Jump to topic:

Totally random thought here...

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:57:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So it is often said, "The pen is mightier then the sword". But couldn't it also be said, "The pen is only as mighty as the person who yields it" and is it not also true it is much easier to influence a person with a sword then a pen. So you could argue that the person wielding the sword is mightier then the person who yields the pen. Thus making the sword mightier then the pen. Just a random thought, although I'm open to your thoughts as well.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:15:22 AM
Yes, all of these things can be said. The cliche was invented to describe the fact that political philosophers created manifestos which moved people to war and revolution. If someone put Vlad Lenin to the sword before he wrote his way to the Bolshevik revolution, then thousands of revolutionaries never would have overthrown the Romanov dynasty. But no one put him to the sword, so his letters and propaganda moved the Russian masses to violent overthrow of the Romanov family. For the sword to defeat the pen, the writer must first be located and run through.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 6:02:01 PM
At 12/21/2014 8:57:06 PM, Rubikx wrote:
So it is often said, "The pen is mightier then the sword". But couldn't it also be said, "The pen is only as mighty as the person who yields it" and is it not also true it is much easier to influence a person with a sword then a pen. So you could argue that the person wielding the sword is mightier then the person who yields the pen. Thus making the sword mightier then the pen. Just a random thought, although I'm open to your thoughts as well.

The pen is almost always backed with the threat of the sword should one not obey the words written by the pen.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 2:30:22 PM
At 12/28/2014 1:37:07 PM, Vajrasattva-LeRoy wrote:
The pen is almost always backed by a sword?
nuts!

Compare the impacts of a writing such as the Declaration of Independence on the world in the absence of men being willing to take up arms against the King - with the same document and NO such determination from those who wrote it.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 4:46:01 PM

A sword is only as mighty as the person who wields it.

Also, you can't influence someone with a sword at all. You can intimidate them, sure, but that intimidation lasts as long as the sword is pointed at them. But, a pen can actually influence. Long after a writer has finished writing, or has even finished living, the word of his pen causes people to take up arms and give up their lives for what they have been led to believe.

With a sword, you can kill whoever you can touch with the sword -- if you know how and have the proper strength.

But, with the know-how and proper initiative, you can kill countries, ideologies, entirely paradigms.

The pen, my friend, is the way.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 5:13:41 PM

It basically means that ideas are more powerful than force (or at least have a greater potential of power). The reason behind this is because no body of force is greater than the power of the collective people. No dictator can use force to oppress their people if their people get the idea that they can rise against them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vajrasattva-LeRoy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:11:25 AM
It's easier to try to influence people with a sword than with a pen?
Of course it is.
Refer to what L. Ron Hubbard, Neo-Tech, etc. , say about "the easy way" .
Suppose that you were confronted by 2 people,
"A" tells you something & threatens to cut your head off if you don't believe him.
"B" tells you THE SAME THING in a note, or even verbally.
WHICH WILL YOU BELIEVE ???
LRH: "If might makes right then Rome still rules the world.
Who fears the archeological curiosity called Rome ? "