Jump to topic:

Will total world peace ever exist?

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:38:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Firstly, I would like to point out by "total world peace" I mean no war in which a government, political party or international corporation is not in a armed conflict. I am excluding personal fights and small tribe wars in remote regions of the earth. As they are impossible to ensure that they aren't happening somewhere.

Personally I don't think there will ever be consistent world peace. Humans are just naturally drawn to conflicts.

Secondly, I want to your thoughts on another idea. World peace, if it is ever achieved, will only come about because one side of the conflict is obliterated. The only way to world peace is through war and ultimately total annihilation of opposing ideas.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:53:49 AM
At 1/6/2015 9:38:04 PM, Rubikx wrote:
Firstly, I would like to point out by "total world peace" I mean no war in which a government, political party or international corporation is not in a armed conflict. I am excluding personal fights and small tribe wars in remote regions of the earth. As they are impossible to ensure that they aren't happening somewhere.

Personally I don't think there will ever be consistent world peace. Humans are just naturally drawn to conflicts.

Secondly, I want to your thoughts on another idea. World peace, if it is ever achieved, will only come about because one side of the conflict is obliterated. The only way to world peace is through war and ultimately total annihilation of opposing ideas.

Total world peace is possible. Conflicts emerge through communication, or lack there of. Peace can be acquired through communication more often than violence.
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 11:40:22 AM
At 1/7/2015 9:53:49 AM, pozessed wrote:

Total world peace is possible. Conflicts emerge through communication, or lack there of. Peace can be acquired through communication more often than violence.

I don't think world peace is possible.

Do you want to debate the issue? Total World Peace Is Possible? You'd be Pro I'd be Con?
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:36:11 PM
At 1/7/2015 11:40:22 AM, Clovis wrote:

Do you want to debate the issue? Total World Peace Is Possible? You'd be Pro I'd be Con?

It kinda depends on what you define as peace. Is peace where everyone agree's and doesn't fight. Or can you define peace as no one is fighting because they are so restricted that they aren't able to fight. Is the inability to make war the same thing as deciding not to make war.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:02:46 PM
World peace is absolutely possible. The barrier to world peace is human stubborn and willful idiocy!

I predict that as the world gets smaller (even more better traveled) and international law begins to affirm itself like never before (yup! That's direction the world is headed, believe it or not. Thank goodness!) the possibility for world peace will become stronger. As it begins to dawn on dictators that there are things they simply should not do (or face the wrath of the world), the world will slowly become safer and civilizing laws will affirm themselves around the world.

It'll take time, but world peace is going to happen eventually, especially as the world community gets better at enacting collective punishments, like sanctions.

The possibility of world peace will increase as the world grows tighter. That's not to say that there wont be differences of opinion, belief, or culture (there absolutely will be). But what will grow will be a collective desire for law and order internationally, in order to increase the quality of global life and general happiness.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:04:20 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:02:46 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
World peace is absolutely possible. The barrier to world peace is human stubborn and willful idiocy!

I predict that as the world gets smaller (even more better traveled) and international law begins to affirm itself like never before (yup! That's direction the world is headed, believe it or not. Thank goodness!) the possibility for world peace will become stronger. As it begins to dawn on dictators that there are things they simply should not do (or face the wrath of the world), the world will slowly become safer and civilizing laws will affirm themselves around the world.

It'll take time, but world peace is going to happen eventually, especially as the world community gets better at enacting collective punishments, like sanctions.

The possibility of world peace will increase as the world grows tighter. That's not to say that there wont be differences of opinion, belief, or culture (there absolutely will be). But what will grow will be a collective desire for law and order internationally, in order to increase the quality of global life and general happiness.

stubborn = stubborness
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:23:57 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:04:20 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

stubborn = stubborness

But the barrier of human stubbornness and wilful idiocy is an extremely large barrier. I doubt there will ever be a time at which the entire population of earth respects everyone else's opinions so much that they are unwilling to create conflict with them. Especially when it comes to economic stability of individual countries.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:33:47 PM
At 1/7/2015 8:23:57 PM, Rubikx wrote:

stubborn = stubborness

But the barrier of human stubbornness and wilful idiocy is an extremely large barrier. I doubt there will ever be a time at which the entire population of earth respects everyone else's opinions so much that they are unwilling to create conflict with them. Especially when it comes to economic stability of individual countries.

