Possible Worlds

Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 7:38:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello!

I want to discuss the idea and nature of possible worlds. Some of the points I want some input on are as follows...

Are possible worlds purely theoretical? Can they exist? Do they?

Is there benefit to thinking about possible worlds and applying philosophical principles to them? Or are they mere frivilous speculation?

Are possible worlds a type of alternate dimension?

I think the idea of a grand cosmic narrative in which possible worlds weave themselves throughout and give a portrait of every possibility is rather intriguing and beautiful but I want to discuss the finer points more.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:07:40 PM
At 1/6/2015 7:38:43 PM, Clovis wrote:
Hello!

I want to discuss the idea and nature of possible worlds. Some of the points I want some input on are as follows...

Is there benefit to thinking about possible worlds and applying philosophical principles to them? Or are they mere frivilous speculation?

I think the idea of a grand cosmic narrative in which possible worlds weave themselves throughout and give a portrait of every possibility is rather intriguing and beautiful but I want to discuss the finer points more.

Numerous exoplanets are confirmed to exist.
http://exoplanet.eu...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:08:39 PM
At 1/6/2015 8:07:40 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Hello!

I'm sorry, I don't think you understand what I mean by possible worlds.

Possible worlds are hypothetical universes that COULD exist. For example, if I have a choice between driving to work or biking to work and I choose to drive, there is a possible world in which I bike to work instead.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 2:38:53 AM

Are possible worlds purely theoretical?

No. The actual world is, by definition, one of the possible worlds, so they are not always purely theoretical.

Can they exist?

By definition, yes.

Do they?

One does.

Defining what's possible helps us to understand what exists. They're also integral to the understanding of modal logic.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 4:33:30 PM
Hello!

The idea of a possible world as a real possibility is nonsense. The sum of all things cannot be affected by anything else, it cannot be in a causal relationship with anything else, since there is nothing else. Therefore any possible world is purely imaginary, there being no possibility of reality being different. 'Possibility' just describes empirical ignorance of what reality actually is. The coin was always going to land on heads, since there is nothing that can alter the course of reality, but we don't know what the course of reality is, so we must call things 'possibilities', since they are possibly what must happen.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 5:28:37 PM
At 1/6/2015 8:07:40 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Hello!

"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 5:30:29 PM
Hello!

Are possible worlds purely theoretical?

Yes, possible worlds are purely theoretical.

Can they exist?

They can exist (hence, possible).

Do they?

Some maybe, if multiverses exist.

Is there benefit to thinking about possible worlds and applying philosophical principles to them?

Yes.

Or are they mere frivilous speculation?

Is it frivolous to believe that if I withhold food from my dog he will starve, even though this is based on speculation? Or must I actually withhold food from my dog so I can empirically see him starve?

This same principle applies to possible worlds.

Not really. Possible worlds are just meant to demonstrate "what could be." The concept of possible worlds is no different from the Aristotelian concept of potency (potential).

Nolite Timere