Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:40:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 7:38:26 PM, Sargon wrote:
Discuss.

First we must establish a baseline. "Clever compared to who?"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:27:06 PM
Discuss.

The question you should be asking is "why am I so narcissistic?"
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 5:11:52 AM
Actually, I understand you are a scientifically minded individual. I've actually read some of your material that you write. If that is in fact, you...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:41:45 AM
At 12/16/2014 5:17:48 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Nevermind, its not you. I have no idea who you are.

I see you had a sex change.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 1:30:18 AM
At 12/16/2014 9:41:45 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Indeed. After being gone 6 months, I couldn't resist messing up all my personal details. XD
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 10:02:09 AM
At 12/17/2014 1:30:18 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Indeed. After being gone 6 months, I couldn't resist messing up all my private areas. XD

Fix'd
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 6:57:03 PM
At 12/17/2014 10:02:09 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 12/17/2014 1:30:18 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Indeed. After being gone 6 months, I couldn't resist messing up all my private areas. XD

Fix'd

lol, that made my day.
SargonOfAkkad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 3:03:44 PM
At 12/18/2014 10:34:14 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Discuss.

You're not, but it's easy to convince yourself when you cheat.

That doesn't make any sense. Cheating implies a conscious intent to break the rules. Therefore, if I am a cheater, then I am consciously aware of the fact that I am a cheater. If this is the case, then I would know that my debate record is fraudelent, and I would therefore not be able to convince myself that I am clever.

However, I still find your post to be very useful. I've been looking for a research topic, and I think it would be interesting to find an equation for determing the intensity of your jealousy towards me. I'll update you if I make any progress, which I probably won't, seeing as I'm a big fraud and all.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 3:10:00 PM
At 12/19/2014 3:03:44 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:
Discuss.

That doesn't make any sense. Cheating implies a conscious intent to break the rules. Therefore, if I am a cheater, then I am consciously aware of the fact that I am a cheater. If this is the case, then I would know that my debate record is fraudelent, and I would therefore not be able to convince myself that I am clever.

However, I still find your post to be very useful. I've been looking for a research topic, and I think it would be interesting to find an equation for determing the intensity of your jealousy towards me. I'll update you if I make any progress, which I probably won't, seeing as I'm a big fraud and all.

If you're a cheater, then you're a liar, which means that you would claim that you're clever whether or not you're aware of the fact that you're not, given the tacit purpose of cheating is to deceive people into thinking you're more clever than you are. Given an Occam approach to the question of whether or not you're clever, it stands to reason that you're more likely a cheater than someone who made this thread out of candor, as you obviously have a vested interest in being perceived as clever by others, and if you were actually clever, then others would simply acknowledge it rather than require you to inform them that you are. Clever simply implies a minor superlative, and something that's superlative stands out, rendering it obvious, so no one would need to be told, nor would they need a prompt to discuss it, if they were so inclined.

I would imagine that a clever person would know that.
SargonOfAkkad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 3:12:47 PM
At 12/19/2014 3:10:00 PM, Such wrote:
Discuss.

If you're a cheater, then you're a liar, which means that you would claim that you're clever whether or not you're aware of the fact that you're not, given the tacit purpose of cheating is to deceive people into thinking you're more clever than you are. Given an Occam approach to the question of whether or not you're clever, it stands to reason that you're more likely a cheater than someone who made this thread out of candor, as you obviously have a vested interest in being perceived as clever by others, and if you were actually clever, then others would simply acknowledge it rather than require you to inform them that you are. Clever simply implies a minor superlative, and something that's superlative stands out, rendering it obvious, so no one would need to be told, nor would they need a prompt to discuss it, if they were so inclined.

Or, perhaps, the clever person has read Nietzsche's Ecce Homo.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 3:19:58 PM
At 12/19/2014 3:12:47 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:
Discuss.

If that were the context of your post, you wouldn't still be calling yourself clever, since it casts the question in an entirely new light.

