Jump to topic:

2 things

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:02:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
First, I want someone to teach me modal logic. I understand the basics, but want to understand it more.

Second, I find it annoying when people do not understand modal arguments... Especially when they try and parody them in a way that makes them look like idiots.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:09:54 PM
At 1/14/2015 2:02:07 PM, SNP1 wrote:
First, I want someone to teach me modal logic. I understand the basics, but want to understand it more.

Second, I find it annoying when people do not understand modal arguments... Especially when they try and parody them in a way that makes them look like idiots.

I watched this guy's video series to get a handle on the basics, then I just read up about different modal systems after and learned by text. It's not that hard once you understand the basic operators and axioms.

https://www.youtube.com...

The basic s5 system (which is covered within his 1 hour of lectures) will let you understand Alvin Plantinga's modal argument, as well as 90% of modal arguments used by online apologetics. The more sophisticated systems have applications within computing and mathematics etc.

https://www.youtube.com...

Get pen & paper ready and just copy his notes and it shouldn't take very long to get the main grasp.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 3:06:32 PM
You should first study propositional calculus and first order logic before studying modal logic. Modal logic is one of those fancy logic systems like deontic (Kantian) logic which doesn't have extremely wide applications. I recommend downloading and reading a pdf of Aristotle's organon, where he explains Categories, Interpretations, prior/posterior analytics, topics and fallacies. Covers all the basics you need. modal logic is a lot easier to understand, you'll get more out of studying other logic systems.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 7:25:08 PM

It"s really simple; in a nutshell:
Take the "True" and "False" of normal logic, add "Necessary" and "Possible", and follow these rules:

1) If X is not "Necessary", then not X is "Possible"
2) If X is not "Possible", then not X is "Necessary"

And that"s pretty much it; just remember these rules and always make it about "Possible Worlds", if anyone challenges you, act indignant, scoff and say something snarky to make it look like you get it and they don"t.

Good, acting annoyed is the most important part of modal logic.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 1:33:42 PM
At 1/14/2015 7:25:08 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

It"s really simple; in a nutshell:
Take the "True" and "False" of normal logic, add "Necessary" and "Possible", and follow these rules:

1) If X is not "Necessary", then not X is "Possible"
2) If X is not "Possible", then not X is "Necessary"

Something that is not necessary can still be possible...In some possible world you are a person who knows what he is talking about, but that isn't at all necessary.

And that"s pretty much it; just remember these rules and always make it about "Possible Worlds", if anyone challenges you, act indignant, scoff and say something snarky to make it look like you get it and they don"t.

Good, acting annoyed is the most important part of modal logic.