe your meaning to be right or reasonable for you.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:10:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 11:39:43 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

So do you have an authority figure who gives you a meaning for life,

No

or are you the authority figure? (or entity)?

Yes, I had to eventually depend on myself to give my own life meaning due to not accepting the meaning given to be by religions or other authoritative figures.

Do you face no massive void?

Not anymore. I used to though, and it caused me extreme existential anxiety. I used to have anxiety attacks due to facing that massive unknown. It eventually came down to me realizing that I can only depend on myself for such things. Thus I did.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:50:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 12:10:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:39:43 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

So do you have an authority figure who gives you a meaning for life,

No

or are you the authority figure? (or entity)?

Yes, I had to eventually depend on myself to give my own life meaning due to not accepting the meaning given to be by religions or other authoritative figures.

Do you face no massive void?

Not anymore. I used to though, and it caused me extreme existential anxiety. I used to have anxiety attacks due to facing that massive unknown. It eventually came down to me realizing that I can only depend on myself for such things. Thus I did.

So what is the meaning of life? Have you numbed yourself to this quesiton so the void does not scare you? Since you are the authority figure who says what the meaning of your life is, what is it? To say "I exist" is only a fact. Why do you exist is the question here. What is the meaning of life? Can you answer from your authoritative position in a way I can understand and say, yes, this explains the meaning of my life? or is your answer only subjective to your own authority and not valid beyond your own authority? And then I have to wonder, is your authority valid at all?
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 2:25:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 1:50:37 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:10:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:39:43 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

So do you have an authority figure who gives you a meaning for life,

No

or are you the authority figure? (or entity)?

Yes, I had to eventually depend on myself to give my own life meaning due to not accepting the meaning given to be by religions or other authoritative figures.

Do you face no massive void?

Not anymore. I used to though, and it caused me extreme existential anxiety. I used to have anxiety attacks due to facing that massive unknown. It eventually came down to me realizing that I can only depend on myself for such things. Thus I did.

So what is the meaning of life?

The meaning I have given my own life is exactly that, for my own life. I cannot share my meaning with others as it has no place in another's life. If we are given the mental capacity to recognize that is it up to each of us to form that meaning for ourselves, then it is our duty to do so. Telling others the meaning for their life is not my place, as each person is different.

Have you numbed yourself to this quesiton so the void does not scare you?

No, I faced it head-on. There was no possibility of numbing myself, or escaping the void that such a realization left me with. I also wouldn't say it 'scared' me, but rather that it tore at the core of my being. If I feared such a thing, I wouldn't have risen to the challenge and would have most likely just stuck with the meaning that any of the countless religions or philosophers provide. The most difficult journey is abandoning everything you were taught.

Since you are the authority figure who says what the meaning of your life is, what is it?

There is nothing for you to gain from me revealing the meaning I've created for my own life. I'm just here to show those who are afraid to abandon everything they've been taught that it is possible to look within yourself and create your own meaning for your life.

To say "I exist" is only a fact. Why do you exist is the question here. What is the meaning of life?

I exist because my parents had intercourse (the cause) with my fathers sperm impregnated my mothers egg (the effect).

The meaning of life is entirely subjective, an answer that you must either accept the answer given by others, or find the answer from within yourself. I am only here to promote the latter option as it is the one that worked for me.

Can you answer from your authoritative position in a way I can understand and say, yes, this explains the meaning of my life? or is your answer only subjective to your own authority and not valid beyond your own authority? And then I have to wonder, is your authority valid at all?

My answer is subjective, just as everyone's answer is subjective. Even if a majority agrees with the answer, it is still subjective. You can say, "Yes, this explains the meaning of life" with it still being subjective. Thus, your question is inherently flawed.

My authority is valid for my own life. It is what worked for me and allowed me to find an inner calmness that I've lacked for several years while trying to answer that question utilizing the answers given by others. At the end of the day, I found myself to be the savior I was looking for in regards to answering that question.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
HououinKyouma
Posts: 1,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:30:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/4/2014 4:27:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why am I here?

