Jump to topic:

Can money buy happiness?

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 3:52:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Its a very old question, and I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about it. Personally I think it can. Obviously you can't just go to the store and buy a jar of happiness, but indirectly money can provide people with more happiness.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 4:50:23 PM
At 12/26/2014 3:52:01 PM, Rubikx wrote:
Its a very old question, and I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about it. Personally I think it can. Obviously you can't just go to the store and buy a jar of happiness, but indirectly money can provide people with more happiness.

No.

Once upon a time, I lived in a city. It was hard. It was expensive and challenging and dangerous and unforgiving.

I survived, but not only did I survive, I adapted.

I met beautiful women. I increased my physical aptitude. I tried and failed and tried again. I got money from wherever I could. It was legal, it was illegal, and it fell within shades of grey.

But, I was so, so happy. I had so much fun. I got involved with interesting people. I did lots of drugs. I slept with gorgeous women.

I have also been poor. I was depressed. I was desperate. I did criminal things. I tried too hard at no avail. It was no good.

Right now, I make salary. I do well. I keep my nose clean. I can afford whatever I want. However, I have no friends; I know no one, and no one really knows me. I am comfortable, and I always have access to what I need, but I can never achieve the state I was in with the first example.

It remains nebulous to me.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:08:08 PM
At 12/26/2014 4:50:23 PM, Such wrote:

No.

Once upon a time, I lived in a city. It was hard. It was expensive and challenging and dangerous and unforgiving.

I met beautiful women. I increased my physical aptitude. I tried and failed and tried again. I got money from wherever I could. It was legal, it was illegal, and it fell within shades of grey.

But, I was so, so happy. I had so much fun. I got involved with interesting people. I did lots of drugs. I slept with gorgeous women.

I have also been poor. I was depressed. I was desperate. I did criminal things. I tried too hard at no avail. It was no good.

Right now, I make salary. I do well. I keep my nose clean. I can afford whatever I want. However, I have no friends; I know no one, and no one really knows me. I am comfortable, and I always have access to what I need, but I can never achieve the state I was in with the first example.

But your sad because you have no friends, not because of how much money you have. I suppose I should have rephrased my statement. What I meant to say is money CAN buy happiness, not money ALWAYS buys happiness. same with a lot of things in life. They can or cannot bring you happiness based off of how you use them.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:10:06 PM
At 12/26/2014 5:08:08 PM, Rubikx wrote:

No.

But your sad because you have no friends, not because of how much money you have. I suppose I should have rephrased my statement. What I meant to say is money CAN buy happiness, not money ALWAYS buys happiness. same with a lot of things in life. They can or cannot bring you happiness based off of how you use them.

No, you can have friends whether or not, but the friends you make when you're poor are more genuine than those you make when you're rich.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:13:38 PM
At 12/26/2014 5:10:06 PM, Such wrote:

No.

No, you can have friends whether or not, but the friends you make when you're poor are more genuine than those you make when you're rich.

But the original question was whether or not money can buy you happiness. It wasn't whether friends bring you happiness or money buys you friends. What you said is true most of the time. But the question remains unanswered.

Can money buy you happiness. For some people happiness may be having tons of friends, and the amount of money they have is irrelevant. However, I believe for the majority of the population money can buy them happiness in many different forms.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:14:36 PM
At 12/26/2014 5:13:38 PM, Rubikx wrote:

No.

But the original question was whether or not money can buy you happiness. It wasn't whether friends bring you happiness or money buys you friends. What you said is true most of the time. But the question remains unanswered.

Can money buy you happiness. For some people happiness may be having tons of friends, and the amount of money they have is irrelevant. However, I believe for the majority of the population money can buy them happiness in many different forms.

Like what?
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:17:56 PM
At 12/26/2014 5:14:36 PM, Such wrote:

No.

Like what?

