Jump to topic:

Is time travel a paradox?

ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 10:00:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Does the grandfather paradox mean that time travel is impossible?

First example: say I travel back in time and shoot my grandfather when he was 12 years old. He dies and never marries my grandmother, who therefore never has my mom, who never has me. So it's impossible for me to kill my grandfather before he fathers my mother, since my existence demands that he survive the shooting.

Second example: since I doubt many people would go back in time with the express purpose of killing their ancestor to test this paradox, let's take another milder situation. I travel back in time to the prehistoric era, where my time machine lands on a small rabbit and kills it. That one rabbit was later on going to be the food source for a caveman, who now starves since he has nothing to eat. Or he has to go hunt larger game, and gets gored by a buffalo, or whatever. The death of this caveman leads to a different tribe winning the upcoming battle, and it changes the course of world history to the extent that I am never born, or the cold war turns hot and humanity nukes itself to extinction before we can discover time travel.

Thoughts? As far as I can see, the only possible way to accept the possibility of time travel would be if you believe there are an infinite number of universes, where you can travel through time and every time you do so, you either create a new universe or go to an already existing one, where you don't have to worry about paradoxes like these. But I'm curious as to what others think
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 10:33:21 PM
At 1/2/2015 10:00:38 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

First example: say I travel back in time and shoot my grandfather when he was 12 years old. He dies and never marries my grandmother, who therefore never has my mom, who never has me. So it's impossible for me to kill my grandfather before he fathers my mother, since my existence demands that he survive the shooting.

I never quite understood this or why it is a paradox. Let's assume there is only one universe or world line and no others that can be created (i.e. a loop).

People usually argue that it will go like this:

1. You kill your grandfather.
2. You are never born.
3. If you were never born, you couldn't have gone back to kill your grandfather.
4. Your grandfather exists.
5. Repeat

But at number 3, it doesn't really apply. The second you kill your grandfather, you are something that no longer exists, but the grandfather will remain dead, resulting in a new past that is currently the present, since you went back to the past, making it the present. The future would become uncertain again, so anything could happen and the past could be changed. The former present that you existed in before you time travelled (e.g. the future) would not be co-existing with the past that you are in (which is the new present), and it would be a matter of uncertainty, subject to any new actions you make in the new present.

I know that sounds like gibberish, but it actually means something lol. If you read it slowly and try to understand, it makes sense. I'll try explaining slightly differently.

By "former present," I mean the time you were in before time traveling. After you time travel, you've gone back into the past; however, this past is now the present for you (so it's called the "new present"). The future is ahead and is the same as the "former present" you were in, but it doesn't co-exist with the "new present." This means that any actions you take that change the "new present" will change the "former present" (i.e. the future) to something different, as you exist entirely within that timeline due to your time traveling back into the past.

Thoughts? As far as I can see, the only possible way to accept the possibility of time travel would be if you believe there are an infinite number of universes, where you can travel through time and every time you do so, you either create a new universe or go to an already existing one, where you don't have to worry about paradoxes like these. But I'm curious as to what others think

Yeah, I was going to say that it's also possible there are other world lines that people travel along with time travel, or an infinite number of universes as you call it.

But that always raises the question, why have we not had any time travelers come to us? Or have they? John Titor? Maybe they haven't announced themselves? Or maybe they did come back to us, but in a different world line.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 12:05:44 AM

Second example: since I doubt many people would go back in time with the express purpose of killing their ancestor to test this paradox, let's take another milder situation. I travel back in time to the prehistoric era, where my time machine lands on a small rabbit and kills it. That one rabbit was later on going to be the food source for a caveman, who now starves since he has nothing to eat. Or he has to go hunt larger game, and gets gored by a buffalo, or whatever. The death of this caveman leads to a different tribe winning the upcoming battle, and it changes the course of world history to the extent that I am never born, or the cold war turns hot and humanity nukes itself to extinction before we can discover time travel.

