Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

new age philosiphies=being better people?

sdavio
Posts: 1,798
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 8:06:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 6:02:27 PM, ask21771 wrote:
Do the ideas of new age and empowerment make us better people or increase our narcissism

I'm not sure what they are. Could you explain what you are referring to?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:10:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 6:02:27 PM, ask21771 wrote:
Do the ideas of new age and empowerment make us better people or increase our narcissism

What's the difference?
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 4:26:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 6:02:27 PM, ask21771 wrote:
Do the ideas of new age and empowerment make us better people or increase our narcissism

Good if you prefer the single life. Bad if you have a family or want one.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 5:04:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 6:02:27 PM, ask21771 wrote:
Do the ideas of new age and empowerment make us better people or increase our narcissism

Pride has been something that is increasing lately in society. People are always about leaving their marks in society, doing something big, or maintaing a level of pride.

I think it is morally detrimental, though some may disagree.
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 11:50:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 6:02:27 PM, ask21771 wrote:
Do the ideas of new age and empowerment make us better people or increase our narcissism

Specification needed
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
phiLockeraptor
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 10:00:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 6:02:27 PM, ask21771 wrote:
Do the ideas of new age and empowerment make us better people or increase our narcissism

Society, for the longest time, has pretended that it values the individual as the irreducible unit, when in reality, they treated the family this way.

Now that we're changing into what we've pretended to be for a long time, people are throwing a fit.

The same thing happened in the 50's and 60's. "All men are created equal" suddenly became an annoying statement in light of the justifications for racism.

However, I will say this: This focus on the individual will serve to weaken the local communities that make relatively light-handed federal tactics possible. In fact, this weakening of familial ties might actually serve to erode the individual down so that they may more easily be swept into national, gang, military, or even political allegiance.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 9:33:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 6:02:27 PM, ask21771 wrote:
Do the ideas of new age and empowerment make us better people or increase our narcissism

Give an example of a "new age" philosophy that isn't just a bastardization of an existing philosophy.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%