Jump to topic:

Starting a Philosophy Club at my School

phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 10:44:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm starting a philosophy club at my school. Any ideas for names/activites/jumping points?
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:51:40 PM
At 1/16/2015 10:44:22 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
I'm starting a philosophy club at my school. Any ideas for names/activites/jumping points?

You could name it The Mental Masturbation Society.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
PapaNolan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:53:47 PM

Start out by discussing philosophers, then go to analyzing their philosophies, and next you should create your own philosophies.
Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:26:31 AM

You can try to do this but you are just painting nerd targets on your back. Reading philosophy is like saying you are never ever going to have a pretty girl friend and so you are ready to become a monk, and The Monks might be a good name for your club

No activity is more individualistic in this world than philosophy; and most philosophers have been terrible at relationships. Look at that little douche bag Nietzsche, talking about women. He didn't know anything about women. He was the sort of guy that would go to a brothel and play the piano. Marx had a wife, and Hegel too; maybe a handful of others. Most of them simply could not manage relationships, and that is the skill in life that contributes most to happiness.

If you want to be successful in life and with the ladies, read my debate on the theory of forms. Forms, physical forms and their understanding is essential to all reasoning. Concepts are like identities, or definitions, and do not change. If you are talking about the conservation of mass or momentum, you are talking about identity.

If you are talking about human relationship which are essentially moral relationships then you must understand ethics and morals -and these words, the last one coined by Cicero are synonymous. Again: See my debate for a brief on forms, but in life in all moral relationships you must be aware of moral forms. In talking about physical forms, in some actions and reactions some definitions are conserved, and so static, and some parts are dynamic. For a simple example of conservation. Lines can be compared, cut, doubled, measured but the identity of LINE, is conserved. No matter what dynamic process you put a line through, the line is still a line.

In human relationship we have forms, and moral forms are only slightly less dynamic than the relationships themselves. People do not fight over the definition of a square like they will fight over the definition of justice, when that definition must always remain undefined, and yet we build social forms like law or government , even clubs to give definition to moral forms. What all forms have in common is that they are forms of relationship. People relate through math as much as they relate through marriage. If math is more essential as a form to the understanding of reality, marriage is more important to happiness, (a moral form)- and the continuation of life.

Understand that all forms of relationship have their politics and economies. Marriage has as much politics as any other. If it is inevitable, it is also negotiable. And understand, this is nothing but a brief. You need to understand forms because they have first been a part of the history of philosophy from the beginning, and because we conceive of all reality, even moral reality by way of form. It is important to understand this as only a reference, In the thought of Duns Scotus; between thought and thing there is an abyss of difference (heterogeneity), but there are also points of agreement (Homogeneity), with the bridge between these two called Analogy. And analogy is what we get with our forms, concepts and ideas. If we could conceive of a maggot exactly, we could reproduce one completely. This thought is most important in regard to moral forms, because with these transcendent concepts, if we cannot define an infinite like justice or liberty, as a finite, neither can we create the social form to produce that quality in quantity. We have to leave it to people some times to decide for themselves what is justice, and what is liberty, and what is love.

As you can tell from what I have said; morality is the greatest concern of philosophy, and like the word is a combination of love and knowledge, two forms in and of themselves. Morality is philosophy to me. I just understand it as the most important branch of philosophy, while physic has more followers simply because it is easy.

I wish you had a real philosophy club that was not mired like all such groups in politics and economy. This is a subject that should be taught in grade school. People are taught about many ideas and forms before they ever, and usually by their own effort- get a rational understanding of forms. If I could give you my books, all of them, and my understanding of the subject you could rule your own world. If you just get that all forms are forms of relationship you will be miles ahead. You can judge the quality of every social form by the quality of the relationships of those in it. You can also understand the nature of every relationship by understanding its form. To understand history as a branch of philosophy you must know that the changing of old forms for new, or the destruction of people because their forms could not change- is the story of all of human progress. We have not evolved to the conditions of life, but adapted through forms to all conditions the world over.

If you want suggestions I would start with Aristotle and Plato, and start with newer people like Kant and Heidegger and work these ends together until you meet in the middle ages. I would read the volumes of Will and Ariel Durant for history, because he always ties the philosophy of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity together in each work. History is also philosophy, and Durant is very conscious of this fact. So have fun. I am easy to find; but I have no training. I have read a lot.

Something else I forgot here is the idea of meaning, which is value. Physical forms, the stuff of physics, have a being with a meaning. Moral forms are meanings without being. It is a real detriment to try to treat these two as if the same. If we want life, or liberty or happiness to have a high value and meaning, that is what we must ourselves give to them. And we give that meaning out of the meaning of life which for each of us is the meaning of meanings. Without life, nothing.