My theory is that time travel is the sole means by which new universes are created.

My reasoning is that the "infinite universes" theory is one that arises out of necessity to justify time travel. If it is a construct of necessity, then there need not be another cause for it.

Now I will explain why a new universe is created. If you kill your grandfather, then you have created a world in which you are not born. However, the bullet in you grandfathers skull is clear evidence that you were, in fact, born. The moment that your particular combination of atoms could not exist turns you from an object within the universe to a "foreign" actor, if you will. The "foreign" actor has to come from somewhere, and that "somewhere" would have to be a universe in which you could exist.

Basically, what happens is that you've caused too contradictory chains of causality, and since the entirety of existence is literally cause and effect, you have, by definition, created another existence.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 3:10:06 AM
I got 2 books on the philosophy and physics of time for Xmas, so after I read the others on my list I'll get back to you...
President of DDO
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:02:51 AM

Or...

You go back in time and TRY to kill your granpa but inevitably fail...
since, clearly you failed, as you're alive!

your Present life is a function of your Future self having gone back in time to affect your past :)

not a one-way kind of dependency..
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 2:42:35 PM
2 answers to the paradox.

1) Parallel universe hypothesis
2) My IB-Theory of Time that I am developing
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 6:19:38 PM

You are correct. It is only because there are different world lines that we can time-travel without having to worry about paradoxes like the ones you outlined (I've done it, trust me) the problem then becomes "how do you go back to your original world-line?" However, I must warn you that it is still a dangerous and traumatic experience, but that is beside the point.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 6:40:04 PM
At 1/3/2015 6:19:38 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:
You are correct. It is only because there are different world lines that we can time-travel without having to worry about paradoxes like the ones you outlined (I've done it, trust me) the problem then becomes "how do you go back to your original world-line?" However, I must warn you that it is still a dangerous and traumatic experience, but that is beside the point.

Wow. Did you make your account just to answer time travel posts on DDO? XD
Senpai has noticed you.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 6:45:06 PM
At 1/3/2015 6:40:04 PM, Beginner wrote:

Mwahahahaha! By no means, dear sir. I just saw the topic, the OP, and then I couldn't resist, I had to take the opportunity. Mwahahahaha!
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:08:33 AM
At 1/2/2015 10:33:21 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

I never quite understood this or why it is a paradox. Let's assume there is only one universe or world line and no others that can be created (i.e. a loop).

2. You are never born.
3. If you were never born, you couldn't have gone back to kill your grandfather.
5. Repeat

But at number 3, it doesn't really apply. The second you kill your grandfather, you are something that no longer exists, but the grandfather will remain dead, resulting in a new past that is currently the present, since you went back to the past, making it the present. The future would become uncertain again, so anything could happen and the past could be changed. The former present that you existed in before you time travelled (e.g. the future) would not be co-existing with the past that you are in (which is the new present), and it would be a matter of uncertainty, subject to any new actions you make in the new present.

I know that sounds like gibberish, but it actually means something lol. If you read it slowly and try to understand, it makes sense. I'll try explaining slightly differently.

By "former present," I mean the time you were in before time traveling. After you time travel, you've gone back into the past; however, this past is now the present for you (so it's called the "new present"). The future is ahead and is the same as the "former present" you were in, but it doesn't co-exist with the "new present." This means that any actions you take that change the "new present" will change the "former present" (i.e. the future) to something different, as you exist entirely within that timeline due to your time traveling back into the past.

Yeah, I was going to say that it's also possible there are other world lines that people travel along with time travel, or an infinite number of universes as you call it.

But that always raises the question, why have we not had any time travelers come to us? Or have they? John Titor? Maybe they haven't announced themselves? Or maybe they did come back to us, but in a different world line.

Actually that makes perfect sense to me.

