Is it moral to make Man-Animal Hybrids?

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:21:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/30/2014 6:55:39 PM, hayhen13 wrote:
I say no, but I thought this would be interesting. Is it morally humanly correct?

What even is a man-animal hybrid?
Nolite Timere
Range
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 5:46:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Which is more important, though, the making of these creatures or the life that they then have to live (or get to)?

Sure, let's make/build/create whatever we want. No one can stop that. Some mad scientist will try, has tried it, it doesn't matter. If someone is poised to make it, then it'll be made. The creation itself is not under any dispute.
Let's look at a hypothetical situation. Henry the scientist is all cheery, yelling, "Hey Frank, look what I made! It's an adorable puppy with human ears and feet because I happen to have those fetishes!" Henry had a selfish yet mildly understandable purpose, and although we would very well like to admonish him, he is morally sound in creating whatever he wants IF he is prepared to take care of the thing.
However Henry is no such prepared person. He hasn't even had a pet in his life. So he says, be free, my fetish! And off the slightly-grown up puppy goes. He is a strong semi-canine, so don't worry about his survival skills, but his social skills are rather lacking.
This semi-canine, let's call him Footy, has a huge obstacle in the way of making friends or finding a mate. Although his traits of having human ears and feet are non-inherent and this altered DNA is not present in his gametes, no female looks his way, and some gag. Poor Footy.

It is not the process we have to apply moral judgement to, rather the consequences.
I don't care if all strange manners of experiments start cropping up all over the place as long as responsibility for their livelihoods is in the hands of someone who won't throw it away into a lonely world like Footy's.

My conclusion is that it is moral to create whatever you want, but it is immoral to not shoulder the consequences of your decision.
(Relation: The monster would have had a perfectly fine, daisy-sniffing life if Dr. Frankenstein had cared for him.)
Anything can be justified. You just need a solid framework and some duct tape.