Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

The Value of Action

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:52:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Historically, Eastern religions placed a greater significance on being; yet, in the West, the greater significance was placed on doing. In the past, I had a greater tendency to appreciate Eastern thought because of my being immersed into a culture that valued actions over rest. Even though I still feel this way, I am starting to realize the value of action.

To demonstrate, my father loved my mother, tremendously; unfortunately, she died in May of 2009 after suffering with Alzheimer's for five years. Even though he loved her, he has no desire to have a relationship with her corpse even if it were perfectly preserved. The love he had for my mother was based on the interaction between the two of them. In other words, it was not directed toward, merely, her being but, also, her action. I believe people value things, for the most part, in as much as they have the ability to act or the capacity to facilitate action. In other words, money, in and of itself, has little value; however, because it allows one to do things, it is valued. In a free society, freedom is valued, very highly, because it allows one to act.