And I think you almost have the complete idea of curved space time. But essentially that is kind of what happens. There is no paradox. Once int he past your in the past and move forward. But even stranger is that even if there is one timeline, quantumly you are entropic to another temporal state and are in a kind of juxtaposition with the temporal state that could occur from killing your grandfather.

Anyways No paradox.
http://www.scientificamerican.com...
http://www.colorado.edu...
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 4:55:31 PM
At 1/3/2015 6:45:06 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

Mwahahahaha! By no means, dear sir. I just saw the topic, the OP, and then I couldn't resist, I had to take the opportunity. Mwahahahaha!

*looks left*

*looks right*

El Psy Congroo
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:13:33 PM
At 1/4/2015 4:55:31 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/3/2015 6:45:06 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

*looks left*

*looks right*

El Psy Congroo

Hello! PeacefulChaos, I dub thee: lab member 009, P-Chaos! Mwahhahahaha!

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:16:32 PM
At 1/2/2015 10:33:21 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

2. You are never born.
5. Repeat

Perhaps there are time-travelers among us, but who--apart from yours truly--would be so bold as to announce to the world that they have achieved a feat that almost everyone believes is impossible? And perhaps there are an infinite number of time-travelers in an infinite number of world-lines, though I would think that their ability to time-travel would be limited in the time-range in which they can travel.

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:18:02 PM
At 1/4/2015 2:08:33 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Anyways No paradox.

I think it's interesting that we can use this to solve the problem of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle by producing two identical systems.

Anyway, I'm glad you posted the second link that has the actual report. It made more sense than the article to me, since it explained that the event of absorbing particles from the L-beam did not require a future input.

Although, I do have some questions about their conclusion. What does "information" have to do with entropy in the sense of what we know? Entropy is determined by microstates. A greater number of microstates means that there is a greater entropy in the system. Is this what they mean by information? Then why do they say time travel into the past is impossible unless the time-travelers memory is wiped?

To expand on this, I'd agree that the past has a lower number of microstates, since the past has already occurred and thus, technically speaking, has only 1 microstate (that which has already happened). The future, however, always has more microstates than the past, unless you were to know what happens in the future; however, by going back in time, you won't know what will happen in the future, because your actions will change the future. It will become uncertain once again. The past that you now exist in (e.g. the present) will be subject to your actions once more.

The last thing I am confused about is what they mean by time symmetric causality. I'm not familiar with that term.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:31:09 PM
At 1/4/2015 2:08:33 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Anyways No paradox.

To continue with my previous post, I just realized something.

This sounds extremely similar to wave function collapse (which I am not very familiar with, but I understand the very basic idea of it). By observing a quantum system, wave function collapse occurs and a certain event will happen. Without observation, any possibilities could have happened (e.g. the double slit experiment and interference patterns). Is this at all similar to us interacting with the future (which is uncertain) and observing it, or are the two not even comparable?

As I said, I only have a basic understanding of these things, so it's still a little odd to me.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:40:38 PM

You can travel forward in time through the use of things like black holes, but you can't travel back in time. The theory of relativity states that time only flows in one direction: forwards. http://science.howstuffworks.com... http://science.howstuffworks.com... http://www.astronomycafe.net... https://www.youtube.com... http://www.dailygalaxy.com... http://www.dummies.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:53:24 PM
I talked about time travel the other day and came to the conclusion that it would infact be very difficult to change future events by going back in time. Even if your goal was to change future events it would take some time to even get the means the money and even find the people or places that you would effect. You couldn't amass too much money to fast or you will draw suspicion. You most likely could not get access to a tyrant like Hitler or some other tyrant person. It would be very hard to change future events. Think about it. You might make infinitesimal changes to peoples lives who history never knew or never remembered. But to make world history change would be very difficult.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:33:36 PM
At 1/4/2015 6:53:24 PM, sadolite wrote:
I talked about time travel the other day and came to the conclusion that it would infact be very difficult to change future events by going back in time. Even if your goal was to change future events it would take some time to even get the means the money and even find the people or places that you would effect. You couldn't amass too much money to fast or you will draw suspicion. You most likely could not get access to a tyrant like Hitler or some other tyrant person. It would be very hard to change future events. Think about it. You might make infinitesimal changes to peoples lives who history never knew or never remembered. But to make world history change would be very difficult.

