Jump to topic:

Defending eliminative materialism

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:12:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
First off, no I am not an eliminative materialist. However if my argument below is correct, I think it can be made plausible.

The biggest problem with EM is the seemingly obvious fact that we have experiences and this is what the mind is. We cannot be wrong in the fact of our experiences. As Searle put it, the appearance of the mind is the object in question.

If we can be wrong about our the appearance of experience, then the above objection fails and EM is back in the fight. Evidence from victims of Anton"Babinski syndrome seems to show we can be wrong about appearance of experience. People who suffer from this believe they can see, but cannot.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
" Anton"Babinski syndrome, also known as visual anosognosia, is a rare symptom of brain damage occurring in the occipital lobe. Those who suffer from it are "cortically blind", but affirm, often quite adamantly and in the face of clear evidence of their blindness, that they are capable of seeing. Failing to accept being blind, the sufferer dismisses evidence of his condition and employs confabulation to fill in the missing sensory input."

This makes it possible for us to think we have experiences but really don't. We could think see, hear, and have conscious experience in the world, but are really ontologically zombies.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:21:27 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:12:24 PM, n7 wrote:
First off, no I am not an eliminative materialist. However if my argument below is correct, I think it can be made plausible.

The biggest problem with EM is the seemingly obvious fact that we have experiences and this is what the mind is. We cannot be wrong in the fact of our experiences. As Searle put it, the appearance of the mind is the object in question.

If we can be wrong about our the appearance of experience, then the above objection fails and EM is back in the fight. Evidence from victims of Anton"Babinski syndrome seems to show we can be wrong about appearance of experience. People who suffer from this believe they can see, but cannot.

" Anton"Babinski syndrome, also known as visual anosognosia, is a rare symptom of brain damage occurring in the occipital lobe. Those who suffer from it are "cortically blind", but affirm, often quite adamantly and in the face of clear evidence of their blindness, that they are capable of seeing. Failing to accept being blind, the sufferer dismisses evidence of his condition and employs confabulation to fill in the missing sensory input."

This makes it possible for us to think we have experiences but really don't. We could think see, hear, and have conscious experience in the world, but are really ontologically zombies.

Don't you mean epistemologically zombies>
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:26:41 PM

A person with Anton Babinski syndrome may be wrong about the source of their experience, but that doesn't mean they aren't experiencing something very much like sight. The experience just isn't related to the outside world like they assume it is.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 11:46:34 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:21:27 PM, Envisage wrote:

Don't you mean epistemologically zombies>

No, he means ontologically. I'm interested in what you think about this though, being a nihilist. I take that you are a materialist, so what is your take on the OP?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 5:37:49 AM

What is the difference between this argument and saying that we might be dreaming, or brains in a vat?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:27:53 AM
At 1/22/2015 5:37:49 AM, sdavio wrote:

What is the difference between this argument and saying that we might be dreaming, or brains in a vat?

Both your situations still supposes consciousness. EM is attempting to remove that, therefore it argues that conscious experience can exist without consciousness, just like sight perception can be perceived without actual sight.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 7:54:47 AM
At 1/22/2015 6:27:53 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Both your situations still supposes consciousness. EM is attempting to remove that, therefore it argues that conscious experience can exist without consciousness, just like sight perception can be perceived without actual sight.

The brain in a vat has no eyes, so that is a sight experience without actual sight.

As for consciousness, I'm not sure what the difference is between "conscious experience" and "actual consciousness". What currently exists in me which I can differentiate from a living being with conscious experience but no consciousness? If there's no difference, then we're working with words that don't refer to anything.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 12:27:11 PM
At 1/22/2015 7:54:47 AM, sdavio wrote:

The brain in a vat has no eyes, so that is a sight experience without actual sight.

Not the point. The brain in a vat has sight experience, someone who accepts EM would say there isn't such a thing.
As for consciousness, I'm not sure what the difference is between "conscious experience" and "actual consciousness". What currently exists in me which I can differentiate from a living being with conscious experience but no consciousness? If there's no difference, then we're working with words that don't refer to anything.

EM says we are fundamentally like robots responding to the world and that our consciousness is an illusion of the brain. No such thing as "actual consciousness"
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 12:29:12 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:26:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

A person with Anton Babinski syndrome may be wrong about the source of their experience, but that doesn't mean they aren't experiencing something very much like sight. The experience just isn't related to the outside world like they assume it is.

This is a good point. Are they really not experiencing something or are they just mistaken? Although the current hypothesis accepts no processing is happening in the visual cortex

http://books.google.com...

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 12:39:34 PM
At 1/22/2015 12:27:11 PM, n7 wrote:

Not the point. The brain in a vat has sight experience, someone who accepts EM would say there isn't such a thing.

EM says we are fundamentally like robots responding to the world and that our consciousness is an illusion of the brain. No such thing as "actual consciousness"

I wonder if such a hypothesis would be framed along the same lines as the emergent 'passing of time' in an eternalist world. Since for a god-like observer, the universe just exists static, yet from first-person perspective inside the universe, change is seen. The same for consciousness in a eliminative ontology maybe>
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 12:56:09 PM
Really notions of disproving consciousness etc. are quite dumb. I mean, it all comes down to stoner-type ponderings of '...but what **is** such and such?' We're not afforded answers, it's that simple. There **is** something mystical and transcendent about being. If you confine consciousness, then; if you put it down to such and such ... oh, but what is such and such? and we're right back where we started. And there is no final answer. And consciousness is the be-all and end-all of the **is**. Heck, it's not even possible to recreate; not for sure; because it is **the** subjective experience...