To be abstruse about an already esoteric subject isn't clever. It doesn't belie the person doing it as being clever, but it does beg the question as to whether that person is insecure enough to seem it by being esoterically abstruse.

But, let's give you the benefit of the doubt, and say that this thread is about a chapter in that book. What about it? I'm reading up on it, and it seems to have some parallel to The Trial of Socrates, which I have read. If that's the case, then it likely has something to do with Nietzsche considering himself a person who seeks knowledge by illuminating truth through the knowledge of others, am I right?

I wouldn't know either way, so you're going to need to give us more on the subject, if that's what you're interested in discussing.
SargonOfAkkad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 3:31:57 PM
At 12/19/2014 3:19:58 PM, Such wrote:
At 12/19/2014 3:12:47 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:
Discuss.

If that were the context of your post, you wouldn't still be calling yourself clever, since it casts the question in an entirely new light.

To be abstruse about an already esoteric subject isn't clever. It doesn't belie the person doing it as being clever, but it does beg the question as to whether that person is insecure enough to seem it by being esoterically abstruse.

But, let's give you the benefit of the doubt, and say that this thread is about a chapter in that book. What about it? I'm reading up on it, and it seems to have some parallel to The Trial of Socrates, which I have read. If that's the case, then it likely has something to do with Nietzsche considering himself a person who seeks knowledge by illuminating truth through the knowledge of others, am I right?

I wouldn't know either way, so you're going to need to give us more on the subject, if that's what you're interested in discussing.

I posted three OP's lifted from Nietzche's Ecce Homo with humorous intent. I reasoned that anybody who is well-read on philosophy would understand that I am not claiming to be clever (nor "destiny', as another OP states), but would "get the joke", so to speak, and realize that it's all just a Nietzsche reference. That's all there is to this OP. Only this, and nothing more.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 4:04:54 PM
At 12/19/2014 3:31:57 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:

I posted three OP's lifted from Nietzche's Ecce Homo with humorous intent. I reasoned that anybody who is well-read on philosophy would understand that I am not claiming to be clever (nor "destiny', as another OP states), but would "get the joke", so to speak, and realize that it's all just a Nietzsche reference. That's all there is to this OP. Only this, and nothing more.

You made a whole series of threads, which is tantamount to starting a series of conversations, in the hopes of amusing people who are "well-read on philosophy?" You realize the nature of these threads, right? "Why am I destiny?" isn't something that would garner much attention, because it just sounds stupid, but "why am I so clever?" sounds haughty, so it would, of course, garner the attention that it did.

That means that all of your other little "joke threads" will be buried, leaving only this one, and that's why this one is the only one I saw.

So, even if I had read that book, I probably wouldn't have gotten the reference. Just saying.

But, what's truly a shame is that you don't even want to discuss that book, as I gave you the opportunity.

You just want to seem clever to people who are knowledgeable about philosophy.

How quaintly ironic.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 6:57:34 PM
Discuss.

Clever vs...?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 11:33:31 PM
Discuss.

It doesn't have to make sense. Obviously delusions of grandeur are delusional and not rational.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 2:59:11 AM
At 12/19/2014 4:04:54 PM, Such wrote:
At 12/19/2014 3:31:57 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:

You made a whole series of threads, which is tantamount to starting a series of conversations, in the hopes of amusing people who are "well-read on philosophy?" You realize the nature of these threads, right? "Why am I destiny?" isn't something that would garner much attention, because it just sounds stupid, but "why am I so clever?" sounds haughty, so it would, of course, garner the attention that it did.

That means that all of your other little "joke threads" will be buried, leaving only this one, and that's why this one is the only one I saw.

So, even if I had read that book, I probably wouldn't have gotten the reference. Just saying.

But, what's truly a shame is that you don't even want to discuss that book, as I gave you the opportunity.

You just want to seem clever to people who are knowledgeable about philosophy.

How quaintly ironic.