Pretty easy to call in a bomb threat to the WTC the morning of 9/11.

Wouldn't be hard to kill Hitler pre-WW1
Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 12:02:44 AM

I think you can only get ahead of time, and can never go back. Even that takes such a great deal of energy that it is rather pointless. If you could go into the future, who would be there. Everyone is living in the here and the now.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:11:17 AM
At 1/4/2015 5:40:38 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

You can travel forward in time through the use of things like black holes, but you can't travel back in time. The theory of relativity states that time only flows in one direction: forwards. http://science.howstuffworks.com... http://science.howstuffworks.com... http://www.astronomycafe.net... https://www.youtube.com... http://www.dailygalaxy.com... http://www.dummies.com...

From the articles you've posted and others that I've read, there isn't anything that contradicts the possibility of going back in time (only the concept of cause and effect that makes it seem irrational, but that isn't a very convincing argument against time travel to me).

Close linked time curves, Kerr black holes, or wormholes all present possibilities of going back in time. While not confirmed, they are still entirely possible.

If anything, it seems that Einstein's theory of general relativity does not contradict going back in time, but rather leaves it as an open possibility.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:47:59 AM
At 1/5/2015 9:45:35 AM, AngelofDeath wrote:
This got me thinking about XMEN: Days of Future Past

......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`"lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll"`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.("`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`",*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)"`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|........."```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:49:02 AM
At 1/5/2015 9:47:59 AM, RevNge wrote:

......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`"lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll"`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.("`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`",*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)"`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|........."```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

Don't judge me, i'm BASIC!!!! I LIKE STARBUCKS AND-- no wait, i hate salads....
I may or may not be a cat
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:51:52 AM
At 1/5/2015 9:49:02 AM, AngelofDeath wrote:

Me too! :3
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:53:03 AM
At 1/5/2015 9:51:52 AM, RevNge wrote:

We can be basic bitches together! <3 #basicftw
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:53:40 AM
At 1/5/2015 9:53:03 AM, AngelofDeath wrote:

*sigh* I mean I hate salads. I hate Starbucks too.

*headdesk*
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:00:27 AM
At 1/5/2015 9:53:40 AM, RevNge wrote:

*headdesk*

c

Fine then.... I officially retract your Sisterhood. That means no refunds for the dues you paid and you will have to give back the Mockingjay pin we issue out to Sisters. Also, you may want to run very fast, very far, because sisters who ditch end up in ditches.... o.O

....Still too harsh? I'm trying to get the hang of sounding intimidating without being too overboard...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:02:04 AM
At 1/5/2015 10:00:27 AM, AngelofDeath wrote:

*headdesk*

--------> :c

Fine then.... I officially retract your Sisterhood. That means no refunds for the dues you paid and you will have to give back the Mockingjay pin we issue out to Sisters. Also, you may want to run very fast, very far, because sisters who ditch end up in ditches.... o.O

Cute wordplay.
....Still too harsh? I'm trying to get the hang of sounding intimidating without being too overboard...

Nah, you sound just as disturbingly creepy as you and all kitties usually do. O_O
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:03:44 AM
At 1/5/2015 10:02:04 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/5/2015 10:00:27 AM, AngelofDeath wrote:

*headdesk*

--------> :c

Cute wordplay.
I try, i try... XD

Nah, you sound just as disturbingly creepy as you and all kitties usually do. O_O

Good ^_^
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:52:48 AM
Reminds me of a line from a movie. We all have our time machines. The ones that take us to the past are memories and the ones that take us to the future are dreams.