Happiness for some people may be drugs, clothes, technology, cars, houses, jewellery. But even excluding physical objects money can still provide you with happiness. If you have tons of money then you can spend less time working and more time doing the things you love (i.e. family, friends, sports, hobbies, etc). But if you are poor, then you have to spend more time earning money in order to provide yourself (and possibly family) with food, shelter, education and so on.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:28:02 PM
At 12/26/2014 5:17:56 PM, Rubikx wrote:

No.

Like what?

Happiness for some people may be drugs, clothes, technology, cars, houses, jewellery. But even excluding physical objects money can still provide you with happiness. If you have tons of money then you can spend less time working and more time doing the things you love (i.e. family, friends, sports, hobbies, etc). But if you are poor, then you have to spend more time earning money in order to provide yourself (and possibly family) with food, shelter, education and so on.

Under what circumstances can you have so much money without working or dealing with supporting family?
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:31:46 PM
At 12/26/2014 5:28:02 PM, Such wrote:
At 12/26/2014 5:17:56 PM, Rubikx wrote:

No.

Like what?

Under what circumstances can you have so much money without working or dealing with supporting family?

What I mean is you worked hard, became rich, and now have time to enjoy life. Or even possibly people born into wealth, who don't have to work as they have their parents money. Or for very few people, winning the lottery or discovering something that leads to them becoming very rich.

http://www.therichest.com...
these people could all retire and be perfectly fine not working for the rest of their lives.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:36:59 PM

Money can get you a jet ski, and I gotta tell you, it's pretty damn hard not to be happy on a jet ski..
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 6:03:55 PM
At 12/26/2014 5:31:46 PM, Rubikx wrote:

What I mean is you worked hard, became rich, and now have time to enjoy life.

Well, I guess the question is, how much time do you have left, and how did you go about attaining that money? Now, with that time you spent earning that money, what do you have left that will make you happy?

Or even possibly people born into wealth, who don't have to work as they have their parents money.

I find that these people have a hard time with appreciation in general. Examples?

Or for very few people, winning the lottery or discovering something that leads to them becoming very rich.

Those people don't even understand money and, accordingly, most often don't keep it. Examples?

these people could all retire and be perfectly fine not working for the rest of their lives.

But, they continue working. Why is that?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 6:07:59 PM
No, money cannot buy happiness. The emotion is largely the result of hormones (particularly dopamine and seratonin) surging in your brain. People who have chemical imbalances or their neuroreceptors are not good at receiving and transmitting happy chemicals have a hard time feeling happy, even if circumstances would seemingly warrant that reaction. No amount of money could ensure one is happy, although like others have mentioned, you could certainly buy things that increase the likelihood of feeling happy. Many things that cause those hormones to surge can be bought, though some things may have a stronger effect and are free (such as an attraction or relationship with someone).
President of DDO
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 6:18:09 PM
Having more money would make me feel more secure. And having lots more money would let more readily fulfill some of the basic goals in my life...

It's not really a sufficient condition for happiness, but being financially secure definitely allows one to build a platform from which meaningful goals can be sought/attained... And can assist in fending off or mitigating innoportune happenstances which might cause pain/discomfort...

But, of course, everyone already knows ;)
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:20:54 PM

You act as if you know what happiness is. What is it?
Nolite Timere
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:31:11 PM
At 12/26/2014 7:20:54 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

You act as if you know what happiness is. What is it?

Everyone knows what happiness feels like. But I have no exact definition of it. Really the only explanation I have for happiness is that sorta content feeling you have when you are enjoying a particular situation you are involved in or observing. But ultimately I have no definition of happiness. Although I would be interested if you have one.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:35:02 PM
At 12/26/2014 6:03:55 PM, Such wrote:

Well, I guess the question is, how much time do you have left, and how did you go about attaining that money? Now, with that time you spent earning that money, what do you have left that will make you happy?

spending that money on things you enjoy.

Or even possibly people born into wealth, who don't have to work as they have their parents money.

