Jump to topic:

The Morality of the consumption of meat

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 12:27:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, from the religious topic, I, Jodybird, and Beastt have had numerous chats about eating meat, mostly stemming from the implications (at least from what I can understand) of a human life to an animal life, and the varying degrees of 'suffering' that might constitute immoralities about consuming different 'shades' of meat.

As best as I can discern:
an egg is okay.

Everything else after that is subject to what I hope is a scientific explanation of their world view, and beyond that, the moral justification that eating another creature is simply immoral.

I invite the vegans/vegetarians present to present their views.

I, personally eat meat. Chicken, cow (beef), sea food, the varying phylums in between, and ask for a reason that my particular appetite should be deemed as immoral.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bebil10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 1:07:21 AM
At 12/14/2014 12:27:00 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
So, from the religious topic, I, Jodybird, and Beastt have had numerous chats about eating meat, mostly stemming from the implications (at least from what I can understand) of a human life to an animal life, and the varying degrees of 'suffering' that might constitute immoralities about consuming different 'shades' of meat.

an egg is okay.

Everything else after that is subject to what I hope is a scientific explanation of their world view, and beyond that, the moral justification that eating another creature is simply immoral.

I, personally eat meat. Chicken, cow (beef), sea food, the varying phylums in between, and ask for a reason that my particular appetite should be deemed as immoral.

I personally think eating meat is fine, what often happens is the vegan or vegetarian confuses the treatment of the animals up until they are killed with the actual eating of the meat. Yes we as a society should look to a more humane way to handle these animals. Yet, at this point we would be doing even more harm if we take ourselves out of the food chain and stop eating meat.

So in short eating meat is bad, some of the current methods of obtaining our meat are bad.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 1:19:01 PM
At 12/14/2014 1:07:21 AM, bebil10 wrote:

an egg is okay.

I personally think eating meat is fine, what often happens is the vegan or vegetarian confuses the treatment of the animals up until they are killed with the actual eating of the meat. Yes we as a society should look to a more humane way to handle these animals. Yet, at this point we would be doing even more harm if we take ourselves out of the food chain and stop eating meat.

So in short eating meat is bad, some of the current methods of obtaining our meat are bad.

Eating meat is not bad. Human beings have been doing it for millions of years. It is believed that the rapid growth and evolution of the human brain in our ancestors was triggered by adding meat to our diet.

The moral issue is that vertebrates are sentient. They feel pain and respond to external stimuli. Some even exhibit complex emotion.

In today's civilized world it is not necessary to consume meat. Everything we need is available to us. So the moral question is why? Why do we enjoy the consumption of a sentient, living thing?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 1:22:42 PM

an egg is okay.

Vegans are morally superior to you because they have a soft spot for animals so you are immoral for eating one. Any questions?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 1:45:26 PM
On the smoker as I type this
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
creedhunt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:26:06 PM
I'm a noncognitivist, but if we were to say that human lives have moral value, then the current methods of eating meat cause an enormous amount of carbon emissions that will inevitably become the cause of many deaths, and is therefore immoral. If, however, the death of previously living humans has negative value, then the carbon emissions are moral, because they prevent the births of people rather than allowing the population to expand further and causing all of their deaths. I'm not sure though, just throwing that out there.
Valladarex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:52:10 PM
I actually did a debate on the ethicality of the consumption of meat. I assert that it is ethical, so long as the animals were treated and killed humanely.

Heres the debate:
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:55:39 PM
Yesterday, somebody presented us with some live birds they caught in the forest. Small birds a little bigger than a chicken. I couldn't eat it. I kept thinking this is animal is alive. I was forced to eat the birds and they tasted really good like chicken except tastier and not bland. When I eat chicken I don't think twice because the chicken is dead. I don't think I have ever met a live chicken because most of the chicken that I do see is already cooked. But the thought of a peaceful animal that is untamed to be on my plate for domesticated consumption seemed like I was complicit in its murder.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 12:01:22 AM
At 12/14/2014 1:19:01 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/14/2014 1:07:21 AM, bebil10 wrote:

an egg is okay.

Eating meat is not bad. Human beings have been doing it for millions of years. It is believed that the rapid growth and evolution of the human brain in our ancestors was triggered by adding meat to our diet.

The moral issue is that vertebrates are sentient. They feel pain and respond to external stimuli. Some even exhibit complex emotion.

In today's civilized world it is not necessary to consume meat. Everything we need is available to us. So the moral question is why? Why do we enjoy the consumption of a sentient, living thing?

In some cases that is the only option. Today's 'civilized' world arguments regarding what is neccessary is a hard one to really bring to the table. Paper, pretty much in all forms, by today's civilized world is not neccessary. Granted, it would be hecka expensive to make it happen, would force many people into a lifestyle they simply don't want, and would throw MANY people out of a job, but its not a requirement.

I think a lot of the stigma of meat eating comes from how its taken. Were I to be out, fishing, trapping, shooting my own game, satisfying my own appetite, it changes the scope. Now I am literally doing it for survival. Industrial farming takes some of the requirement out, but just remember the alternative should it not be around.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.