Much of philosophy, and philosophical understanding comes from from classification, and definition. There is a world of philosophy in all of our knowledge, but what is it? Try to reconcile what Socrates said; that knowledge is virtue, with what Kant said, that knowledge is judgement with what another unknown said; that knowledge is power. The power that grows out of philosophy, is to me: Self Control, the key to the well lived life. Without virtue and judgement, all the power in the world will not make mankind moral.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 2:46:58 PM

I would simply name it "Philosophy Club". Anything too fancy and you risk scaring people off. As for activities, I would try to leave it as open as possible. Perhaps you could decide ahead of time to discuss a certain philosophy, but I think the fewer "activities" the better. Just have a discussion.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 2:54:50 PM

Name: Philosophy Club (keep it simple).

Where to start is, in itself, something that can be a starting point of discussion.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 3:00:31 PM

Name it "Sophomore's World"
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 3:03:24 PM

Even better.....

(I Kant get no) Satisfaction
Not my gumdrop buttons!

gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 3:27:22 PM

Ok last one...

Schrodinger's Cattery....

That way before you open the door to your club rooms your club could be both dead and alive!
Not my gumdrop buttons!

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 3:39:24 PM
At 1/20/2015 3:00:31 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

Is this an allusion to Sophie's World?
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 4:12:24 PM
At 1/20/2015 3:39:24 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Bingo!
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 11:49:28 PM
At 1/20/2015 3:03:24 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

Even better.....

(I Kant get no) Satisfaction

Good one; but if they really want to learn philosophy and have fun they have to put a sign on the door saying no girls allowed. They will get more philosophy in a shorter period of time than they ever thought possible.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:49:22 AM
Just outta interest, in my experience a club actually needs something to do in order to retain member interest. We had a chess club that died the moment we lost contact with our tutors and ceased competing against other schools. What does one do in a philosophy club? What is its purpose? Or is that what you plan to ponder?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:01:30 PM
At 1/20/2015 4:12:24 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

Bingo!

Is that book worth reading?
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:39:42 PM
At 1/21/2015 1:01:30 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Bingo!

Its actually a really good introduction to philosophy - very easily digestible with a good overview of the different schools of thought.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:48:35 PM
At 1/21/2015 1:39:42 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

Bingo!

Its actually a really good introduction to philosophy - very easily digestible with a good overview of the different schools of thought.

I just finished reading An Introduction to Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell, so I don't think it would really be necessary. But it sounds like it takes an interesting approach to explaining philosophy.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 2:04:33 PM
At 1/21/2015 1:48:35 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/21/2015 1:39:42 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

Bingo!

I just finished reading An Introduction to Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell, so I don't think it would really be necessary. But it sounds like it takes an interesting approach to explaining philosophy.

In that case its probably not necessary - its great in that it very much teaches philosophy by stealth. Quite sneaky really
Not my gumdrop buttons!

MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:11:39 PM

Put the name of the club up as a group decision to made across several meetings, this ought to drive interest. After you get a name decided upon, maybe have an election for club President. This too will drive interest, and hopefully keep attendance up. After you've got the basics established, try giving everybody assignments, like having everyone look for the weirdest philosophies out there and then having group discussions about them. Maybe once you're far along enough, you could have philosophical debates. Just do things that invest people in the club so that they return.
Guess what I used to type this..

Careful! Don't laugh too hard.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:47:32 PM
At 1/21/2015 7:11:39 PM, MyDinosaurHands wrote:

Put the name of the club up as a group decision to made across several meetings, this ought to drive interest. After you get a name decided upon, maybe have an election for club President. This too will drive interest, and hopefully keep attendance up. After you've got the basics established, try giving everybody assignments, like having everyone look for the weirdest philosophies out there and then having group discussions about them. Maybe once you're far along enough, you could have philosophical debates. Just do things that invest people in the club so that they return.

This sounds more like a politics club. :o)
Not my gumdrop buttons!

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 9:07:26 PM

Name: The Philosoraptors

Activities: each week, each member will vote on what branch of philosophy they wish to discuss; preferably at the end of the current session. Then, the next meeting you will discuss that chosen topic and some of you will go over great people, philosophical ideas in that branch of the times, etc.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:53:20 AM
At 1/21/2015 8:47:32 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

This sounds more like a politics club. :o)

If you want the club to stay successful, yeah, pretty much.

phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 8:55:37 AM

Thing is, I'm a student here, and I kind of want to ensure that the leadership title will be for me, ya feel?
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 10:13:25 AM
At 1/22/2015 8:55:37 AM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

Thing is, I'm a student here, and I kind of want to ensure that the leadership title will be for me, ya feel?

I do feel. I started a debate club at my school, and I didn't want some jacka** to take control and mess it all up. But I also wanted people to accept my rule and I wanted to get people interested, so I allowed an election to happen anyways. Trust me, as the guy that started the club, you get instant cred that any opponent won't have. All you've got to do is talk about how you're clearly dedicated to the club by referencing all the work you've done to get it started.

Gavagai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:07:22 AM
When I tried to advertise the existing philosophy club at my school I just made loads of posters confronting people with philosophical dilemmas. (How do you stop a cannibal eating you?-->moral realism vs non realism).
Could you ever make a machine with a mind? (Philosophy of mind...definition of the mind.)
If you try to just use chinese room straight off people get confused so the posters had to be one liners to make them think. You could try this if you wanted :P.