I find that these people have a hard time with appreciation in general. Examples?

Personally I don't know any extremely rich people. But thats more a matter of poor parenting rather then just a general lack of appreciation.

Or for very few people, winning the lottery or discovering something that leads to them becoming very rich.

Those people don't even understand money and, accordingly, most often don't keep it. Examples?

Whether or not they stay rich isn't the point. The money that they had brought them happiness for a short time. I never said money can buy life long happiness.

Personally, I don't know. But I assume its either because they enjoy working and/or making more money.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:56:06 PM

No.

Reading your story here is like reading my own story, I hope you will hear me out here. You do have a friend...ME. A friend tells you the truth for your own good, even if you don't like it and push your friend away. God loves you.

Jesus came so you could have life, and life more abundantly. God offers you peace through the blood of His cross. God loves you and paid for your crimes with His own blood so you do not have to pay in Hell if you will believe on Him. Why not turn away from your sins and turn to God, ask His forgiveness, and receive His Son as your Saviour and have eternal life? All you will have without Him is more of the same up and down with nothing satisfying which cannot be taken away. God will give you eternal life which cannot be taken away and will satisfy you forever. The pleasures of sin cannot do that.

I was so much like you. Reading your story here is like reading my own story...except I repented of my sins and believed on Jesus Christ and now He is my life and I have eternal life and money can't buy what I have, and nothing can take it away from me.

The one thing you can never have access to by anything you do is eternal life. You can't earn it, you can't buy it, and you can't hold onto it without God. He wants to give you eternal life. He wants you to know He loves you. He wants you to be His child forever, He wants you to know Him as your Heavenly Father and Jesus as your Heavenly and Earthly friend. That's why He came down from heaven and died in your place.

I don't wan't to fight with you. Reading your post here is soooo much like reading my own story before I repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and He saved me from Hell and gave me eternal life. I am fully satisfied and content knowing Him, except for one thing.......I want to me more like Him, and I know I will be like Him completely when I see Him face to face.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:47:22 PM
At 12/26/2014 7:56:06 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

No.

Reading your story here is like reading my own story, I hope you will hear me out here. You do have a friend...ME. A friend tells you the truth for your own good, even if you don't like it and push your friend away. God loves you.

Jesus came so you could have life, and life more abundantly. God offers you peace through the blood of His cross. God loves you and paid for your crimes with His own blood so you do not have to pay in Hell if you will believe on Him. Why not turn away from your sins and turn to God, ask His forgiveness, and receive His Son as your Saviour and have eternal life? All you will have without Him is more of the same up and down with nothing satisfying which cannot be taken away. God will give you eternal life which cannot be taken away and will satisfy you forever. The pleasures of sin cannot do that.

I was so much like you. Reading your story here is like reading my own story...except I repented of my sins and believed on Jesus Christ and now He is my life and I have eternal life and money can't buy what I have, and nothing can take it away from me.

The one thing you can never have access to by anything you do is eternal life. You can't earn it, you can't buy it, and you can't hold onto it without God. He wants to give you eternal life. He wants you to know He loves you. He wants you to be His child forever, He wants you to know Him as your Heavenly Father and Jesus as your Heavenly and Earthly friend. That's why He came down from heaven and died in your place.

I don't wan't to fight with you. Reading your post here is soooo much like reading my own story before I repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and He saved me from Hell and gave me eternal life. I am fully satisfied and content knowing Him, except for one thing.......I want to me more like Him, and I know I will be like Him completely when I see Him face to face.

No offense, but there is a time a place for this and it is not here. This is a debate on whether money can buy happiness. Not your personal beliefs. For that sort of thing please take it to the religion forum. While I respect your opinion please don't put it here.
hayhen13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:56:25 PM

True, but quality happiness has to be acquired though ones self, not currency. This takes it to the personal definition of happiness. This is interestingly debated in books such as Farenheit 451, the people are happy, but not quality happiness. Interesting.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:18:10 PM
At 12/26/2014 7:35:02 PM, Rubikx wrote:

Yeah, but things you enjoy aren't necessarily a source of happiness.