We wonder at ourselves rather than the world, because we contain the world. Might as well ask 'but what is existence?' as 'what is consciousness?'.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 12:58:43 PM
This wiki is awesome if just for those two concepts in the introduction ('time out of time' and 'everywhen'): http://en.wikipedia.org...
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:24:55 PM

I've never understood how people can attempt to explain something by claiming it doesn't exist, "it is just an illusion" is not explanatory.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:27:42 PM
At 1/22/2015 12:29:12 PM, n7 wrote:

This is a good point. Are they really not experiencing something or are they just mistaken? Although the current hypothesis accepts no processing is happening in the visual cortex

What sounds more plausible: that these people don't know when they're experiencing something and when they're not, or that scientists have come across an experience which they are, as of yet, unable to tie to some process in the brain? The brain is still far too mysterious for scientists to be making such claims.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:29:02 PM

The phrase "conscious experience can exist without consciousness" is meaningless, it makes no sense at all.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:32:21 PM
At 1/22/2015 12:27:11 PM, n7 wrote:

EM is the illusion, it attributes explanatory power to the word illusion but there is nothing there.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 4:48:21 PM
At 1/22/2015 3:27:42 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

What sounds more plausible: that these people don't know when they're experiencing something and when they're not, or that scientists have come across an experience which they are, as of yet, unable to tie to some process in the brain? The brain is still far too mysterious for scientists to be making such claims.

I would tend to agree that they would be experiencing something, but are mistaken.

I would think an EM would respond with it being simpler than actual experience and backed by current science. It would be less ad hoc to claim they are being tricked into believing they can see.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 4:54:03 PM
At 1/22/2015 3:24:55 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

I've never understood how people can attempt to explain something by claiming it doesn't exist, "it is just an illusion" is not explanatory.

It would explain things by dissolving the problem. Ludwig Wittgenstein gave the analogy of releasing the fly out of the bottle. Instead of trying to make the fly comfortable (solving the problem) you release it (dissolve the problem). EM wouldn't have any problem of consciousness, it wouldn't have answer the problems with dualism nor regular materialism.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 5:47:40 PM
At 1/22/2015 4:48:21 PM, n7 wrote:

I would tend to agree that they would be experiencing something, but are mistaken.

I would think an EM would respond with it being simpler than actual experience and backed by current science. It would be less ad hoc to claim they are being tricked into believing they can see.

What does "simpler than actual experience" mean?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:07:25 PM
At 1/22/2015 4:54:03 PM, n7 wrote:
At 1/22/2015 3:24:55 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

It would explain things by dissolving the problem. Ludwig Wittgenstein gave the analogy of releasing the fly out of the bottle. Instead of trying to make the fly comfortable (solving the problem) you release it (dissolve the problem). EM wouldn't have any problem of consciousness, it wouldn't have answer the problems with dualism nor regular materialism.

But if the fly is worth keeping that kind of defeats the point.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:12:50 PM
There is no dissolving the problem. Elementary particles are just as bewildering as what they make up. And then consciousness is the apex of existence.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:20:57 PM
An error in sensory input and being a philosophical zombie aren't the same, by the way. The question asked in the Hard Problem is essentially 'Why the illusion?" You can't just say "Look, someone thought they could see, but they couldn't." Still the illusion. Consciousness is something other than the basic mechanics of cause and effect (which humans could theoretically operate by - unfeeling).
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:29:41 PM
At 1/22/2015 6:20:57 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
An error in sensory input and being a philosophical zombie aren't the same, by the way. The question asked in the Hard Problem is essentially 'Why the illusion?" You can't just say "Look, someone thought they could see, but they couldn't." Still the illusion. Consciousness is something other than the basic mechanics of cause and effect (which humans could theoretically operate by - unfeeling).

Actually, I guess you have a point, lol. Forgot what thread I was in.

You still have to answer to what the pain etc. actually is, then, though. Eliminative materialism yadda yadda.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:30:38 PM
At 1/22/2015 5:47:40 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Simpler than them actually experiencing something

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:31:41 PM
At 1/22/2015 6:30:38 PM, n7 wrote:

So like memory?
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:33:50 PM

You've misunderstood the argument. I am not saying believing someone is experiencing something when the aren't means they're P-zombies. I am saying it refutes the idea the we cannot be wrong the there exists experience.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:34:20 PM
At 1/22/2015 6:31:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

So like memory?

I'm not sure what you mean.

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:38:18 PM
At 1/22/2015 6:33:50 PM, n7 wrote:

You've misunderstood the argument. I am not saying believing someone is experiencing something when the aren't means they're P-zombies. I am saying it refutes the idea the we cannot be wrong the there exists experience.

An error in consciousness's computing of its own senses doesn't negate actual experience, though. Faulty experience is still experience.

(Actually, maybe I wasn't so befuddled as I thought, lol.)
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:38:48 PM
At 1/22/2015 6:34:20 PM, n7 wrote:
At 1/22/2015 6:31:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

So like memory?

I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm trying to figure out what you're talking about.