There will always be governments and leaders that will push buttons and try to ram their agenda on the world, through military force or the threat of military force, just like there will always be individuals that will threaten or use violence to get what they demand. But, overall, countries and leaders will unite to establish law and order, much like people in the past have united to establish law and order. I think we pursue peace, law, and order because it presence us with the highest likelihood at improving the quality of life, or realizing our dreams, and genuinely making us happy. Sure, many in the past have used power and the law to subjugate others. History is full of this. But eventually providing others with greater rights has won through, because we all kind of realize that it's possible for a single nation or group of people to hold all the power and bully others into submission. So we humans do is they unite and form governments, coalitions, united international bodies, so that they can each get a little power themselves and experience the "good life".

I think this is the direction in which humanity can only go, if it wants to avert outright extinction through violent power games. In other words, the road of peace, compromise, and shared power is the only life-affirming road to take. All other roads lead to assured destruction.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:35:36 PM
At 1/7/2015 8:33:47 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

stubborn = stubborness

There will always be governments and leaders that will push buttons and try to ram their agenda on the world, through military force or the threat of military force, just like there will always be individuals that will threaten or use violence to get what they demand. But, overall, countries and leaders will unite to establish law and order, much like people in the past have united to establish law and order. I think we pursue peace, law, and order because it presence us with the highest likelihood at improving the quality of life, or realizing our dreams, and genuinely making us happy. Sure, many in the past have used power and the law to subjugate others. History is full of this. But eventually providing others with greater rights has won through, because we all kind of realize that it's possible for a single nation or group of people to hold all the power and bully others into submission. So we humans do is they unite and form governments, coalitions, united international bodies, so that they can each get a little power themselves and experience the "good life".

I think this is the direction in which humanity can only go, if it wants to avert outright extinction through violent power games. In other words, the road of peace, compromise, and shared power is the only life-affirming road to take. All other roads lead to assured destruction.

presence = presents
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:38:57 PM

stubborn = stubborness

Correction:

"But eventually providing others with greater rights has won through, because we all kind of realize that it's IMpossible for a single nation or group of people to hold all the power and bully others into submission"
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:46:52 PM

stubborn = stubborness

But even if the world as a whole stops individual leaders and armies from attempting to subvert a global government, that is still conflict. Even if the world government is victorious, they still had to engage in conflict, so world peace would not be kept.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:59:44 PM
Will total world peace ever exist? Well if one learns from history yes Unfortunately nothing is ever learned from history, so no, there will never be peace. History is doomed to repeat itself for as long as people think they are entitled to another mans wealth and power over them. Absolute power absolutely corrupts. The concept of world peace implies absolute power.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:08:36 PM
At 1/7/2015 5:36:11 PM, Rubikx wrote:

It kinda depends on what you define as peace. Is peace where everyone agree's and doesn't fight. Or can you define peace as no one is fighting because they are so restricted that they aren't able to fight. Is the inability to make war the same thing as deciding not to make war.

Which were you talking about?
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:43:11 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:08:36 PM, Clovis wrote:

I was talking about where everyone agrees not to fight. Although I think the other will be more likely.
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:52:04 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:43:11 PM, Rubikx wrote:

I was talking about where everyone agrees not to fight. Although I think the other will be more likely.

Well I'd debate that. I still don't think everyone would agree not to fight.
Words are wind.

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 10:36:57 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:52:04 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/7/2015 9:43:11 PM, Rubikx wrote:

Well I'd debate that. I still don't think everyone would agree not to fight.

Same, so it would be kinda a lame debate if we both agree at the start of it.
Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 11:17:01 PM
You should ask after the possibility of inner, psychological peace. What is forever seen in history is the inability of people to deal with the daily injustice they are forced to suffer. While their suffering is immoral, and caused by their own community and countrymen, it is thought equally evil to revolt and re-establish a natural morality. Instead, people suffering injustice at home export that injustice, and having lost all at home go to take what belongs to others. Most people would find they have enough, even plenty, if others among them did not immorally exploit them and rob from them.

Look at the Peloponnesian War. The injustice began with the reduction of women to a state just above slavery. Female babies were so commonly exposed that many households fell empty for want of a wife. War for Attica was pushed by the poor, and the rabble, while the rich had no reason to fight. What did the poor have to lose after all?
It was for this reason that Socrates hated democrats and democracy. He was wrong to presume that the rich having taken the wealth of society for themselves were better able to govern. He should have realized a few wealthy people did not a wealthy society make; and that a relative few with wealth were in no position to defend even themselves or their wealth. Consider that this process of wealth taking by a relative few aristocrats is reflected in the fact that Alexander came up against whole armies of Greeks fighting for the Persians. What reason had they to stay home. It wasn't for the women who were worth more as consorts than as wives.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 2:09:50 AM

I'm afraid we will have to agree that we disagree. I don't have much time to deliver a debate.
I've been busy creating a seemingly altruistic marketing business. Which may help or hinder the topic at hand one small section of the world at a time. To which ends I am undecided but still feel it is worthy of a trial.