I mean, sure, there's that momentary happiness one gets from having something they want, but I wouldn't say that they are actually, in generally, happy.

Personally I don't know any extremely rich people. But thats more a matter of poor parenting rather then just a general lack of appreciation.

Whether or not they stay rich isn't the point. The money that they had brought them happiness for a short time. I never said money can buy life long happiness.

Yeah, but what kind of happiness? Like, the superficial happiness that come from giving kids toys and candy, or the actual happiness that comes from doing something you love, or that which makes your life feel meaningful?

Personally, I don't know. But I assume its either because they enjoy working and/or making more money.

Neither one of those things make it seem as though money is buying them much happiness.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:24:47 PM

It can up to a certain point. But once you pass the point of financial security and comfortable living the extra money doesn't increase happiness.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 11:11:38 AM
At 12/26/2014 10:18:10 PM, Such wrote:
At 12/26/2014 7:35:02 PM, Rubikx wrote:

Yeah, but things you enjoy aren't necessarily a source of happiness.

I mean, sure, there's that momentary happiness one gets from having something they want, but I wouldn't say that they are actually, in generally, happy.

thats what happiness is though. Its a momentary emotion. Happiness isn't permanent.

Yeah, but what kind of happiness? Like, the superficial happiness that come from giving kids toys and candy, or the actual happiness that comes from doing something you love, or that which makes your life feel meaningful?

The quality of the happiness isn't my point. Even that superficial happiness is still happiness. And it was brought to them by money. Thus money bought them happiness.

Neither one of those things make it seem as though money is buying them much happiness.

As with any idea, there will always be outlying data. It would be almost entirely impossible to find an philosophical idea that not one person doesn't disagree with or not follow. There will always be people who don't fit in with any idea. These extremely rich people would be an example. Most people would probably be happy with what they have and stop working. However, these individuals keep working. I don't know why. But these few examples don't disprove an idea.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 11:23:46 AM
At 12/27/2014 11:11:38 AM, Rubikx wrote:

thats what happiness is though. Its a momentary emotion. Happiness isn't permanent.

That's not entirely true. People operate on a baseline, rather than beginning from a state of neutrality every day. Sure, there are things they want, and attaining those things will generate a degree of satisfaction, depending on what those things mean to them. But, there is also general life satisfaction, ranging from utter debilitating depression and suicidal tendencies, which usually can't be affected in any way by the attainment of things, to a general state of happiness unswayed by things in general -- it wouldn't really make them much happier to have anything. This happiness baseline usually isn't affected much by things past necessity. This is why studies almost unanimously show that first world countries are the happiest, but that this happiness diminishes with wealth.

The quality of the happiness isn't my point. Even that superficial happiness is still happiness. And it was brought to them by money. Thus money bought them happiness.

But, that's such a narrow view to result in such a statement as generalized as, "money can buy happiness." It's like saying that scratching an inch generates satisfaction and thus happiness, and ticks make you itch, so brief exposure to ticks are a path to happiness. Upon scrutiny, it becomes clear that it's specious. If one were looking for happiness in and of itself, then they likely aren't seeking momentary satisfaction, otherwise they'd seek that specific thing, and not happiness in general. Therefore, in seeking happiness, money is not the answer.

As with any idea, there will always be outlying data. It would be almost entirely impossible to find an philosophical idea that not one person doesn't disagree with or not follow. There will always be people who don't fit in with any idea. These extremely rich people would be an example. Most people would probably be happy with what they have and stop working. However, these individuals keep working. I don't know why. But these few examples don't disprove an idea.

But -- and studies coincide with this -- wealthy people who rely on their money for happiness in general aren't happy. It isn't an outlier, but instead, typical. They need to find another source of their happiness, and only then can their access to human-borne commodity enhance or accent that.