Actually, I am an avid Nietzsche reader and I noticed all the references to Nietzsche's Ecce Homo--you're right by the way, Nietzsche intended it to be, in somre respects, a parallel of Plato's Apology, but also of the Trial of Christ--that aside, you're right, I went into each forum expecting to see a discussion of Nietzsche's philosophy, or even of his writing style, and I searched in vain--I was waiting for echoes of the OP, but I didn't even hear any praise.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:07:52 AM
At 12/15/2014 9:27:06 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
Discuss.

Did anyone else thought this was gonna be about Nietzsche and Ecce Homo. 0.0
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 1:23:11 PM
At 12/20/2014 5:07:52 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:27:06 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
Discuss.

Did anyone else thought this was gonna be about Nietzsche and Ecce Homo. 0.0

http://www.gurl.com...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 1:56:11 PM
I enjoyed reading Beyond Good and Evil, but only for its style. I don't think Nietzsche was actually a very good philosopher... he's certainly not on par with Kant or Hume. I think he's only popular because of his poetic writing style, not because his ideas are profound or original. I mean, his most famous statement -"God is Dead" - is literally just the idea that without God, we no longer have a basis for our morals, and thus nihilism is inevitable. Is that supposed to be profound?
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 8:12:41 PM
At 12/20/2014 1:56:11 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
I enjoyed reading Beyond Good and Evil, but only for its style. I don't think Nietzsche was actually a very good philosopher... he's certainly not on par with Kant or Hume. I think he's only popular because of his poetic writing style, not because his ideas are profound or original. I mean, his most famous statement -"God is Dead" - is literally just the idea that without God, we no longer have a basis for our morals, and thus nihilism is inevitable. Is that supposed to be profound?

I agree with part of what you said, I think that the Nietzsche that most people like is not very profound. The whole "God is Dead" bit is not very profound, it is the discussion and the ideas about what to do about it that are interesting. The eternal recurrence is also quite interesting, though I am not sure if it is "profound." Anyway, I don't think that the concept "profound" is very useful, to me it has always seemed to be too vague a term.

The best things of Nietzsche are his views on language--some of which anticipated Wittgenstein--his views on emotion (which anticipated the James-Lange theory of emotions) and his views on the origin of morality, which were a game changer. His critique of Kant and other philosophers is certainly valuable though I wouldn't say it is the last word. I actually would put him on par with Kant and Hume, he was a pretty good philosopher, and he was able to express his ideas in a very clear manner--like Wittgenstein and Ayer--unlike Kant who I often suspects appears "profound" because his style is so obtuse.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:23:16 AM
Discuss.

It's not jealousy, Rather I actually truly think you manipulated the vote on your debate between you and Miles. therefore no jealousy is involved here, and what do I truly have to be jealous of? you hold nothing of value to me, Should I be jealous that you're an atheist? Give me a break. Should I be jealous that you have not a single loss in 22 debates. lol grow up,

No, I just think that you have a over inflated ego even after trying to get to know you personally I found you ignorant and arrogant, I think it's so over inflated that you would go as far as manipulating votes to convince yourself you are clever, weather you are aware of this or not, makes no odds, as you could also be deluded, which wouldn't be a surprising trait.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 6:14:35 PM
At 12/16/2014 2:31:10 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Why'd sargon close his account?

He wasn't clever enough to be on DDO?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 7:21:49 PM
This is because Sargon simply isn't human. Sargon's name isn't because of Sargon of Akkad like he wants us to think, but because he belongs to a race of beings that have transcended material form. Sargon's species naturally evolved higher intelligence. In fact, I believe Sargon lost a majority of his intellect when he was supposedly destroyed on the USS Enterprise. Sargon instead was transported to 21rst century earth where he found a young boy to posses.

Learn the truth
http://en.memory-alpha.org...
http://en.memory-alpha.org...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 7:44:26 PM
I also found a picture of Sargon before posting this thread

http://1.bp.blogspot.com...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.