Biology?
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 3:18:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/6/2014 2:25:45 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 1:50:37 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/6/2014 12:10:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/6/2014 11:39:43 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/5/2014 6:44:01 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
It fills a massive void that most face if they aren't given such a meaning from an authoritative figure or entity.

So do you have an authority figure who gives you a meaning for life,

No

or are you the authority figure? (or entity)?

Yes, I had to eventually depend on myself to give my own life meaning due to not accepting the meaning given to be by religions or other authoritative figures.

Do you face no massive void?

Not anymore. I used to though, and it caused me extreme existential anxiety. I used to have anxiety attacks due to facing that massive unknown. It eventually came down to me realizing that I can only depend on myself for such things. Thus I did.

So what is the meaning of life?

The meaning I have given my own life is exactly that, for my own life. I cannot share my meaning with others as it has no place in another's life. If we are given the mental capacity to recognize that is it up to each of us to form that meaning for ourselves, then it is our duty to do so. Telling others the meaning for their life is not my place, as each person is different.

Have you numbed yourself to this quesiton so the void does not scare you?

No, I faced it head-on. There was no possibility of numbing myself, or escaping the void that such a realization left me with. I also wouldn't say it 'scared' me, but rather that it tore at the core of my being. If I feared such a thing, I wouldn't have risen to the challenge and would have most likely just stuck with the meaning that any of the countless religions or philosophers provide. The most difficult journey is abandoning everything you were taught.

Since you are the authority figure who says what the meaning of your life is, what is it?

There is nothing for you to gain from me revealing the meaning I've created for my own life. I'm just here to show those who are afraid to abandon everything they've been taught that it is possible to look within yourself and create your own meaning for your life.

To say "I exist" is only a fact. Why do you exist is the question here. What is the meaning of life?

I exist because my parents had intercourse (the cause) with my fathers sperm impregnated my mothers egg (the effect).

The meaning of life is entirely subjective, an answer that you must either accept the answer given by others, or find the answer from within yourself. I am only here to promote the latter option as it is the one that worked for me.

Can you answer from your authoritative position in a way I can understand and say, yes, this explains the meaning of my life? or is your answer only subjective to your own authority and not valid beyond your own authority? And then I have to wonder, is your authority valid at all?

My answer is subjective, just as everyone's answer is subjective. Even if a majority agrees with the answer, it is still subjective. You can say, "Yes, this explains the meaning of life" with it still being subjective. Thus, your question is inherently flawed.

My authority is valid for my own life. It is what worked for me and allowed me to find an inner calmness that I've lacked for several years while trying to answer that question utilizing the answers given by others. At the end of the day, I found myself to be the savior I was looking for in regards to answering that question.

Is your authority valid for your own life or is it valid for your own death? If your authority is valid for your own life, why is your own life going to be ended? If you are the savior you were looking for, what did you get saved from? Did you get saved from death? Did you get saved from yourself? If you are your own saviour and you really are not saved from anything that really does you any good, I would have to say you are not much of a saviour. You still have not answered the question, "What is the meaning of life". And you sure have not convinced me that you are your saviour when you are dying and unable to stop yourself from dying.
You got saved from religion? So you are your own saviour, and as the saviour of yourself, you have replaced religion with yourself? That sounds to me like you are your own religion, your own god......and a quite powerless god, who did not bring yoursefl into existence and cannot get yourself out of death.

The question "what is the meaning of life" is not flawed. What is flawed is your answer. Your answer is flawed because it is not only completely dodging the question, it is giving incomplete and incoherent answers to around ten other questions.
The question is not flawed, your answer is flawed. If you cannot give me an answer that is coherent, then I must assume you really don't have the answer for the question.
You say the answer is subjective....that's the problem. That's what makes it so hard for people to understand....people want to make their lives subjective to themselves, and since they did not bring themselves into existence, they cannot in subjectiveness find any coherent and communicable explanation of the meaning of life.