"Libertarian think tank Cato Institute claims that economic freedom correlates strongly with happiness[32] preferably within the context of a western mixed economy, with free press and a democracy. According to certain standards, East European countries (ruled by Communist parties) were less happy than Western ones, even less happy than other equally poor countries.[33]

It has been argued that happiness measures could be used not as a replacement for more traditional measures, but as a supplement.[34] According to professor Edward Glaeser, people constantly make choices that decrease their happiness, because they have also more important aims. Therefore, the government should not decrease the alternatives available for the citizen by patronizing them but let the citizen keep a maximal freedom of choice.[35]"

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:37:02 PM

Some interesting thoughts to consider...
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:39:59 PM

Nop. happiness is derived from love and security. if you remove negative feelings like insecurity envy fear in your life, and increase loving people and be self confident you are the happiest perosn in the world

thats why many religious people are more happy then others, because they fucosing on love brotherhood loving for others what you love for your self, being sympathy and especially God roles a major point here... believe in God and trusting him gives you strength power hope love with any circumstance.

so if you ask me dont waste time on stupid things just smile always and you got it baby.
Never fart near dog
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:50:23 PM

You've already pretty much nailed it but here are some additional thoughts.
Some people can find happiness in just having more money. I'm a treasure hunter and I've kept the vast majority of the coins I've found with my metal detector. They are not worth anymore than any other coins - but they do brink some level of 'happiness.'

Beyond that, with money comes security and the ability to afford better health care, nicer clothing, hygiene products and other things that can make you feel better about yourself, give you more time to travel and experience those things that gives you happiness, etc.

Obviously, if not properly managed, money can play a role in making a person very un-happy too.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 12:48:17 PM
At 12/27/2014 11:23:46 AM, Such wrote:
At 12/27/2014 11:11:38 AM, Rubikx wrote:

That's not entirely true. People operate on a baseline, rather than beginning from a state of neutrality every day. Sure, there are things they want, and attaining those things will generate a degree of satisfaction, depending on what those things mean to them. But, there is also general life satisfaction, ranging from utter debilitating depression and suicidal tendencies, which usually can't be affected in any way by the attainment of things, to a general state of happiness unswayed by things in general -- it wouldn't really make them much happier to have anything. This happiness baseline usually isn't affected much by things past necessity. This is why studies almost unanimously show that first world countries are the happiest, but that this happiness diminishes with wealth.

But, that's such a narrow view to result in such a statement as generalized as, "money can buy happiness." It's like saying that scratching an inch generates satisfaction and thus happiness, and ticks make you itch, so brief exposure to ticks are a path to happiness. Upon scrutiny, it becomes clear that it's specious. If one were looking for happiness in and of itself, then they likely aren't seeking momentary satisfaction, otherwise they'd seek that specific thing, and not happiness in general. Therefore, in seeking happiness, money is not the answer.

But -- and studies coincide with this -- wealthy people who rely on their money for happiness in general aren't happy. It isn't an outlier, but instead, typical. They need to find another source of their happiness, and only then can their access to human-borne commodity enhance or accent that.

"Libertarian think tank Cato Institute claims that economic freedom correlates strongly with happiness[32] preferably within the context of a western mixed economy, with free press and a democracy. According to certain standards, East European countries (ruled by Communist parties) were less happy than Western ones, even less happy than other equally poor countries.[33]

It has been argued that happiness measures could be used not as a replacement for more traditional measures, but as a supplement.[34] According to professor Edward Glaeser, people constantly make choices that decrease their happiness, because they have also more important aims. Therefore, the government should not decrease the alternatives available for the citizen by patronizing them but let the citizen keep a maximal freedom of choice.[35]"

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I suppose you have a point, but momentary happiness (even if it leads directly to sorrow) is still happiness. I think there's a big difference between happiness and joy. Happiness, as I said before, is a temporary emotion. Whereas joy is being optimistic, always finding the silver lining and just accepting situations as they are and not getting upset over it.

