Jump to topic:

What is the nature of evil?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 7:29:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Been meditating on it. From a philosophical standpoint, the answer may be clear depending on your definitions. But i began looking at it from a more scientific standpoint and pondering the idea of nature vs. nurture. Phillip Zimbardo's standford prison experiment brought some interesting insights into the human condition. Given the right circumstances, humans are capable of committing any evils they so desire. I would think that people are born with inclinations towards good or evil and these are also shaped through experiences.

From a Christian perspective, it would be plausible. We are by nature sinners and it would not surprise me if it had at least some biological connection. We do however have full control over it through the power of Christ but is it still there? I believe people have a good and evil side to their character. My good side is rational, compassionate, kind, gentle, peaceful, loyal, and loving whereas sometimes i feel my evil side is arrogant, aggressive, brutally violent, full of anger, sadistic, many other things i'd rather not say. Only by turning to my faith can it be controlled, but i'm not sure if it can be eliminated until my death.

What about you? What are your thoughts?
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:04:16 PM
At 12/10/2014 7:29:56 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Been meditating on it. From a philosophical standpoint, the answer may be clear depending on your definitions. But i began looking at it from a more scientific standpoint and pondering the idea of nature vs. nurture. Phillip Zimbardo's standford prison experiment brought some interesting insights into the human condition. Given the right circumstances, humans are capable of committing any evils they so desire. I would think that people are born with inclinations towards good or evil and these are also shaped through experiences.

From a Christian perspective, it would be plausible. We are by nature sinners and it would not surprise me if it had at least some biological connection. We do however have full control over it through the power of Christ but is it still there? I believe people have a good and evil side to their character. My good side is rational, compassionate, kind, gentle, peaceful, loyal, and loving whereas sometimes i feel my evil side is arrogant, aggressive, brutally violent, full of anger, sadistic, many other things i'd rather not say. Only by turning to my faith can it be controlled, but i'm not sure if it can be eliminated until my death.

I'm unsure whether is is a commentary of the nature of evil or when religion is introduced into our lives what does this mean in terms of nature vs nurture and our stance on morality. It sorta sounds like the latter.

I think you have two recognize the problem of evil and its assumption that a moral truth or morality exists, but that is another matter entirely. I digress. Evil I think has two senses/concepts to the word, the "general" evil of the world, and specific acts of evil. Of course defining someone/something as evil means that they defy logic and we have no interest in trying to understand why someone has done something. Let's say a sociopath, can be described as evil for his acts against society, but we know that his brain isn't developed and has no concept of what feelings are. That might open a whole other bag of cats, but yeah.

I would say people aren't born with any inclinations. The whole Nature vs. Nurture is basically genetics vs how you were raised. While genetics are important to your development it is important for you to be raised in a stable environment in which you are comfortable some people need more structure other less. We are by nature human and we seek what we covet. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't aggress on anybody.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 2:28:31 AM
At 12/10/2014 7:29:56 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

The nature of Evil, I think, stems from selfishness. The desire to quench some internal yearning at whatever cost, with varying depravity based on the desire to quench, and how real a consequence might be. This doesn't mean the particpant believes themselves to be evil in all instances, it just means they have a great knack for lying and obfuscating the horror of the matter to themselves.

Now, my theory here hits a wall when it comes to mental disorders. Some one whom engages in violent acts because a voice in their head told them to, or the selfish desire not being present are stumpers, but at least quantifiable to a reason.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...