Its hard to quantify the level and quality of happiness though. There is no uniform level of happiness for every person. Its all relative. So one persons happiness is not the same as another's. Its just like pain. If you are hurt and go to the hospital you may hear "one a scale of one to ten how much does it hurt". This is a totally relative question. My 3 may be your 9. There is no actual way to realistically measure happiness.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 8:45:14 PM
Can money buy happiness? Only for people who are financially responsible. People who are financially responsible pretty much have their act together anyway. So the more money the merrier. Money will never buy happiness for a poor person who tries to live like a millionaire, They will be far worse off if they had no money at all.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 8:48:23 PM
In my own case, money doesn't just buy happiness; it is happiness. I feel a very close affinity for it, I enjoy working with it, I love having it, and I relish counting it.

To me, money, properly applied, is power. Power is the ability to control one's environment, usually in service to one's interests. There are plenty of powerless rich people--people who, despite wielding massive capital, are nevertheless miserable and despondent, or at least, in some crucial respect, fatally unfulfilled--and they can spend themselves to death in the hope that adorning themselves with material comforts will eventually herald satisfaction. I always think of the image of listless heirs to large fortunes--specifically, those who squander their inheritance in fits of prodigal hedonism. Woe to them who never experience or understand the sensation of having accomplished something significant.

What's really in question, it seems to me, is the role of money. Some see it as something worth accruing for its own sake, something whose final tally is the last word on a life's value. Some just see it as a point system subject to certain requirements, e.g., eating, paying bills, etc. Some see it as an evil, a metric which nullifies the value of the things whose exchange it mediates. Then, of course, you have those who see it in a strictly economic sense--a non-perishable storehouse of surplus value, a more or less liquid medium, that kind of thing. And so it goes.

I say that I see it as power, and I should clarify: it is certainly not identical to political authority, or physical strength, or personal charisma; rather, I think of money as a physical embodiment of potentiality, of pure "to be able to", or, more clumsily, "can-ness". This is true not merely in the sense that the rich are able to do more than the poor, though this is certainly important, but in the sense also of gauging a person's soul insofar as money, being possibility, reveals a person through the fashion in which it is used. It can be accrued to service misery, or expended to disguise it; it can be used to buy a host of useless knickknacks, or to start a business; it can be used to enhance friendships, or simulate them. Whether money can produce happiness depends exclusively on who wields it; it should be clear, in any case, that money, as well as everything it can obtain, is infinitely incapable of substituting itself for happiness. A man can be happy whether rich or poor; however, supposing such a person already has a life structured to permit happiness, the pure potentiality afforded by money can only enhance his happiness by offering an avenue for more sophisticated material satisfaction.

Money, fundamentally, is an instrument, and may be the root of joy just as easily as of evil. Me? I like earning money. I like spending it on worthwhile things--I like to buy friends drinks, dinners. I like to make a bartender's night by leaving a great tip. I like to take vacations in pleasant places, to eat delicious food, to go to amazing clubs open until 5:00 AM. I would love to have enough to fly to space, or even to several places on every continent. I like to wear well-made suits that fit me well. I like to buy journal articles hidden behind an awful paywall. I like to buy old books just to read pieces of history. A Rule I've promised is to take care of myself and my people. Money is of great help in doing so. Let it not remain unsaid that those who proclaim that money is of no use to happiness evidently have not even the first clue either of how to be happy nor what a happy man, enabled by capital, can accomplish.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 8:51:00 PM

No.

"friends you make when you're poor are more genuine than those you make when you're rich."

That's complete BS. How you pick your friends and what you call a friend is what determines who your friends are. Rich or poor has nothing to do with it. Your character attracts what kind of friends you will have. You will attract exactly what you are.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%